[comp.sys.amiga.audio] Is there a ST/NT module player that WORKS??

sparks@disk.uucp (John Sparks) (02/26/91)

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) writes:

>Intuitracker: Nice user interface, with spectrum analyzer. Crashes with
>	an odd address GURU when you use the serial port while it is
>	playing, or while you read news in AmigaUUCP. Small chip memory
>	leak.

I am on a BBS typing this (which means I am using my serial port) and playing
music in the background with Intuitracker. It's been running for around
half an hour now, and no crash yet.

[3000 - 2 megs mem (1M chip, 1M fast). Running WB 2.0]

Maybe you are just running out of memory?

--
John Sparks        |"Help Fight Continental Drift!"| (502)957-4200 2400 BPS
D.I.S.K. Management| Email: sparks@disk.UUCP       | 6 lines, public access unix

sparks@disk.uucp (John Sparks) writes:

>ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) writes:

>>Intuitracker: Nice user interface, with spectrum analyzer. Crashes with
>>	an odd address GURU when you use the serial port while it is
>>	playing, or while you read news in AmigaUUCP. Small chip memory
>>	leak.

>I am on a BBS typing this (which means I am using my serial port) and playing
>music in the background with Intuitracker. It's been running for around
>half an hour now, and no crash yet.

That will teach me to shoot off my mouth. not 5 minutes after posting the
above message, my machine crashed :-)

Intuitracker does seem to have some random type bug. It worked for half an
hour while I was using the serial port, then bam! I didnt even get a guru
message, it just rebooted the machine for me. nice.

--
John Sparks        |"Help Fight Continental Drift!"| (502)957-4200 2400 BPS
D.I.S.K. Management| Email: sparks@disk.UUCP       | 6 lines, public access unix
                   |      uunet!coplex!disk!sparks |
    *Online Games*Usenet*Email*Chatting*Downloads*Supporting all computers*

chuckt@theborg.mlb.fl.us (Chuck Teschke) (02/26/91)

I was previously disappointed with intuitiontracker because it would guru
with jrcomm.  however i was playing around with it today and i was playing
a song with Itracker while using jrcomm with a 14.4hst and downloading plus
multitasking some other programs all at the same time and it never had a
problem.

as for XTplay i cant figure it out, sometimes it will fragment memory and guru
and then sometimes it wont. for instance i was making some recordings onto
tape yesterday and i was getting the songs from floppy so i was copying the
floppy's to RAD: and then loading the songs from rad: then while the last song
was playing i would copy the next disk to rad: i never stopped. i did this
with 4 disks of modules and never had a problem.... go figure???

Chuck Teschke
                chuckt@theborg.mlb.fl.us

doubt@swordfish.rice.edu (Douglas Benjamin Triggs) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb25.195523.5040@disk.uucp>, sparks@disk.uucp (John Sparks) writes:
|> ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) writes:
|>
|> >Intuitracker: Nice user interface, with spectrum analyzer. Crashes with
|> >	an odd address GURU when you use the serial port while it is
|> >	playing, or while you read news in AmigaUUCP. Small chip memory
|> >	leak.
|>
|> I am on a BBS typing this (which means I am using my serial port) and
|> playing music in the background with Intuitracker. It's been running for
|> around half an hour now, and no crash yet.
|>
|> [3000 - 2 megs mem (1M chip, 1M fast). Running WB 2.0]
|>
|> Maybe you are just running out of memory?

And I reply:

[3000 - 10 megs mem (2M chip, 8M fast).  Running WB 2.0]

--equals--

Guaranteed guru, every time JRComm starts scrolling the screen.  Of course,
there is only one other situation in which it will lock up, and it worked fine
back when I ran a BBS at the same time.

|> John Sparks        |"Help Fight Continental Drift!"| (502)957-4200 2400 BPS
|> D.I.S.K. Management| Email: sparks@disk.UUCP       | 6 lines, public access unix
|>                    |      uunet!coplex!disk!sparks |
|>     *Online Games*Usenet*Email*Chatting*Downloads*Supporting all computers*

doubt

| "If I make it to breakfast, it probably means I haven't gone to sleep yet." |
+------------------------+--------------------------+-------------------------+
|   // Douglas Triggs    |   COMPUTER IS HUNGRY.    |   doubt@owlnet.rice.edu |
| \X/  GM # 8400000E     |       PLEASE FEED.       |         Rice University |
+------------------------+--------------------------+-------------------------+

s117986@lehtori.tut.fi (Salmij{rvi Janne) (02/26/91)

From article <ben.5066@epmooch.UUCP>, by ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander):
> Well, I tried another ST/NT module player. I've decided to try all of the
> players I come across, and post a summary to the net. I'm quite frustrated
> by being unable to find a *working* multi-tasking and OS friendly module
> player.
>
> Intuitracker: Nice user interface, with spectrum analyzer. Crashes with
> 	an odd address GURU when you use the serial port while it is
> 	playing, or while you read news in AmigaUUCP. Small chip memory
> 	leak.
>
> XTMplayer 3.0: Not as nice a user interface as Intuitracker, but doesn't
> 	crash during serial I/O. No memory leak, but somehow fragements
> 	chip memory severely. After you run it a few times, it chops
> 	chip memory so badly, avail says the largest chunk is 16 bytes.
> 	If you play a song while memory is fragemented, the sound is
> 	also fragmented, and you will eventually get a memory freed
> 	twice GURU.

