[comp.sys.amiga.audio] Phonetic Dictionary?

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (01/26/91)

In article <1475@urbana.mcd.mot.com> ebina@urbana.mcd.mot.com (Eric Bina) writes:
>I really like the Amiga Say facility, but you only get decent sounding speech
>if you use the phonetic spelling of the words.  Does there already exist
>anywhere out there a dictionary where I can look up a work, and get back its
>phonetic spelling to hand to Say?  I would hate to go to all the trouble of
>making one, if one already exists.
>
>Eric Bina
>ebina@urbana.mcd.mot.com

Most dictionaries have a pronunciation guide along with the definition.
Usually, though, the guide is full of squiggles, accent marks, and other
funny characters and is loosely derived from IPA (International Phonetic
Alphabet).  `Say' doesn't use IPA, as I recall, but something different.
Somebody who knows phonetics should be able to translate back and forth
with little trouble, but many people don't know phonetics.

The problem with your question is that there isn't *one* standard way
of doing "phonetic spellings".  The Amiga-Say method is one variety.
Each dictionary seems to have its own variation, and IPA is yet another
variation of the same idea.

So you probably *already* have a dictionary full of phonetic spellings ...

	Have fun,

		David
--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>