[comp.sys.amiga.audio] Soundtracker on HD

jean@pogoS.hasler (02/25/91)

I have D.O.C SoundTracker 2.4 and I would like to install it on
my Harddisk!

1) I tried it several times with some "assign" for
   ST-00: and ST-01: but did not succeed.

2) I have found a program called "5" and seems to
   work better (dated 1940?).

3) I have also found a "play" program for "iff" files.
   Can I produce such files with SoundTRacker?
   Can I use "seka"? I could not find any documentation.

It is a pity because this program seems to be very nice:
however not very manageable with many diskettes!!
Where can I get the last version? On FISH disk? I have
no ftp access!

mattij@tuura.UUCP (Matti Joutkoski) (02/26/91)

jean@pogoS.hasler writes:

>I have D.O.C SoundTracker 2.4 and I would like to install it on
>my Harddisk!

Hello folk!

This in unbelieveble. We have ProTracker V1.1B, and some people are
talking about Noisetracker.... Grrrhhh.

Protracker is totalic public domain, but one thing what I have
wondering, I haven't seen any FTP, where it could be available.

Why so?

Matti Joutkoski, mattij@yj.data.nokia.fi, tel. + 358-0-5673866.

zap@lysator.liu.se (Zap Andersson) (02/26/91)

mattij@tuura.UUCP (Matti Joutkoski) writes:

>jean@pogoS.hasler writes:

>>I have D.O.C SoundTracker 2.4 and I would like to install it on
>>my Harddisk!

>Hello folk!

>This in unbelieveble. We have ProTracker V1.1B, and some people are
>talking about Noisetracker.... Grrrhhh.

Question: Why is anybody using Sound/NoiseTracker, when there is MED 3.00?
There is NOTHING i've ever seen in an ST/NT hack (and i've seen many) that
is worth having and isn't in MED 3.00!

It installs nicely on a HD, can read ST/NT songs/modules, does synth-sounds
(a built in synthesizer module) and has a sample editor, does note-timing
with long and short notes (if you like to) and is really simply much better
than any other, and still its operation is close enough to ST/NT so you can
switch from them to MED 3.00 without wondring a second how it works.

MED 3.00 can be obtained from a very good friend of mine (the Author).
Send a disk and SOME token of your appreciation (he has worked MANY days
and nights with MED) like a $ bill or something, plus a return mail envelope
(or sufficient funds for the return mail) to:

Teijo Kinnunen
Oksantie 19
SF-86300 OULAINEN
Finland

You may also say hello to him from me - Zap - if you like.

>--
>Matti Joutkoski, mattij@yj.data.nokia.fi, tel. + 358-0-5673866.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *          (This rent for space)
* My signature is smaller than  * Be warned! The letter 'Z' is Copyright 1991
* yours!  - zap@lysator.liu.se  * by Zap Inc. So are the colors Red, Green and
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Greenish-yellow (Blue was taken by IBM)

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (02/27/91)

In article <515@lysator.liu.se> zap@lysator.liu.se (Zap Andersson) writes:
>mattij@tuura.UUCP (Matti Joutkoski) writes:
>
>>jean@pogoS.hasler writes:
>
>>>I have D.O.C SoundTracker 2.4 and I would like to install it on
>>>my Harddisk!
>
>>Hello folk!
>
>>This in unbelieveble. We have ProTracker V1.1B, and some people are
>>talking about Noisetracker.... Grrrhhh.
>
>Question: Why is anybody using Sound/NoiseTracker, when there is MED 3.00?
>There is NOTHING i've ever seen in an ST/NT hack (and i've seen many) that
>is worth having and isn't in MED 3.00!

How about a GOOD player that I can include in a program without resorting to
a stand-alone task? Is there one, and does it use less than 15 rasterlines?

[Advantages of MED3.00 deleted]

>You may also say hello to him from me - Zap - if you like.

Aaargh, another Zap. Lets see, that makes 43 ( including zzaps )

/Jorgen
email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.
"Credo, quia absurdum est."    Credo in absurdum est?

chuckt@theborg.mlb.fl.us (Chuck Teschke) (02/27/91)

I use Noisetracker V1.3a from a hacker group. it is the first version i have
seen that works with a harddrive. i like it but i wish i could set up the
sample list with my harddrive because i have several megs of samples on my
harddrive and it would save a lot of room if i didnt have to save everything
as modules.

