[comp.sys.amiga.audio] NTModules

C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) (02/16/91)

Wow.  I downloaded Module Master to play my modules... pretty cool.  I've
now listened to 'klisje paa klisje' and 'rainy night' and those two are
the most carefully crafted modules I have heard.  This is the best music,
using only Amiga voices, that I have heard!

Can anyone with an ear for this stuff tell me the names of any other modules
on ab20.larc.nasa.gov that are so well done?

On a different note, I use Module Master with the PAL button selected at all
times... I'm running on an NTSC Amiga.  This makes the songs play at the
correct speed.  However, if I am able to load these same songs into MED2.13,
they play at the correct speed as well.  Here's my point:  MED is doing some
tempo correction for NTSC Amigas, right?  Since MED uses CIA timer A (or B :-)
I guess it can adjust these things quite easily.

On a final note, for those who claim that 'klisje paa klisje' doesn't play
right in MED 2.13 (something about the $03 portamento?), I think it does play
correctly.  I noticed no difference in playing it in MED or Module Master.
In either program, I notice two instances of 'clicking' in the first half of
the song... I haven't tried to track this down yet, but I will.

| Baird McIntosh | c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet |
|    "K I L L   T H E   R A T !"  -- seen on a sign at a pro-Gulf_War rally |
|                                                                           |

t22918@ursa.calvin.edu (Matt Ranney) (02/16/91)

Baird McIntosh <C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU> writes:

>Can anyone with an ear for this stuff tell me the names of any other modules
>on ab20.larc.nasa.gov that are so well done?

I can't think of any one thats better than kpk, but check the previous
few messages.  They list some other good ones.

>On a final note, for those who claim that 'klisje paa klisje' doesn't play
>right in MED 2.13 (something about the $03 portamento?), I think it does play
>correctly.  I noticed no difference in playing it in MED or Module Master.
>In either program, I notice two instances of 'clicking' in the first half of
>the song... I haven't tried to track this down yet, but I will.

I didn't notice anything different either.  I did, however notice the
clicking you mentioned.  I thought perhaps I had a bad copy.  It
happens toward the end of the first section, right before the piano
part.  I'm sure it woulnd't be too big of a deal to hack that out of there.

--
Matt Ranney                     "There are a few occasions where you do
t22918@ursa.calvin.edu           need to use a 'GOTO'... but... well

C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) (02/16/91)

In Message-ID: <21183@know.pws.bull.com>
          C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) said:
>[...]
>On a different note, I use Module Master with the PAL button selected at all
>times... I'm running on an NTSC Amiga.  This makes the songs play at the
>correct speed.  However, if I am able to load these same songs into MED2.13,
>they play at the correct speed as well.  Here's my point:  MED is doing some
>tempo correction for NTSC Amigas, right?  Since MED uses CIA timer A (or B :-)
>I guess it can adjust these things quite easily.

I wrote the above message... boy do I feel silly. :-) Upon further
investigatiion, I don't think MED is doing any tempo correction... but I'm
not absolutely certain.  See below for more silly messages:

>On a final note, for those who claim that 'klisje paa klisje' doesn't play
>right in MED 2.13 (something about the $03 portamento?), I think it does play
>correctly.  I noticed no difference in playing it in MED or Module Master.

Now I loaded 'klisje paa klisje' into MED again, and YES the $03 portamento
has a different sound (i.e. NO sound) when 'kpk' is played in MED.  To hear
that song correctly, you must use Module Master or some other *tracker player.

>In either program, I notice two instances of 'clicking' in the first half of
>the song... I haven't tried to track this down yet, but I will.

Actually, I think I only heard the clicking in Module Master.  AS to the
comments that MM seems buggy:  I agree.  It's had memory allocation problems
when I've tried to load another module after a big module.

| Baird McIntosh | c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet |
|    "K I L L   T H E   R A T !"  -- seen on a sign at a pro-Gulf_War rally |
|                                                                           |

jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) (02/16/91)

C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) writes:

[...]
>they play at the correct speed as well.  Here's my point:  MED is doing some
>tempo correction for NTSC Amigas, right?  Since MED uses CIA timer A (or B :-)
>I guess it can adjust these things quite easily.

Nope.  The point of using a CIA timer is that you don't have to worry about
video mode.  The video mode doesn't affect a CIA timer.  The vblank interrupt
changes frequency in different video modes.  The PAL screen has more vertical
resolution, therefore vertical blanking (a period in which the electron gun(s)
are turned off [blanked] and the magnetic fields are set up to point the
electron stream back to the upper left of corner of the screen from the bottom
right) takes longer, making the vertical blank interrupt occur less frequently
under PAL, and more frequently under NTSC.  Hence, the songs go into hi-speed
mode under NTSC.  (vblank on NTSC is every 1/60s and 1/50s under PAL).

>On a final note, for those who claim that 'klisje paa klisje' doesn't play
>right in MED 2.13 (something about the $03 portamento?), I think it does play
>correctly.  I noticed no difference in playing it in MED or Module Master.
>In either program, I notice two instances of 'clicking' in the first half of
>the song... I haven't tried to track this down yet, but I will.

Yes.  In Med 2.13, Portamento is broken.  When you give the portamento command
with a data byte of $00, it is supposed to use the last-used portamento
value.  Med's player routine just sets it to $00, which is a bug.  I've fixed
that in Trackplay, which uses a modified version of modplayer.a which comes
with Med 2.10.

C'ya,
Jim

--