[comp.sys.amiga.audio] PerfectSound?

dgick@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (damian gick) (05/11/91)

Could someone who has (or has used) PerfectSound let me know via E-Mail
approxamately how many seconds I could digitize on a 1 meg Amiga 500.

Basically I want to digitize samples for use in demos and games written in
AMOS. Would I need a lot more memory to sample them? (Note: when I use them
in the program I don't want them too big so they can't be run on a 1 meg 500.)

Thanks,

Damian J. Gick   |  Please send any mail to:      | "...And keep on
IU @ South Bend  |                                |  thinking free!"
CSCI Undergrad   |  dgick@sbway.iusb.indiana.edu  |     --The Moody Blues

ammrk@swbatl.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May11.153758.662@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> dgick@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (damian gick) writes:
>Could someone who has (or has used) PerfectSound let me know via E-Mail
>approxamately how many seconds I could digitize on a 1 meg Amiga 500.
  Well thats entirely a factor of sampling rate.   If you are sampling at a rate
  of 20 KHZ  (or 20 Thousand cycles per second), that is actually 20 Thousand
  bytes of data per second.  You would actually use 20 Kbyte every second of
  time.  In a 1 MB A500, after your up and running, you may have only 800K of
  RAM free or so, so you could get 800K/20K /Second or around 40 seconds of
  music (voice, whatever).  That is assuming a 20KHZ sampling rate.  If you
  cut that in half, say use 10KHZ sampling rate, you could get 80 seconds of
  sampling in your same 800K of free RAM.  What you loose however, is fidility
  or actually frequency response.   At 10KHZ, this gives you an effective
  frequency response of 5KHZ (someone's theory, but its true).  5KHZ is fine
  for voice type applications, but music will sound very flat (few highs),
  sort of AMish sounding.  One other thing, if you sample in stereo, which the
  PerfectSound allows, you cut your sampling time in half (2 channels of
  sound instead of one).

>Thanks,

   NO problem, I hope this helps.    See ya later, Mike...

>Damian J. Gick   |  Please send any mail to:      | "...And keep on

      Mike Kraml - Manager-Finance MECHANIZATION - SWBT - (the HARD Hack)
          UUCP: {uunet, bellcore, texbell}...!swbatl.sbc.com!ammrk