Chuck Teschke
                chuckt@theborg.mlb.fl.us

cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (02/28/91)

> Question: Why is anybody using Sound/NoiseTracker, when there is MED 3.00?
> There is NOTHING i've ever seen in an ST/NT hack (and i've seen many) that
> is worth having and isn't in MED 3.00!
>
> It installs nicely on a HD, can read ST/NT songs/modules, does synth-sounds
> (a built in synthesizer module) and has a sample editor, does note-timing
> with long and short notes (if you like to) and is really simply much better
> than any other, and still its operation is close enough to ST/NT so you can
> switch from them to MED 3.00 without wondring a second how it works.

I tried the very fisrt version of a ??tracker at some point. The performance
of the music is exceptional but I had no doc and it took me a while to get
it to even play one of it's own modules....

SO I have to chuckle at "without wondering" above. 8^)

SO howabout describing MED and how to use it. I'll assume the perfomance is
good. If I get a picture that gives me a handle on it's functionality and
use I will be glad to send Teijo more than a $.

Above and beyond its use for encapsulating "modules" and playing these
modules,iwhcih I will buy MED for,
are there "run-time player-only's", Includable drivers, etc
for use of "modules"in programs, etc.

> MED 3.00 can be obtained from a very good friend of mine (the Author).
> Send a disk and SOME token of your appreciation (he has worked MANY days
> and nights with MED) like a $ bill or something, plus a return mail envelope
> (or sufficient funds for the return mail) to:
>
> Teijo Kinnunen
> Oksantie 19
> SF-86300 OULAINEN
> Finland
>
> You may also say hello to him from me - Zap - if you like.
>

> >--
> >Matti Joutkoski, mattij@yj.data.nokia.fi, tel. + 358-0-5673866.
> --
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *          (This rent for space)
> * My signature is smaller than  * Be warned! The letter 'Z' is Copyright 1991
> * yours!  - zap@lysator.liu.se  * by Zap Inc. So are the colors Red, Green and
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Greenish-yellow (Blue was taken by IBM)

Didn't someone patent CRT color mechanism?

Thanks Clyde

C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) (02/28/91)

In Message-ID: <515@lysator.liu.se> zap@lysator.liu.se (Zap Andersson) said:
>Question: Why is anybody using Sound/NoiseTracker, when there is MED 3.00?

    Well, actually I am using MED 2.13... I have some questions about this
MED 3.00:

  1. Is MED 3.00 compatible with Workbench 2.0?
  2. Does MED 3.00 use CIA timer A?  (if so, then the answer to #1 is NO)
  3. I assume that MED songs from previous versions still work with 3.00?
  4. Finally, is there any chance of getting version 3.00 uploaded to an
     ftp site like ab20.larc.nasa.gov?
     (as a sub-question:  is MED 3.00 freely distributable like 1.xx, 2.xx?)

| Baird McIntosh | c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet |
|    "K I L L   T H E   R A T !"  -- seen on a sign at a pro-Gulf_War rally |
|                                                                           |

zap@lysator.liu.se (Zap Andersson) (02/28/91)

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) writes:

>In article <515@lysator.liu.se> zap@lysator.liu.se (Zap Andersson) writes:
>>mattij@tuura.UUCP (Matti Joutkoski) writes:

>>>Hello folk!
>>
>>>This in unbelieveble. We have ProTracker V1.1B, and some people are
>>>talking about Noisetracker.... Grrrhhh.
>>
>>Question: Why is anybody using Sound/NoiseTracker, when there is MED 3.00?
>>There is NOTHING i've ever seen in an ST/NT hack (and i've seen many) that
>>is worth having and isn't in MED 3.00!
>>

>How about a GOOD player that I can include in a program without resorting to
>a stand-alone task? Is there one, and does it use less than 15 rasterlines?

There is a GOOD player supplied wi}@h MED  dont know about the scanline
count however. You }ihave IFDEF's in the assembler source so you can re,ov{_e
things you dont want, like synthsounds, the programming language e.t.c.
It is included as both assembler source and as a libra~rry! Oh, you can
disable MIDI also, forgot to say....

>[Advantages of MED3.00 deleted]

>>You may also say hello to him from me - Zap - if you like.
>>

>Aaargh, another Zap. Lets see, that makes 43 ( including zzaps )

Yeah, but i

C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) writes:

>In Message-ID: <515@lysator.liu.se> zap@lysator.liu.se (Zap Andersson) said:
>>Question: Why is anybody using Sound/NoiseTracker, when there is MED 3.00?

>    Well, actually I am using MED 2.13... I have some questions about this
>MED 3.00:

>  1. Is MED 3.00 compatible with Workbench 2.0?

YES! Teijo has a 3000 machine with 2.0 himself, it is very much so.

