[comp.sys.amiga.audio] Wait a sec: PC-View's not THAT bad!

djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) (05/07/91)

In article <L3HD21w164w@bluemoon.uucp> moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp (David Culberson) writes:

>> I've even seen a NoiseTracker player for the IBM PC's internal speaker.  It
>> certainly couldn't be any worse than that!
>        Could you tell me where to get this? I have both a 386sx and an
>Amiga 2000 <The Amiga is FAR superior IMHO>, and I find it , uh how should
>I put this.... Entertaining... to say the least, to hear or see an IBM
>attempting to emulate an Amiga. Ever use PC-View? sad sad sad.... Have you
				 ---------------------------------

Hold on a minute; I wrote PC-View a long time ago, when EGA was the best
thing commonly available on a PC. Most Amiga images look fine under VGA,
although I never released an enhanced version of PC-View that supports
this. DeluxePaintII on the PC does this job already; the DPaint wasn't
even available on the PC when I wrote PC-View, which is why I wrote it in
the first place!

Of course, you'll need an extended VGA card to display anything taller than
350 lines, and HAM images are out of the question...
| Dallas J. Hodgson               |     "These days, you have to be pretty   |
| Metaphor Computer Systems       |      technical before you can even       |
| Mountain View, Ca.              |      aspire to crudeness."               |
| USENET : djh@metaphor.com       |            - William Gibson              |
+============================================================================+
| "The views I express are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer" |

guy@ns.network.com (Guy D'Andrea) (05/07/91)

In article <680@cronos.metaphor.com> djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) writes:
>In article <L3HD21w164w@bluemoon.uucp> moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp (David Culberson) writes:
>>>
>>> I've even seen a NoiseTracker player for the IBM PC's internal speaker.  It
>>> certainly couldn't be any worse than that!
>>        Could you tell me where to get this? I have both a 386sx and an
>>Amiga 2000 <The Amiga is FAR superior IMHO>, and I find it , uh how should
>>I put this.... Entertaining... to say the least, to hear or see an IBM
>>attempting to emulate an Amiga. Ever use PC-View? sad sad sad.... Have you
>				 ---------------------------------
>
>Hold on a minute; I wrote PC-View a long time ago, when EGA was the best
>thing commonly available on a PC. Most Amiga images look fine under VGA,
>although I never released an enhanced version of PC-View that supports
>this. DeluxePaintII on the PC does this job already; the DPaint wasn't
>even available on the PC when I wrote PC-View, which is why I wrote it in
>the first place!
>
>Of course, you'll need an extended VGA card to display anything taller than
>350 lines, and HAM images are out of the question...
>--

Well we should almost run this in the graphics .sig but anyway...  Thanks
for PCVIEW.  I have a Bridgeboard and IBMs at work.  I do not own DP III so your
program is STILL useful to me!  Also there is a HAM to VGA program out there
now too!  I think it is HAMVGA.xxx, it runs a bit slow but the output is not
too bad.  I usually convert my HAMs to GIFs and then show them on IBMs...

--
 Guy Dandrea, Network Systems Corp.                       //
 guy@nsco.network.com #129.191.1.1                    \\ //

moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp (David Culberson) (05/08/91)

> Hold on a minute; I wrote PC-View a long time ago, when EGA was the best
> thing commonly available on a PC. Most Amiga images look fine under VGA,
> although I never released an enhanced version of PC-View that supports
> this. DeluxePaintII on the PC does this job already; the DPaint wasn't
> even available on the PC when I wrote PC-View, which is why I wrote it in
> the first place!
>
> Of course, you'll need an extended VGA card to display anything taller than
> 350 lines, and HAM images are out of the question...
> --

        Sorry! What I meant was HAM images on a VGA card <SVGA>! heh heh I
suppose I should give Pc-View a break 'cause it DID say it was  only EGA!
Is there anything out there <possibly by you?> to show 640x400 or greater
IFF's on an IBM? Not including DPAINT!!! Later! And, thanks for writing
Pc-View! I used it alot after I had sold my Amiga 1000 and was waiting to
get my 2000! On my 386sx.
                        MoonHawk <David Culberson>

 This is from
     moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp
     moonhawk%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com
who doesn't have their own obnoxious signature yet