[comp.sys.amiga.audio] ScreamTracker

wdao@girtab.usc.edu (Walter Dao) (03/09/91)

It seems that for the IBM machines there is a SoundTracker clone called
screamtracker. Now,is there a program that will allow the amiga to play
those files ? (there are quite a few sites that have a large library of
songs ...)

			Walt.

jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) (03/11/91)

wdao@girtab.usc.edu (Walter Dao) writes:

>It seems that for the IBM machines there is a SoundTracker clone called
>screamtracker. Now,is there a program that will allow the amiga to play
>those files ? (there are quite a few sites that have a large library of
>songs ...)

Hmmm...  Apparently you don't know that Soundtracker/Noisetracker
ORIGINATED on the Amiga.  There are LOADS of programs which you can use
to compose/edit/play ST/NT modules.

Editors:

Sountracker
Noisetracker
Compoisitive
Pro-Tracker
StarTrekker
Med

Players:
Medplayer
Intuitracker
ModuleMaster
Trackplay (I'm still working on it!!)

Some of these can be obtained on ab20.larc.nasa.gov.

C'ya,
Jim
--
+--------------------------+      _
|INET:  jimb@faatcrl.uucp  |     | \
|UUCP:  ..!rutgers!faatcrl!|    _|  \______________________________________
|      jimb                |   - ______        ________________          \_`,
+------------------------- + -(_______            -=    -=        USAF       )
                                      `--------=============----------------`
                                                -   -
                                               -   -
                                    `   . .  -  -
                                     .*` .* ;`*,`.,
                                      `, ,`.*.*. *
 ______________________________________*  * ` ^ *____________________________
                IRAQ

gerry@dialogic.com (Gerry Lachac) (03/11/91)

In article <15653@chaph.usc.edu> wdao@girtab.usc.edu (Walter Dao) writes:

>It seems that for the IBM machines there is a SoundTracker clone called
>screamtracker. Now,is there a program that will allow the amiga to play
>those files ? (there are quite a few sites that have a large library of
>songs ...)

I thought that "ScreamTracker" let you play Amiga ST/NT et.al. modules
on an IBM with the Adlib card.

-

vac253v@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Richard Jones) (03/11/91)

wdao@girtab.usc.edu (Walter Dao) writes:

>It seems that for the IBM machines there is a SoundTracker clone called
>screamtracker. Now,is there a program that will allow the amiga to play
>those files ? (there are quite a few sites that have a large library of
>songs ...)

>			Walt

The screamtracker prog (which barely comes up to scratch even with a
soundblaster) uses plain soundtracker modules (not noisetracker though, I
think).

Richard

wdao@girtab.usc.edu (Walter Dao) (03/11/91)

Yes I do know that the whole soundtracker and noisetracker series came out
originally on the amiga (heck ! I have them, even the one that crashed on
ntsc systems (i.e: the very early ones) ...) .

but the thing is for the IBM computers, people saw the amiga programs and
decided to write an IBM tracker.
I am not talking about a PLAYER program that will play MOD files, but program
that do what the ST/NT do, compose/play/show spectrum analyser etc...
That program is called ScreamTracker. It uses its own notation. (not the
standard ST/NT hex-notation even though the file layout is relatively the
same .

i.e:
first few bytes = title
then inst. names.
then music datas (tracks)
then at the very end, the inst. samples.

it is easy to track down all the title,inst. name,inst. samples/. But the
track datas are in an unknown format. (they show patterns but dont corespond
to the NT/ST ones).

					Walt

ags@scs.carleton.ca (Alexander George Morison Smith) (03/11/91)

In article <15653@chaph.usc.edu> wdao@girtab.usc.edu (Walter Dao) writes:
>It seems that for the IBM machines there is a SoundTracker clone called
>screamtracker. Now,is there a program that will allow the amiga to play
>those files ? (there are quite a few sites that have a large library of
>songs ...)

Speaking of SoundTracker clones, I recently came across a NoiseTracker
1.2 player program for the Atari ST.  It lets you play sounds using
various hardware devices, including the ST's crummy sound chip.  Sounds
pretty good (amazing since the ST isn't designed to play sampled sound),
and it even looks like a SoundTracker player - simulated copper effects
(interrupt routines running on the CPU) to make a smoothly changing
background colour, the four bars showing volumes of each sample...

Of course, it isn't Stereo and it isn't multitasking :-)

- Alex