[comp.sys.amiga.audio] name of sampler wanted

cabp10@vaxa.strath.ac.uk (Dan Dare) (04/07/91)

I am looking for a peice of software that digitises strieght to a hard drive
does such a thing exist and also do you need more chip mem as well as fast mem
for bigger samples.--
                              / / The Light of the
Dan Dare                      \\  New Dawn Burns Bright
                               /  Even at night.
 AKA  Sean Stratton     | "I came here to chew        | Live life    |Amiga  ///
Cabp10@uk.ac.strath.vaxa| bubblegum and kick ass. and | Taste Death  |   \\\///
on JANET                | i'm all out of bubblegum."  |              |    \XX/
               All misspelling is my brains fault not mine

ags@scs.carleton.ca (Alexander George Morison Smith) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr7.010044.11266@vaxa.strath.ac.uk> cabp10@vaxa.strath.ac.uk (Dan Dare) writes:
>I am looking for a peice of software that digitises strieght to a hard drive
>does such a thing exist and also do you need more chip mem as well as fast mem
>for bigger samples.--

I've written such a piece of software.  The digitizing side doesn't use
any chip mem and only as much fast mem as you want for buffers (50K is
enough).  However, it suffers from sound quality problems due to
multitasking interruptions of the sampling code.  It works with AMAS and
other standard parallel port digitizers (not PerfectSound 3 hardware).

On the flip side, I've written a program to play back sounds from disk.
It uses a bit of chip mem (user controlable) but you can set it to be
very little - 20K is enough.  The amount of chip mem used is constant no
matter what the sample size is.  You can also play off floppy disks if
the sample uses under 10000 bytes per second.

Look for AGMSPlaySound and AGMSRecordSound on ab20.larc.nasa.gov and on
BIX.

- Alex