[comp.sys.amiga.audio] Recommandations on MIDI Keyboards?

maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent (Human1)) (02/13/91)

	Hello, I'm Bill.

Recently, I started taking this electronic class that use MIDI and a whole bunch
of MIDI instruments/keyboards to creat music.   But I'm very lost.

I thought that I might practice these stuffs at home, with my amiga500.  If
possible.   The equipment that I'm using in the school is MAC.  And the software
is Pro-MasterTrack.  (Is there a similar software for Amiga?)

Next thing.  I will need a MIDI compatible keyboard to play with. So, what
keyboard/MIDI would you recommand?  I'm not rich, so I will most likely to look
for it in the classified section in the paper  (Or is there a better source?)

I'm budget is around $100-$150.  and a MIDI interface too.

Thanks for your help.

--
[------Billy-----Maxc1553@UCSELX.SDSU.EDU------Human1-----]
[_______"""""_____""""""""""""""""""""""""______""""""____]

hadis@pilot.njin.net (Benjamin Hadis) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb12.194814.8261@ucselx.sdsu.edu>, maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent (Human1)) writes:

> 	Hello, I'm Bill.
>
> Recently, I started taking this electronic class that use MIDI and a whole bunch
> of MIDI instruments/keyboards to creat music.   But I'm very lost.
>
> I thought that I might practice these stuffs at home, with my amiga500.  If
> possible.   The equipment that I'm using in the school is MAC.  And the software
> is Pro-MasterTrack.  (Is there a similar software for Amiga?

Hello,
	A good and cheap Amiga program from MasterTracks is Trax, I am
also looking for a MIDI setup, and I decided I want this one. Trax
costs $58.95 from a mail-order. The cheapest MIDI interface I found
costs $40.00. Then, you need a keyboard that is MIDI compatible. I
have a Casio MT-240. If you're willing to spend more than $100, don't
buy this keyboard. The problem with the keyboard is that it will not
play back more than 2 tracks(I think).

JMMEYERS@MTUS5.BITNET (John Meyers) (02/14/91)

In article <Feb.12.16.52.43.1991.23520@pilot.njin.net>, hadis@pilot.njin.net
(Benjamin Hadis) says:

> [deleted]... Then, you need a keyboard that is MIDI compatible. I
>have a Casio MT-240. If you're willing to spend more than $100, don't
>buy this keyboard. The problem with the keyboard is that it will not
>play back more than 2 tracks(I think).

Nyet. The Casio MT-240 will support THREE separate tracks. They consist
of : 1) 6 voice track
     2) 4 voice track
     3) 2 voice track
Each track can have its own instrument, from a choice 30 instruments.
(Most sound great, too. Best piano I've ever heard in a keyboard <$500.)

BUT, I often use the one track mode which allows for 10 polyphonic voices,
all the same instrument. (True, you can have 12 the other way, but this method
is easier to use for, say, a piano sonata with 8 or 9 notes at any time.)

Damn fine keyboard, damn fine price.

One thing to note is that its MIDI channels are non-selectable. So, Track
1 is always MIDI channel 1, track 2 is 2, and track 3 is 3. This means
1) You can have two MT-240/MT-540's hooked up at once, and 2), your other
keyboards will have to stay away from channels 1-3.

                                             John

  __        ,                 |John Michael Meyers -> JMMEYERS@MTUS5.BITNET
 (_/_ /     /)) _    _  _   _ |"I only laughed away your tears...
 _/(//)/)  / / (-'(/(-'/ ' '-,|    ... nut even Jesters cry!"-Marrilion