[comp.sys.amiga.audio] Player for DMCS file?

nnn@po.CWRU.Edu (Nik N. Nik Mahdi) (01/25/91)

Hi,
  Is there any PD software that can play DMCS music file, something
like "Play" to play SONIX and SMUS files?
  If you know, please tell me where to get it. Thanks.

--
kjfyrwhgbvcxxbmiltioyrazsgwqashhfdhyjhmnmygikuykjiyttqsgffhipkkur
hgthtywqegzbvxmmjkjltiourwagagfgzrqtrtwythgshgiuitpukjhfrewqvcxzh

steve@wildcat.UUCP (Steve Holland) (01/28/91)

>In article <1991Jan25.033329.13401@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> nnn@po.CWRU.Edu (Nik N. Nik Mahdi) writes:
>  Is there any PD software that can play DMCS music file, something
>like "Play" to play SONIX and SMUS files?

Save it as a ".smus" file from DMCS!

------------>Steve Holland<-----------
Internet: wildcat!steve@alfalfa.com  | "To err is human, but to really foul
USENET: ..bu!alphalpha!wildcat!steve |  things up requires a computer."
<if alfalfa doesn't work, try alphalpha>

AMIGA@MTUS5.BITNET (Mr. Prezident) (01/28/91)

What if I want to play the MIDI stuff???  I don't recall .smus players knowing
how to handle DMCS MIDI stuff, and I need something with fairly quick access
for live performance...  Loading things into DMCS isn't the problem (i.e. HD).
The problem is that DMCS takes sooooo long to process the stuff before it gets
around to playing it, even with simple scores, and mine have 8 staves with two
parts to most staves and they're long...

+--------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

robert@chakra.enet.dec.com (Robert M. Gerber) (01/29/91)

In article <steve.3672@wildcat.UUCP>, steve@wildcat.UUCP (Steve Holland)
writes:
|>>In article <1991Jan25.033329.13401@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>
|>nnn@po.CWRU.Edu (Nik N. Nik Mahdi) writes:
|>>  Is there any PD software that can play DMCS music file, something
|>>like "Play" to play SONIX and SMUS files?
|>
|>Save it as a ".smus" file from DMCS!

	Unfortunatly this loses a lot of information that the DMCS format has
and the SMUS format doesn't.  Some scores that sound ok under DMCS (in
DMCS format) sound lousy when played from an SMUS file (even if played
in DMCS).
---------
Robert M. Gerber		  UUCP:	...!decwrl!leddev.enet!gerber
				  INET:	gerber@leddev.enet.dec.com

Any opinions represented here are definetly not those of my employer.
Come to think of it, they may not be mine either!

brian@sky.COM (Brian Pelletier) (01/29/91)

In article <steve.3672@wildcat.UUCP> wildcat!steve@alphalpha.com writes:
>>In article <1991Jan25.033329.13401@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> nnn@po.CWRU.Edu (Nik N. Nik Mahdi) writes:
>>  Is there any PD software that can play DMCS music file, something
>>like "Play" to play SONIX and SMUS files?
>
>Save it as a ".smus" file from DMCS!

While this works, the music will probably not sound nearly as good as it did
from DMCS.  I've had to use this conversion technique often to get DMCS
scores to load into Deluxe Video III, and I HATE having to do it.  Has anyone
seen, touched, or heard rumors about a real DMCS file player?  Even after
converting to .SMUS, some of the PD players choke on the DMCS instruments.....

Brian Pelletier, Hardware guy | Disclaimer: These are MY opinions, not SKY's.
Sky Computer  Chelmsford, MA  | Amiga!  UUCP: pelletier@grove.uucp (home)
UUCP: brian@sky.com (work)    | Plink: TACK