[comp.sys.amiga.audio] Digitizing

mager@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Rainer V Mager) (02/21/91)

Hi, I was wondering what would be the best digitizer software out there,
PD.  I have Perfect Sound and I want something that will digitize to
disk so I can do LONG samples.  I am also looking for something to play
back the samples, preferably small and CLIable so it does not do much
visibly on the screen.  Thanx.

P.S.  Anyone have any palyers for MED files that somehow can incorporate
the display of the words of a song in time to the music, thanx.

Rainer
mager@unix.cis.pitt.edu

ags@scs.carleton.ca (Alexander George Morison Smith) (02/23/91)

In article <94252@unix.cis.pitt.edu> mager@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Rainer V Mager) writes:
>Hi, I was wondering what would be the best digitizer software out there,
>PD.  I have Perfect Sound and I want something that will digitize to
>disk so I can do LONG samples.  I am also looking for something to play
>back the samples, preferably small and CLIable so it does not do much
>visibly on the screen.  Thanx.

You can try AGMSRecordSound and AGMSPlaySound.  They are both CLI
utilities (ARP based) that handle long sound files.  Unfortunately
AGMSRecordSound only works with standard sound samplers (parallel port
kind) and not the newer PS version 3 hardware (older PS digitizers work
ok) .  Also, the sound quality of AGMSRecordSound isn't all that great.
But it records long samples to disk (any file system actually).

Available on ab20.larc.nasa.gov and BIX.

- Alex

bart@asgard.pub.uu.oz.au (John Butcher) (05/11/91)

Last year I wrote an audio digitizing program for a project, and I was quite
pleased with it, except for the actual timing of when a sample was taken.
I ended up doing it in a wierd way, which worked perfectly ( for my ears ;-),
but limited me to only 1/2 the max sampling rate.  Id be interested if anyone
could pass on to me a correct, system friendly, and accurate way of doing
this sort of high speed timing !

- Thanks in advance.

 John Butcher : bart@asgard.pub.uu.oz.au
                ..!munnari!eyrie.oz.au!asgard!bart
Proposed group comp.networks.load-reduction: Send your vote to dev/null