[comp.sys.amiga.audio] MIDI help wanted, here ya go

djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) (02/27/91)

In article <obmbsLi00WAJILG3Zi@andrew.cmu.edu> js9b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon C. Slenk) writes:
>Howdy. I am interested in getting a good MIDI setup for my Amiga system,
				     ---------------

how much ya wanna spend?

>but don't really know much about the goods and bads of the available
>systems.
>I suppose what I would like is a setup that hooks a MIDI keyboard to the
>Amiga, and software to handle all the MIDI interfacing / timing etc. I
>don't really need a score playing / creating program, but it probably
>would be nice to get one.

If you don't need a score playing/creating program, then what do you need
MIDI for? Industrial light control? Perhaps you meant a "standard music
notation" editor?

>So, if you have had experience with this stuff and would be willing to
>share your news, views and opinions on the matter I would appreciate it.
>
>-Jon / js9b+@andrew.cmu.edu
>
>PS: I don't want to spend more than (absolute tops) $500 and would like to
>spend around $100.

... did you say you wanted a GOOD MIDI system? For a hundred bucks? ?? ???

<pretty minimum setup> :
ECE MIDI interface	- $70
Deluxe Music, Music-X, Music-X Jr or Tiger Cub	- $70 to $150
Casio CZ-101 keyboard	- $150 to $200

<better setup>

Swap the Casio for a DX-7 (or better) < $1000

<best setup>
Add a Proteus-1 sound module	- $800
Add a Roland Octapad 		- $750
Add a JL Cooper Sync Box	- $100
Add a full-size Roland digital piano - $1500+
Add a sampler (hard drive optional) - $1200+
Add a multitrack tape deck	- $350 -> $250,000

and go into business for yourself writing movie scores.
| Dallas J. Hodgson               |     "These days, you have to be pretty   |
| Metaphor Computer Systems       |      technical before you can even       |
| Mountain View, Ca.              |      aspire to crudeness."               |
| USENET : djh@metaphor.com       |            - William Gibson              |
| "The views I express are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer" |