>  2. Does MED 3.00 use CIA timer A?  (if so, then the answer to #1 is NO)

Nope. It's fully 2.0/A3000 compatible

>  3. I assume that MED songs from previous versions still work with 3.00?

Yes, of course they do!

>  4. Finally, is there any chance of getting version 3.00 uploaded to an
>     ftp site like ab20.larc.nasa.gov?
>     (as a sub-question:  is MED 3.00 freely distributable like 1.xx, 2.xx?)

Yes, it is freely distributable. I *could* ftp it if it wern't for 2 things:
1) I'm net-connected via a long-distance phone and not in the mood to pay
   outrages $'s to send a med to the net from here. I have friends that
   can do it instead.
2) I have found a couple of bugs in 3.00 that I've told Teijo about and that
   I think should be fixed before such a MAJOR release. One is that the
   MIDI sync (incoming) gurus in this version. It did not in the 3.00beta I
   got from Teijo some months back, so he must have stumbled somewhere ;-)
   He asked me to check this for him, since he hasn't got any MIDI-syncing
   equippment.

And Yes, MED3.00 is freely distributable, but both I and poor Teijo working
his *ss of to give you the best muzak program around, think that he (Teijo)
deserves a little something (like a couple of diskettes, a $ bill, sweets,
girls, whatever ;-) to keep him working on it! After all, it's just his hobby.

>| Baird McIntosh | c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet |
>|    "K I L L   T H E   R A T !"  -- seen on a sign at a pro-Gulf_War rally |
>|                                                                           |

Ok. (Swat) rat's dead. ;-)

--

jean@pogoS.hasler (03/01/91)

In article <218>mattij@tuura.UUCP (Matti Joutkoski) writes:

>MED 3.00 can be obtained from a very good friend of mine (the Author).
>Send a disk and SOME token of your appreciation (he has worked MANY days
>and nights with MED) like a $ bill or something, plus a return mail envelope
>(or sufficient funds for the return mail) to:

Thanks (and to all the others). I will do it.
I will also ask you more details for disk installation and module
player (IFF files?).

zap@lysator.liu.se (Zap Andersson) (03/02/91)

chuckt@theborg.mlb.fl.us (Chuck Teschke) writes:

>I use Noisetracker V1.3a from a hacker group. it is the first version i have
>seen that works with a harddrive. i like it but i wish i could set up the
>sample list with my harddrive because i have several megs of samples on my
>harddrive and it would save a lot of room if i didnt have to save everything
>as modules.

>Chuck Teschke
>                chuckt@theborg.mlb.fl.us

Good advice: Stop using noistracker and use MED. The user friendly sample
list editor is really great. It handles HD's, AmigaDOS 2.0 and A300 machines,
it MULTITASKS CORRECTLY (ever heard an NT/ST that does this CORRECTLY?) and
it is overall simply so much better. THe latest version is MED3.00 and you
shouldn't settle for less.
--
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *          (This rent for space)
* My signature is smaller than  * Be warned! The letter 'Z' is Copyright 1991
* yours!  - zap@lysator.liu.se  * by Zap Inc. So are the colors Red, Green and
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Greenish-yellow (Blue was taken by IBM)

chuckt@theborg.mlb.fl.us (Chuck Teschke) (03/03/91)

Well now i am using Protracker which lets me set up a presetlist for my
harddrive. I have MED 2.13 which is really nice and multi-tasks very well.
But i just dont like the interface.... I have grown attached to the
protracker inteface and editing features. If i ever need to play a MIDI track
at the same time as an amiga tune then i would use MED, but i just plain old
dont like the interface.  (I'm trying to find one program and stick with it)

Though i wouldnt mind getting MED 3.0   I totally missed 2.0 ????
thanx

|Chuck Teschke |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| USENET:chuckt@theborg.mlb.fl.us |"If i have 5 megs of RAM, then why does
| FIDONET: 374/1                  |  this program keep accessing the disk?!?"
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  "My employer could care less about my opinions..."

mattij@tuura.UUCP (Matti Joutkoski) (03/04/91)

zap@lysator.liu.se (Zap Andersson) writes:

>Good advice: Stop using noistracker and use MED. The user friendly sample
>list editor is really great. It handles HD's, AmigaDOS 2.0 and A300 machines,
>it MULTITASKS CORRECTLY (ever heard an NT/ST that does this CORRECTLY?) and
>it is overall simply so much better. THe latest version is MED3.00 and you
>shouldn't settle for less.
>--

Well, if it really is so good...

How about the play-routine? How much it takes the time?

Matti Joutkoski, mattij@yj.data.nokia.fi, tel. + 358-0-5673866.