[comp.sys.amiga.audio] Any music prg that works w/2.0?

torkell@ifi.uio.no (Torkel Lodberg) (02/04/91)

I run OS 2.0 on an Amiga 3000. Until now I haven't found a single
music program (like Sonix or MED) that will work with OS 2.0 on
the A3000 - this really proves how stupid it was to remove that
CIA timer which is used by just about every multitasking music
program on the Amiga.

Does a music program exist that works w/OS 2.0 and the A3000?
The program must multitask.

T.Lodberg

C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) (02/05/91)

In Message-ID: <CMM.0.88.665663912.torkell@kvart.ifi.uio.no>
          torkell@ifi.uio.no (Torkel Lodberg) said:
>I run OS 2.0 on an Amiga 3000. Until now I haven't found a single
>music program (like Sonix or MED) that will work with OS 2.0 on
>the A3000 - this really proves how stupid it was to remove that
>CIA timer which is used by just about every multitasking music
>program on the Amiga.
>
>Does a music program exist that works w/OS 2.0 and the A3000?
>The program must multitask.

     You can use Sonix and MED on a 3000 with 2.0!  First you must run a
patch program to change the references to CIA timer A to CIA timer B.  The
program you need is in the file SonixPatch.lzh on ab20.larc.nasa.gov in the
incoming/amiga directory.  Try it...

| Baird McIntosh | c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet |
|    "K I L L   T H E   R A T !"  -- seen on a sign at a pro-Gulf_War rally |
|                                                                           |

ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) (02/05/91)

DMCS works fine.  Sonix also works, although you need to run a patch
program on it.

Mike Shapiro
ms0p@andrew.cmu.edu
I don't live in fantasy; I only work there.

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) (02/06/91)

In article <CMM.0.88.665663912.torkell@kvart.ifi.uio.no> torkell@ifi.uio.no (Torkel Lodberg) writes:
>I run OS 2.0 on an Amiga 3000. Until now I haven't found a single
>music program (like Sonix or MED) that will work with OS 2.0 on
>the A3000 - this really proves how stupid it was to remove that
>CIA timer which is used by just about every multitasking music
>program on the Amiga.
>
>Does a music program exist that works w/OS 2.0 and the A3000?
>The program must multitask.

DMCS
Sonix (which can be patched)
MusicX
Music Mouse :-)

>T.Lodberg

		andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"God was able to create the world in only seven days because there
 was no installed base to consider."

abair@turbinia.sps.mot.com (Alan Bair) (02/06/91)

MED2.13 will work, but it needs to be patched to use the other CIA.
I was just running it before I read your posting.  The fixed version
can be found on our friendly Amiga FTP site, abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov.

Just to be clear, I have an A3000 with 2.02 and 1.3, both of which
support the patched MED just fine.
--
Alan Bair                 SSDT (formerly SPS CAD)
Motorola, Inc.            Logic Simulation & Test

prf@otter.hpl.hp.com (Paul Freeman) (02/06/91)

I tried SONIX patch on MED with no success. No mention is made
in the readme re. whether it has to be run on source or object
code. I tried it on object. No luck.

torkell@ifi.uio.no (Torkel Lodberg) (02/08/91)

I have heard that using the CIA B timer will give you problems
while using terminal programs? Is this true? I run a multi-node
BBS system with two high speed modems (38400 / 19200 baud) and
would like to use run MED simultaneously using OS 2.0. Will
the patch that patches CIA A -> CIA B cause any problems?

T.Lodberg