[comp.sys.amiga.audio] SMUS vs MED songs

C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) (02/13/91)

A developer I know recently brought his 3000 to our local club meeting.  He
hadn't had a chance to play with AmigaVision, so he played one of the
demos that came with it.  While AmigaVision was neat, the SMUS score that
accompanied the demo was awful.

The problem with the SMUS scores I've heard is that they use one-shot
sampled instruments with one-volume/ADSR characteristics.  There aren't many
sustained voices in a SMUS score and in any case SMUS scores sound rough.
I know there are exceptions, but you can get much smoother results and much
more interesting songs with MED or one of the 'Tracker programs.

I propose that Commodore adopt a native Amiga music format similar to or
equivalent to the MED song format.  Call it SuperSMUS... whatever.
This probably belongs in .advocacy, but don't worry: I'm not going to
keep ranting about it.  I just think that you can do a lot more with MED.
If only MED had a traditional musician's interface, we'd win many more over.

| Baird McIntosh | c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet |
|    "K I L L   T H E   R A T !"  -- seen on a sign at a pro-Gulf_War rally |
|                                                                           |

jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) (02/15/91)

C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) writes:

[...]
>demos that came with it.  While AmigaVision was neat, the SMUS score that
>accompanied the demo was awful.

I used to think SMUS scores sounded neat too.  Until I head ST/NT :-).

[...]
>I know there are exceptions, but you can get much smoother results and much
>more interesting songs with MED or one of the 'Tracker programs.

Part of that is due to the effects and things you can do dynamically with
*tracker programs (slides, appregios, etc), and the simplicity of the
scoreing system (simplicity of implementation, not use :-).

>I propose that Commodore adopt a native Amiga music format similar to or
>equivalent to the MED song format.  Call it SuperSMUS... whatever.
>This probably belongs in .advocacy, but don't worry: I'm not going to
>keep ranting about it.  I just think that you can do a lot more with MED.
>If only MED had a traditional musician's interface, we'd win many more over.

Med's formats were a step in the right direction.  Perhaps the author will
come out with an IFF'ized module format.

C'ya,
Jim

--
+--------------------------+      _