[comp.sys.amiga.audio] Looking for info on TFMX Editor/songs

peter@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Peter Wemm) (03/04/91)

davidc@contact.uucp (David Carlton) writes:
>Recently, I've noticed a few games have used a tracker editor called
>T.F.M.X. and would like to know it's availability, and if possible,
>the format of it's files. The one thing i've noticed about this
>particular editor is that it has two separate files:
>MDAT.Songname
>SMPL.Songname

Actually it is three... add INFO.Songname as well (only used by the editor..)

>and the MDAT file has a header 'TFMX-Song'.
>Both Turrican & Turrican II use this editor for a very nice soundtrack
>seemingly using both samples and wave generation.

All the Rainbow Arts games that I have seen use it.

>If anyone has any info on this program, up to and including it's
>availability, I'd be very happy if you could drop me a note at the
>address below...

>Thanks in advance!				Let's keep 'tracking.
>--
>---
>Dave Carlton (davidc@ziebmef.mef.org!white.toronto.edu)
>"There's more than one way to skin a cat", Lydia thought, as she
>nailed the little paws to the dissection board... Richard Deming

Firstly, It has absolutely _NO_RELATION_ to soundtracker.  It has been designed
with game music in mind.  whereas soundtracker uses samples and patterns,
TFMX uses samples/waveforms, macros, patterns, and tracks.  The macros
are what make the instruments.  they can play one-shot waveforms like ST, or
can algorithmically generate an instrument from a waveform.  A pattern is
a series of notes (macros). Tracks play patterns with effects.

It is so flexible that every sound that you hear in Turrican comes from
TFMX: the title, the "please wait, loading" music, and even the game explosions
and effects and music.   They have a macro to do an explosion (say..) and
when the game needs to make the sound, it just calls the play-routine which
plays the macro with the rest of the music.  When you hear the master volume
sliding (fade from load music to game etc) it is TFMX again.

The bad news:  The editor that I saw (v1.5) was a nightmare!!! It played
magnificent songs (and I mean that!) but it was almost impossible to
do anything more than hacking around in the song.  It crashed often.
You had better know your HEX arithmatic......

I think the version that I saw was a pre-release or demo of the commercial
version.  It looks like it will be (or is being) sold in Germany.

--
Peter Wemm
peter@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (if fails, try peter@cutmcvax.oz.au)

davidc@contact.uucp (David Carlton) (03/04/91)

MDAT.Songname
SMPL.Songname

holgerl@amiux.UUCP (Holger Lubitz) (03/06/91)

>Recently, I've noticed a few games have used a tracker editor called
>T.F.M.X. and would like to know it's availability [...]

T.F.M.X. was written by  the  quite  well  known  (at  least  here  in
germany) soundcomposers Chris Huelsbeck  and  Peter  Thierolf.  It  is
distributed by Demonware in Offenburg, Germany, so if you can't get it
locally, you probably should write them to order the program.

T.F.M.X. II was announced on Amiga Expo '90 in  Cologne,  but  doesn't
seem to be finished yet (they planned MIDI-Support and  several  other
enhancements for it and said they would send me  a  reviewing  example
when it gets released - well, I am still waiting :-)

--
Holger Lubitz            | holgerl@amiux.uucp
Kl. Drakenburger Str. 24 | holgerl@amiux.han.de