[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Molec3D

jordan@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth D Jordan) (06/21/91)

Has anyone had any luck in getting Molec3D (ff482) on abcfd20 to work?

The manual claims that it runs on all Amigas, but I tried it on an old
A1000 with 2.5M and on a 25MHz A3000 with 8M, and both produce an

	Undefined connect-item: O56\n

error message when loading the atrovenetin demo.

                          ----------------------------
                        /         Nick Nystrom         \
                       <    University of Pittsburgh    >
                        \      nystrom@a.psc.edu       /
                          ----------------------------

civir1070@ucsvax.sdsu.edu (FURRY R) (06/21/91)

In article <142366@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jordan@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth D Jordan) writes...
>Has anyone had any luck in getting Molec3D (ff482) on abcfd20 to work?
>
>The manual claims that it runs on all Amigas, but I tried it on an old
>A1000 with 2.5M and on a 25MHz A3000 with 8M, and both produce an
>
>	Undefined connect-item: O56\n
>
>error message when loading the atrovenetin demo.
>
>                          ----------------------------
>                        /         Nick Nystrom         \
>                       <    University of Pittsburgh    >
>                        \      nystrom@a.psc.edu       /
>                          ----------------------------

   I've been running Molec3D on a 500 w/3 megs, 512k chip, and everything
seems to work great.
   Does anybody know of an archive of files that will work with either
Molec3D or the IBM Alchemy software?

/ |CIVIR1070@ucsvax.sdsu.edu| Q: Is there a UNIX FORTRAN optomizer? \
\ |    Scott Ellis          | A: Yeah, "rm *.f"    _                /
/ |_________________________|                   _ // Amiga          \
\_______________________________________________\X/_________________/

rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) (06/21/91)

In article <142366@unix.cis.pitt.edu> jordan@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth D Jordan) writes:
>Has anyone had any luck in getting Molec3D (ff482) on abcfd20 to work?

>The manual claims that it runs on all Amigas, but I tried it on an old
>A1000 with 2.5M and on a 25MHz A3000 with 8M, and both produce an

It works just fine on my 3000 (25 MHz w/6M).  Unfortionatly
The 500 atom limit is a bit small for the proteins I'm interested in.

>	Undefined connect-item: O56\n
>error message when loading the atrovenetin demo.

I would guess that you had some sort error when downloading.  Try it
again.

Rick

_____________________________.sig____________________________________
The generic .sig          Rick Blewitt     rblewitt@ucsd.edu

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) (06/22/91)

In article <20827@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) writes:
>[Molec3D] works just fine on my 3000 (25 MHz w/6M).  Unfortionatly
>The 500 atom limit is a bit small for the proteins I'm interested in.

Well, I guess I shouldn't hit it with superoxide dismutase, then...
(a 4380+ atom molecule we're using as a test case for a parallel chemistry
package being developed here).

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126
Skate UNIX! (curb fault: skater dumped)

rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun21.181649.25505@menudo.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) writes:
>In article <20827@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) writes:
>>[Molec3D] works just fine on my 3000 (25 MHz w/6M).  Unfortionatly
>>The 500 atom limit is a bit small for the proteins I'm interested in.
>
>Well, I guess I shouldn't hit it with superoxide dismutase, then...
>(a 4380+ atom molecule we're using as a test case for a parallel chemistry
>package being developed here).

For what system are you developing this package?  I'd love to be
able to do some work at home instead of going to lab (although the
Iris in the lab is nice to play with).  If it isn't for the Amiga,
then I guess I'll just have to get back to my plans of writing on
myself.

In article <20843@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) writes:
>In article <1991Jun21.181649.25505@menudo.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) writes:
>>Well, I guess I shouldn't hit it with superoxide dismutase, then...
>>(a 4380+ atom molecule we're using as a test case for a parallel chemistry
>>package being developed here).
>
>For what system are you developing this package?  I'd love to be
>able to do some work at home instead of going to lab (although the
>Iris in the lab is nice to play with).  If it isn't for the Amiga,
>then I guess I'll just have to get back to my plans of writing on
>myself.

Har.  This package is a general parallel computing package written
in a language invented here for that very purpose.  Currently it
runs in an Intel iPSC/860.  We see > Cray-2 performance with
16 i860 nodes.

Now if a friend of mine gets off his but and builds is dream
parallel machine (bunch of '030s in a box with an ethernet port) maybe
we'll see it running on a machine that costs < $300,000. :-)

--

In article <1991Jun21.222643.14055@menudo.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) writes:

>Har.  This package is a general parallel computing package written
>in a language invented here for that very purpose.  Currently it
>runs in an Intel iPSC/860.  We see > Cray-2 performance with
>16 i860 nodes.

>Now if a friend of mine gets off his but and builds is dream
>parallel machine (bunch of '030s in a box with an ethernet port) maybe
>we'll see it running on a machine that costs < $300,000. :-)

I know this is diverging from the Amiga a bit, but have you looked
at the algorythms put out by Klaus Schulten's group?  They were
working with a connections machine, and a homebrew setup consisting
of 20 t-800 transputers sitting in a PC.  Got about 1/4th cray speed
for ~20K, the connections setup was much faster than the cray
(actually, they said that the cray would not even work with large
systems).  Getting back to the Amiga, a few multiprocessing boards
stuffed in Zorro III slots,  along with a 34020 graphics board setup
could make on hell of a killer modeling workstation, for a mere
$25-30K.