[comp.sys.amiga.audio] Dr. T's KCS package

axpmw@acad2.alaska.edu (04/14/91)

I just bought a package that includes  Dr. T's KCS v3.0, Copyist Apprentice
and a ECE MIDI interface.

The problem... I have an AMIGA 3000 ... I could get Copyist to run under 1.3
but not 2.0  but the KCS wouldn't run period.

I plan to hook up a synthesizer and drum machine to my Amiga.  Can anyone
comment on SONIX and DMCS and their experience running it with an A3000?
(My synthesizer is a Casio CZ5000 and a Korg drum mach).

The dealer will take back what I have now, but I still wanta get something
for my musical whims.

I have plenty of memory so I'm not worried about that, but I'm very new to
MIDI stuff.

The AmigaWorld Music video shows them using SONIX and DMCS and on other
shots they're using 2.0(a3000).  This may mislead me to think they're
running the software under 2.0 when they really are using 1.3 ...
So I thought I'd ask before I try to buy something else and drive my
dealer wacko... He's real nice about these types of things at least.

Thanks for any information... POST or write me email.

Pam Woods   Internet: Axpmw@acad2a.alaska.edu
            Bitnet:   Axpmw@alaska

<Look before you Leap - Sam Beckett>

ewilts@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca (Ed Wilts) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr14.000808.1@acad2.alaska.edu>, axpmw@acad2.alaska.edu writes:
> I just bought a package that includes  Dr. T's KCS v3.0, Copyist Apprentice
> and a ECE MIDI interface.
>
> The problem... I have an AMIGA 3000 ... I could get Copyist to run under 1.3
> but not 2.0  but the KCS wouldn't run period.

To get KCS to run, turn off the Instruction cache with the following command:
	CPU NoInstCache
This works for me (I have version 3.02).  Since you just bought your package,
you can also call Dr.T and have them send you a free upgrade to version 3.05.
This upgrade claims full 2.0 and A3000 compatibility.  I believe that you will
have to send in your master disk (you should have 2 copies anyway).  If you
only have 1 master disk, write them a letter with your registration form and
request your free second disk.  In the past, the second disk was always the
current version.

Alternatively, you can upgrade to version 3.5, which includes new features
(lots of them!).  If your existing package is Level II, the upgrade costs $60;
if it's just normal KCS, it costs $100 (and gives you Level II features as
well).

> I plan to hook up a synthesizer and drum machine to my Amiga.  Can anyone
> comment on SONIX and DMCS and their experience running it with an A3000?
> (My synthesizer is a Casio CZ5000 and a Korg drum mach).

DMCS runs as well on the A3000 under 2.0 as it does on any other Amiga under
1.3.2.  This means that it will occasionally crash your machine when you exit
the program, and always crash if you try to activate MIDI TWICE (once works
fine).  I believe that you might have to patch Sonix under some versions of 2.0
because of changes to the CIA timers.  A patch is on AB20.  I haven't tested
Sonix, but the patch did help the stand-alone player (PLAY) to work.  Somebody
else here posted a message a week or two ago that said that the latest 2.0
(which isn't shipping yet) fixed Sonix so that it ran fine.

> The dealer will take back what I have now, but I still wanta get something
> for my musical whims.

No need to take the package back, but it might be easier for the DEALER to send
the 3.0 KCS back to the distributor and get the 3.05 release.

> I have plenty of memory so I'm not worried about that, but I'm very new to
> MIDI stuff.

That's actually part of the problem with KCS.  It ran fine on my 3000 when I
had only 2 MB; when I upgraded to 4 MB, it broke.  Turning the instruction
cache off worked for me.  You'll find that without turning the cache off, you
won't even go to the key disk for validationn.

--
        .../Ed     Preferrred:  Ed.Wilts@BSC.Galaxy.BCSystems.Gov.BC.CA
Ed Wilts            Alternate:  EdWilts@BCSC02.BITNET    (604) 389-3430

erickson@alee.UUCP (Lee C. Erickson) (04/15/91)

In article  <1991Apr14.000808.1@acad2.alaska.edu>, axpmw@acad2.alaska.edu writes:
>I just bought a package that includes  Dr. T's KCS v3.0, Copyist Apprentice
>and a ECE MIDI interface.
>
>The problem... I have an AMIGA 3000 ... I could get Copyist to run under 1.3
>but not 2.0  but the KCS wouldn't run period.

I can run KCS 3.02 on my 68030 equipped 2000 using 2.0, BUT I have to use
the CPU program to disable all caching before starting it.  Once it is past
the copy protection, I can turn caching back on!

I'm still waiting for my upgrade to the next version to arrive.  It isn't
supposed to be copy protected any more!!! :-)

-----

Lee Erickson                uucp: erickson@alee.UUCP
				  ..!gvlv2!alee!erickson
				  ..!cbmvax!alee!erickson
			internet: erickson%alee@gvl.unisys.com
			  usmail: 720 Raynham Rd., Collegeville PA 19426