[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] DCTV, Toasters, etc.

walter@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Walter Lawlor) (06/17/91)

Do anybody know of any anonymous ftp sites where I can obtain DCTV pictures or
animations?  Also, is there any sites that have 3-D objects that would be
suitable for LightWave 3-D?

Is there anyway I can play back DCTV animations at a resonably fast rate? I've
used many different PD programs such as Showanim, TIV, and a couple a
(Make that 'a couple of')
commercial programs such as DPaint III and AmigaVision.  I'm using DCTV with a
25Mhz 6MB A3000 system. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Walter Lawlor for Shane Sullivan

James_Hastings-Trew@tptbbs.UUCP (James Hastings-Trew) (06/18/91)

In a message dated Mon 17 Jun 91 13:18, Walter@garfield.cs.mun.ca (walter L
wrote:

 WL> Is there anyway I can play back DCTV animations at a resonably fast
 WL> rate? I've
 WL> used many different PD programs such as Showanim, TIV, and a couple a

I use VIEW 2.0. I can display MOST DCTV anims at 30 FPS on my 25Mz A2500/30.
However, there are a couple of catches (aren't there always?)

If the ANIM has a LOT of movement from one frame to another, you will get
slower throughput if they are compressed. If you have such an ANIM it would
be better to have it uncompressed (if you've got the memory for it that
is...). Most of the ANIMS I have produced have worked fine at 30 fps using
standard delta compression of the frames.

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun16.235006.7111@garfield.cs.mun.ca> walter@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Walter Lawlor) writes:
Also, is there any sites that have 3-D objects that would be
>suitable for LightWave 3-D?

I just posted this for some one else but...LightWave will accept any Sculpt
or VideoScape object so you do not need to hunt down PD LightWave objects.

>Is there anyway I can play back DCTV animations at a resonably fast rate?

When converting your IFF24 image to DCTV format, use something like:
spat ifftodctv anim??? -w640 -h200 -d3
This is the lowest allowable color and spacial resolution but will allow
even fairly complex animations to play back at 30Hz using most animation
programs (provided you run on a 68030 based system). Note that for good
playback speed at higher color and spatial resolutions, you cannot move
the camera, only a few objects in your scene may be dynamic. You might
want to take a look at the August Amazing Computing when its available.
I wrote an article on LightWave tips and techniques which covers tricks,
undocumented features, animation recording, and upcomimg enhancements
for LightWave. Unfortunately, they are going to print HAM versions of the
24bit images I submitted :-(
%      `       '        Mark Thompson                 CONCURRENT COMPUTER  %
% --==* RADIANT *==--   mark@westford.ccur.com        Principal Graphics   %
%      ' Image `        ...!uunet!masscomp!mark       Hardware Architect   %
%     Productions       (508)392-2480 (603)424-1829   & General Nuisance   %