[comp.sys.amiga.audio] ST/NT/MED Samples

jrm@beta.maadfa.ma.oz.au (John R Marley) (03/15/91)

I've been fiddling around with MED 2.13 at home, and have downloaded a whole
heap of NoiseTracker modules with the intention of ripping out the smaples to
make a sample library for myself.

Now, many of the sample names start with things such as "ST-05:".  Does this
indicate that a sample starting with this has come off a disk with the name
ST-05?  If so, how many such disks are there?  How does one aquire them?  Is
there a list or index of the samples on each disk so I can selectively get
disks?  Am I barking up the wrong tree?  Do people just put ST-xx on the front
of sample names because it looks trendy?

Thanks in advance,
--
+---------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| John Marley.				| Phone : +61 6 2688882		      |
| Australian Defence Force Academy	+-------------------------------------+
| Northcott Drive, CANBERRA ACT		|	   .. and remember:	      |
| Australia 2600			|	  Dont' be a gimboid!	      |
+---------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+

al158305@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Gustavo Cordova Avila) (03/16/91)

jrm@beta.maadfa.ma.oz.au (John R Marley) writes:

>I've been fiddling around with MED 2.13 at home, and have downloaded a whole
>heap of NoiseTracker modules with the intention of ripping out the smaples to
>make a sample library for myself.

>Now, many of the sample names start with things such as "ST-05:".  Does this
>indicate that a sample starting with this has come off a disk with the name
>ST-05?  If so, how many such disks are there?  How does one aquire them?  Is
>there a list or index of the samples on each disk so I can selectively get
>disks?  Am I barking up the wrong tree?  Do people just put ST-xx on the front
>of sample names because it looks trendy?

>Thanks in advance,

   I think it is because that was the full name
of the sample file (yup, that was the name of the
disk). I was doing the same thing as you, but a disk
reorganization went bad :(  gotta start all over
again.

   So, does anybody have an index of the disks? Or,
if anybody has ST/NT, could you post the contents
(names) or what each disk contains? Say like, disk 01
has drums, 02 has... etc etc

thanx!!

Gustavo
--
| From Mexico!  Majoring in Electronics Systems Engineering, |
| ITESM presents to you: Gustavo Cordova Avila!!!            |
+-----------------------+

s117986@lehtori.tut.fi (Salmij{rvi Janne) (03/16/91)

From article <3077@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx>, by al158305@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Gustavo Cordova Avila):
> jrm@beta.maadfa.ma.oz.au (John R Marley) writes:
>

>>I've been fiddling around with MED 2.13 at home, and have downloaded a whole
>>heap of NoiseTracker modules with the intention of ripping out the smaples to
>>make a sample library for myself.
>
>>Now, many of the sample names start with things such as "ST-05:".  Does this
>>indicate that a sample starting with this has come off a disk with the name
>>ST-05?  If so, how many such disks are there?  How does one aquire them?  Is
>>there a list or index of the samples on each disk so I can selectively get
>>disks?  Am I barking up the wrong tree?  Do people just put ST-xx on the front
>>of sample names because it looks trendy?
>
>>Thanks in advance,
>
>    I think it is because that was the full name
> of the sample file (yup, that was the name of the
> disk). I was doing the same thing as you, but a disk
> reorganization went bad :(  gotta start all over
> again.
>
>    So, does anybody have an index of the disks? Or,
> if anybody has ST/NT, could you post the contents
> (names) or what each disk contains? Say like, disk 01
> has drums, 02 has... etc etc
>
> thanx!!
>
> Gustavo
> --
> | From Mexico!  Majoring in Electronics Systems Engineering, |
> | ITESM presents to you: Gustavo Cordova Avila!!!            |
> | And then I woke up :) +------------------------------------+
> +-----------------------+
There are NO standard ST-xx disks... (except maybe ST-01 but can't be sure
about it either). There are almost as many different ST-xx disks as there
are users of those disks. Therefore there is no index for these disks.
Now there can be upto 255 different sampledisks for PT (Protracker added that,
don't know about Noisetracker2.1). ST-01 <--> ST-FF in hex of course :)
And the number behind ST- indicates just the number of that disk. (ST-04 is
the disk name so ST/NT/PT knows where to load it, simple enough?).
If there are such a disks as 'bassdisk' or 'drumdisk' that is only thanks
to someone who was kind enough to organize them that way. On my 36 disks they
are completely mixed up. I just put new samples to a disk until it was full and
then took a new disk to fill up. Personally I think it's quite a waste of time
to organize disks so that there are certain kind of samples on one disk and so
on. That's why there is the PLST and of course you can name samples so that you
see similar samples in the same area.
	ST-01:Bassdrum01
	ST-01:Bassdrum02
		.
		.
		.
	ST-34:Bassdrum60
Like that.
Enuff said ?

--
					Janne Salmij{rvi
					s117986@cc.tut.fi

chuckt@theborg.mlb.fl.us (Chuck Teschke) (03/17/91)

The ST-xx that is before the sample name is the name of the disk that the
sample was loaded from. there is not a specific set fo sample disks people
just set them up the way they want to. It is for the presetlist function of
the soundtracker/noisetracker programs. it lets you load samples alot easier.
I have the subdirectories on my harddrive that hold my samples ASSIGN'ed with
ST-xx names so i can load them with the presetlist.

|Chuck Teschke |
| USENET:chuckt@theborg.mlb.fl.us |"If i have 5 megs of RAM, then why does
| FIDONET: 374/1                  |  this program keep accessing the disk?!?"
  "My employer could care less about my opinions..."