[comp.sys.amiga.audio] Music program

mager@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Rainer V Mager) (02/06/91)

Hi, two things, both relating to music program:
1:  What is a good music program out there by music program I mean:
	A:  I can enter notes
	B:  I can manipulate the notes (volume, size, instrument, etc)

	I'd also like to to be quick (I dont like the window refresh
time in DMCS, but I don't like the volume etc limitations of Sonix.

2:  Is there any music program out there that allows more than 4 voices
simultaneously (without hardware uphgrade)?  I was thinking since it is
possible to mix digitized sounds (like DMCS instruments) wouldn't it be
possible to mix them on the fly to play more than one instrument per
channel?  Or would there be too many time and memory constraints?  Just
a thought.

Also for whatever music programs there are a seperate player is a must,
preferable something that can just play the music from cli/WB without
lots of gadgets,windows,etc  also someway to incorporate text in time to
the music, such as maybe a bouncing ball on the words in time to the
music would be great, thanx in advance.

Rainer

mager@unix.cis.pitt.edu

dgold@basso.actrix.gen.nz (Dale Gold) (02/08/91)

Quoted from mager@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Rainer V Mager):
>  Is there any music program out there that allows more than 4 voices
> simultaneously (without hardware upgrade)?  I was thinking since it is
> possible to mix digitized sounds (like DMCS instruments) wouldn't it be
> possible to mix them on the fly to play more than one instrument per
> channel?  Or would there be too many time and memory constraints?

Well, in theory, a string quartet plays 4 part music just like an Amiga,
but it's easy for them to play a 16 note chord.  We just have to be a bit
more clever to get the effect.  If you want music with lots of sustained
notes, there's not a lot you can do about it, but here are a couple of
ideas to try:

1- You can make a rhythm track for instance, that uses lots of sounds
   on one channel. So you might have a string of 8th notes like:

   Bass-Hihat-Snare-GuitarChord-Bass-Shaker-Snare-BrokenGlass etc,etc

   That might clumsy with DMCS, since one stave would be awfully cluttered
   with all those voice changes, but I you should be able to achieve the
   same effect by using extra staves.

   Since the bass & bass drum often play the same rhythms in pop music,
   you could use a sample editor to mix the two together. (and maybe
   have seperate bass/kick sounds for variety as well. Using 2 versions
   of the same sample with different dynamics can help to spice things
   up in a music program that doesn't allow different sample volumes.

   You can do the same sort of things with melodic parts.  Have a listen to
   Bach's unaccomanied cello suites if you want to learn how to create the
   illusion of multiple voices with single notes.

2- Sample something playing a chord. Now you've got a sample that can play
   any number of notes on one channel. I guess you could use a sample
   editor to mix a sound with the same thing a 3rd higher to get the same
   effect. Those parallel chords aren't so good for classical music, but
   they work fine in lots of other areas. You could also make some
   inversions of other chords for better voice-leading.

3- Buy a MIDI keyboard, and spare yourself the effort! :-)

dgold@basso.actrix.gen.nz (Dale Gold)

gdunlap@ecst.csuchico.edu (RANXEROX) (02/13/91)

In article <87721@unix.cis.pitt.edu> mager@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Rainer V Mager) writes:

>2:  Is there any music program out there that allows more than 4 voices
>simultaneously (without hardware uphgrade)?  I was thinking since it is
>possible to mix digitized sounds (like DMCS instruments) wouldn't it be
>possible to mix them on the fly to play more than one instrument per
>channel?  Or would there be too many time and memory constraints?  Just
>a thought.
>
>Rainer
>
>mager@unix.cis.pitt.edu

      If there IS one, I'd like to know about it myself;  however, I
don't think there is one for the Amiga.  I DO believe it's possible,
because a friend of mine has a music program for his Mac called Studio
Session, which somehow provides SIX voices (but the volume is reduced).
Since the Mac has FOUR hardware voices, the programmers of Studio Session
must be performing some clever software trick.  I don't know the inner
details of the Mac's sound hardware, but I feel that if the Mac can do it,
so can the Amiga (witness A-Max II).

| .  _________  .      _____  .                                             |
|.. /  ______/\  . .  /  _  \   |Greg Dunlap, CSUChico                   ///|
|  /  /\_____\/ .    /  /\\  \ .|Email: gdunlap@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu/// |
| /  / /. .____  .  /  / /.\  \ |Disclaimer: Who the hell cares?    \\\///  |
|/  / /.  /  _/\   /  / /. /  /\|Obligatory Quote:                   \XX/   |
|\  \/____/ /\_/ ./  /____/  / /|    "Intuition, however illogical, is      |
|.\________/ /.. /__________/ /.| recognized as a command perogative."      |
| .\_______\/.  .\__________\/ .|  -- Kirk, "Obsession", stardate 3620.7    |
|___________________________________________________________________________|

maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent (Human1)) (02/14/91)

	Oktalyzer -  8 Voice simulator for 4 hardware-voiced amiga.

	StarTreker - Another European Oktalyzer-like program that uses the
			same programming trick.   Songs non-compatible with
			oktalyzer.