Hmmm... I think Noiseplayer V3.00 is not widely spread then...
but in fact I don't even know if it's pure PD or SW...
besides what is this XTMplayer 3.0 ?
but anyway I use NP3.0 very often and it works just fine with NT/ST modules
although it can't play modules with only 15 instrs, but you can fix it by
converting those old modules to 31 format...
Only think I've noticed it to come wrong is that it plays Future Composer
modules wrong sometimes..
(oh and my set... A500, KS1.2, halfmeg Chip and halfmeg expansion)

> I normally only reboot once a week. Both of these programs crash
> several times inside an hour. Neither of these programs is acceptable to
> me as a player for that reason.
>
> Is there a working ST/NT player? Anyone who thinks they have one, please
> mail it to me, or tell me where I can ftp it from. I'll give it a try
> and summarize.

I got it from my friend so I don't know if it's anywhere in to ftp
but I could mail it to you when I next come here (school)...

  * Janne Salmij{rvi * s117986@cc.tut.fi *

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (02/26/91)

>In article <1991Feb25.195523.5040@disk.uucp> sparks@disk.uucp (John Sparks) writes:
>ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) writes:
>

>>Intuitracker: Nice user interface, with spectrum analyzer. Crashes with
>>	an odd address GURU when you use the serial port while it is
>>	playing, or while you read news in AmigaUUCP. Small chip memory
>>	leak.
>
>I am on a BBS typing this (which means I am using my serial port) and playing
>music in the background with Intuitracker. It's been running for around
>half an hour now, and no crash yet.
>
>[3000 - 2 megs mem (1M chip, 1M fast). Running WB 2.0]
>
>Maybe you are just running out of memory?

I'm running a 1000, 2.5 megs of memory (512K chip, 2M fast), WB 1.3.  I
run with Xoper going most of the time, and I am running 300K chip, 1.5M
fast ram memory free with UUCP, Xoper, and Intuitracker running. The
problem apparently is that Intuitracker uses CIA timer A, which was
inadvertently undocumented by CBM as being used by the serial port.
Most of the time it *will* work, but occasionally, BOOM! Intuitracker
and UUCP will disagree. It has to do with how fast the serial port
interrupts get serviced by the CPU. Your Amiga 3000 is probably fast
enough at 2400 baud. You might try a 9600 baud Zmodem transfer while
running Intuitracker, and I can very nearly guarantee you'll GURU.

--
ben@epmooch.UUCP            ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
{chinet,uokmax}!servalan!epmooch!ben  (Ben Mesander)   War in gulf:

s117986@lehtori.tut.fi (Salmij{rvi Janne) (02/27/91)

From article <t22918.667579696@ursa>, by t22918@ursa.calvin.edu (Matt Ranney):
> s117986@lehtori.tut.fi (Salmij{rvi Janne) writes:
>
>>Hmmm... I think Noiseplayer V3.00 is not widely spread then...
>>but in fact I don't even know if it's pure PD or SW...
>>besides what is this XTMplayer 3.0 ?
>>but anyway I use NP3.0 very often and it works just fine with NT/ST modules
>>although it can't play modules with only 15 instrs, but you can fix it by
>>converting those old modules to 31 format...
>>Only think I've noticed it to come wrong is that it plays Future Composer
>>modules wrong sometimes..
>>(oh and my set... A500, KS1.2, halfmeg Chip and halfmeg expansion)
>
> I've had NoisePlayer for quite a while, but it still suffers from the
> problem of playing the modules at the wrong speeds.  Listen to an NT
> mod in MED, and then with NoisePlayer.  You'll hear a definate
> difference in speed, and sometimes this is crucial.
Oh my... I suggest you to play NT modules with Noisetracker which is
the one they are supposed to play... besides are you absolutely sure
that MED plays everything you load into it (NTmodules) correctly ?
Correct tempo is crucial, that's right :)

> Oh, if only we had a real player.......
Then why don't you make one yourself to suit your purposes... ;)
> --
> Matt Ranney                mranney@wybbs.mi.org
> t22918@ursa.calvin.edu     mranney@mole.ai.mit.edu (or any other FSF machine)

chuckt@theborg.mlb.fl.us (Chuck Teschke) (03/02/91)

I am running a 500 with 5 megs of ram and 1 of that is chip. i was playing a
song with untiution tracker and getting 1600+ cps transfers on my dloads at
the same time.

Chuck Teschke
                chuckt@theborg.mlb.fl.us