[comp.sys.amiga.audio] Using more than one MIDI track

ariel@graphics.rent.com (Ariel Saulog) (04/24/91)

I've been fooling around with a simple MIDI serial connector and a
Roland JUNO Keyboard it all seems to work nicely, but I can't get my
keyboard to do more than one MIDI track at a time!  I can change any of the
program settings but it seems that I can still only get one MIDI track to
come out of my Amiga!  Hmmm Is it my software, or my hardware?  I've been
using PD stuff and I've borrowed Music-X, but I still can't seem to get the
computer to use more than one MIDI channel at a time, only when I'm inputing
a sequence I can get more than one MIDI channel, but not if I am sending a
sequence over to the keyboard.  Help!
                                                -Ariel

rivero@dev8a.mdcbbs.com (04/25/91)

In article <aHow11w164w@graphics.rent.com>, ariel@graphics.rent.com (Ariel Saulog) writes:
> I've been fooling around with a simple MIDI serial connector and a
> Roland JUNO Keyboard it all seems to work nicely, but I can't get my
> keyboard to do more than one MIDI track at a time!  I can change any of the
> program settings but it seems that I can still only get one MIDI track to
> come out of my Amiga!  Hmmm Is it my software, or my hardware?  I've been
> using PD stuff and I've borrowed Music-X, but I still can't seem to get the
> computer to use more than one MIDI channel at a time, only when I'm inputing
> a sequence I can get more than one MIDI channel, but not if I am sending a
> sequence over to the keyboard.  Help!
>                                                 -Ariel

Two things to check.

First, check the Roland to make sure that the MIDI in is set to recieve
multiple channels, and that the synth itself is in a multi-timbral mode
(You'll need to check the manual on how to do that).

As for Music-X, you need to assign each midi track to a different channel
and set the voice assignment inside the track itself. That should do it.

Mike

erlingh@idt.unit.no (Erling Henanger) (04/26/91)

> Roland JUNO Keyboard it all seems to work nicely, but I can't get my
> keyboard to do more than one MIDI track at a time!  I can change any of the
> program settings but it seems that I can still only get one MIDI track to

Well, of the Roland JUNO synths I know, none of them are capable of playing more than
one sound at the time. (Juno 60, Juno 106, any more ?)
What you can do, is to have several tracks using the same midi-channel, and then use one
of them for base, one for chords. etc, but you will only have the same sound on all tracks.
You'll have to get hold of a multi timbral synth if you wanna do more than one sound of the time,
and then you can have different sounds on different midi-channels. Roland's MT-32 is a cheap way
to go for starters, and there are lotsa games written that uses this synth on Ataris and IBM's.
(Dunno about the Amiga, but if the SIERRA series of games are ported to it, I guess they've
implemented the midi-part there as well.)
If your Roland synth _is_ multi-timbral, please take no notice of me :-)
--
       _______    _____  	 o	     ____       Erling Henanger
      /___       /____/ /       /   /|  /   /           Norwegian Institute