	Both programs are not available for NTSC display Amigas.  Because
of the scanline timeing difference between NTSC and PAL display, running
either one of these programs on NTSC equipped amiga will crash the computer.

	Hopefully, some genius hacker would perform a simple hack and fix this
pro-longed problem with these program.

	p.s.	StarTreker is a SoundTracker/NoiseTracker like program.  The
		Newest version of SoundTracker also support the same kind of
		8 Voices simulation as the StarTracker.

--
[------Billy-----Maxc1553@UCSELX.SDSU.EDU------Human1-----]
[_______"""""_____""""""""""""""""""""""""______""""""____]

kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb13.002229.2364@ecst.csuchico.edu> gdunlap@ecst.csuchico.edu (RANXEROX) writes:
>In article <87721@unix.cis.pitt.edu> mager@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Rainer V Mager) writes:
>>
>>2:  Is there any music program out there that allows more than 4 voices
>>simultaneously (without hardware uphgrade)?  I was thinking since it is
>>possible to mix digitized sounds (like DMCS instruments) wouldn't it be
>>possible to mix them on the fly to play more than one instrument per
>>channel?  Or would there be too many time and memory constraints?  Just
>>a thought.
>>
>>Rainer
>>
>>mager@unix.cis.pitt.edu
>

>don't think there is one for the Amiga.  I DO believe it's possible,
>because a friend of mine has a music program for his Mac called Studio
>Session, which somehow provides SIX voices (but the volume is reduced).
>Since the Mac has FOUR hardware voices, the programmers of Studio Session
>must be performing some clever software trick.  I don't know the inner
>details of the Mac's sound hardware, but I feel that if the Mac can do it,
>so can the Amiga (witness A-Max II).

Actually, I wrote a program a while back that does something like this.  Note
that it eats memory like mad, takes a long time to run, and is basically not
a fun program to deal with.  I did do ONE song that uses 12 voices
simultaneously, though, using it.  Took about 5 hours to "compile" the song.
I keep meaning to go back to the program and update it, but somehow never
get around to it.

			-- Kevin --

Kevin Klop		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!kevin
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

	``Be excellent to each other.''
		- Bill and Ted's most excellent adventure

Disclaimer: _I_ don't know what I said, much less my employer.

s117986@lehtori.tut.fi (Salmij{rvi Janne) (02/14/91)

From article <1991Feb13.002229.2364@ecst.csuchico.edu>, by gdunlap@ecst.csuchico.edu (RANXEROX):
> In article <87721@unix.cis.pitt.edu> mager@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Rainer V Mager) writes:
>>
>>2:  Is there any music program out there that allows more than 4 voices
>>simultaneously (without hardware uphgrade)?  I was thinking since it is
>
>       If there IS one, I'd like to know about it myself;  however, I
> don't think there is one for the Amiga.  I DO believe it's possible,
 Yes it sure is... BUT it takes almost all of the CPUtime :-(
Oh.. almost forgot :-) the program is called Oktalyzer and there is also
Startrekkers. All those can play 8 sounds simultaneously....
IMHO Oktalyzer is better... (Hope exolon is not disappointed now)...
BUT BUT.. there has been some arguing whether they are PD or SW or something
more expensive, so... (I'd rather call them PD say whatever you like)

So that's it...

P.S. at least oktalyzer can be found (not sure) in some ftpsites (can't
     remember where)

Hope this helps ;-)

  * Janne Salmij{rvi * s117986@cc.tut.fi *

dtiberio@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb13.002229.2364@ecst.csuchico.edu> gdunlap@ecst.csuchico.edu (RANXEROX) writes:
>In article <87721@unix.cis.pitt.edu> mager@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Rainer V Mager) writes:
>>
>>2:  Is there any music program out there that allows more than 4 voices
>>simultaneously (without hardware uphgrade)?  I was thinking since it is
>>possible to mix digitized sounds (like DMCS instruments) wouldn't it be
>>possible to mix them on the fly to play more than one instrument per
>>channel?  Or would there be too many time and memory constraints?  Just
>>a thought.
>>
>>Rainer
>>
>>mager@unix.cis.pitt.edu
>
>      If there IS one, I'd like to know about it myself;  however, I
>don't think there is one for the Amiga.  I DO believe it's possible,
>because a friend of mine has a music program for his Mac called Studio
>Session, which somehow provides SIX voices (but the volume is reduced).
>Since the Mac has FOUR hardware voices, the programmers of Studio Session
>must be performing some clever software trick.  I don't know the inner
>details of the Mac's sound hardware, but I feel that if the Mac can do it,
>so can the Amiga (witness A-Max II).

  All it takes is clever programming. I once thought of doing an Amiga 8 voice
music program, but the total volume would be reduced to about 75%. Imagine
it this way. When two musical notes are played in harmony, it appears as
though a third not is produced. Of course the sound quality will not be
identical to a real 8 voice hardware piece, it can be done by averaging the
pitches or by using harmony combinations.

  One way to 'simulate' the harmony is to add vibrato (a slight vibration
in the sound, as if it is out of tune).

DavidTiberio SUNYStonyBrook2-3605 AMIGA TotoProductions DDDMEN
- Trombone player extraordinaire -