[comp.sys.amiga.audio] Beginner w/ Questions

axpmw@acad2.anc.alaska.edu (01/11/91)

Hello,

I'm a beginner in the music area and want to hook up my two synths
and drum machine to my Amiga 3000.  What type of interface would someone
recommend?  Also what type of software?  They are Casio CZ5000 synths
and a Korg drum machine (the model escapes me at the moment)

                             Pam Woods (AXPMW@ALASKA)
                             C/o Computing and Technology Services (CATS)
                             CAS Bldg Rm 127
                             University Of Alaska Anchorage
                             3211 Providence Drive
                             Anchorage, Alaska 99508
                             (907) 786-1889
                             FAX (907) 786-4813

kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) (01/12/91)

In article <1991Jan10.185739.1@acad2.anc.alaska.edu> axpmw@acad2.anc.alaska.edu writes:

>Hello,
>
>I'm a beginner in the music area and want to hook up my two synths
>and drum machine to my Amiga 3000.  What type of interface would someone
>recommend?  Also what type of software?  They are Casio CZ5000 synths
>and a Korg drum machine (the model escapes me at the moment)

Virtually any MIDI interface will work.  It is doubtful that you'll
notice any MIDI delay, so it depends on what bells and whistles you want
from the interface.  Personally, I use an ECE, but that's because I wanted
a bare-bones, no frills MIDI interface.  For your system, it depends on what
you want to do.  Do you want to  be able to play on your drum machines and
synths and record?  In that case you'll need an interface with multiple
MIDI IN and MIDI OUTs, or an external MIDI patch bay.

If, on the other hand, you only need to have the Amiga play your synths,
then a simple Midi interface will do.  You connect the MIDI out of the
interface to the MIDI in of one synth, MIDI THRU of that first synth to MIDI
IN of the second synth, and MIDI THRU of the second synth to MIDI IN of
the third synth.

>                             Pam Woods (AXPMW@ALASKA)
>                             C/o Computing and Technology Services (CATS)

CATS caught my attention all right! *grin*

				-- Kevin --

Kevin Klop		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!kevin
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

	``Be excellent to each other.''
		- Bill and Ted's most excellent adventure

Disclaimer: _I_ don't know what I said, much less my employer.