[comp.sys.amiga.audio] Music Publishing Software

I'm trying to track down a program capable of doing a decent job of desktop
music publishing.  It doesn't have to actually play anything, just let the
user write music and get hot looking printouts (hopefully publication
quality, PostScript if possible) as reasonably as I can with text and graphics
in ProPage or PageStream.  Anyone know if such a puppy exists on the Amiga
yet?  Many thanks in advance, email or post the answers as y'all see fit.
      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) (04/26/91)

In article <20949@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>I'm trying to track down a program capable of doing a decent job of desktop
>music publishing.  It doesn't have to actually play anything, just let the
>user write music and get hot looking printouts (hopefully publication
>quality, PostScript if possible) as reasonably as I can with text and graphics
>in ProPage or PageStream.  Anyone know if such a puppy exists on the Amiga
>yet?  Many thanks in advance, email or post the answers as y'all see fit.
>--
>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

check out Dr. T's Copyist.  it's like CAD for music.  it does laser output
(i assume postscript - might be HP laserjet stuff though).

  --Scotty
Scott Drysdale           Software Engineer
Commodore Amiga Inc.     UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!drysdale
		         PHONE - yes.
"Have you hugged your hog today?"

In article <20949@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>I'm trying to track down a program capable of doing a decent job of desktop
>music publishing.  It doesn't have to actually play anything, just let the
>user write music and get hot looking printouts (hopefully publication
>quality, PostScript if possible) as reasonably as I can with text and graphics
>in ProPage or PageStream.

I'm no TeX expert, but on CeBIT last year they demosntrated a TeX
module for writing musical scores. The quality was impressing.
I don't have it myself. It's distributed by TechnicSupport, a company
in Berlin that also distributes TeX for the Amiga and has published
many Amiga books. (Address: Bundesallee 36-37, W-1000 Berlin 31,
Germany, Tel. 0049-30-8621314)

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (04/26/91)

In article <20949@cbmvax.commodore.com> Dave writes:
>I'm trying to track down a program capable of doing a decent job of desktop
>music publishing.  It doesn't have to actually play anything, just let the
>user write music and get hot looking printouts (hopefully publication
>quality, PostScript if possible) as reasonably as I can with text and graphics
>in ProPage or PageStream.  Anyone know if such a puppy exists on the Amiga
>yet?  Many thanks in advance, email or post the answers as y'all see fit.

The following would not have been suggested, but you did state that
the program doesn't have to play the music... :-)

Well Dave, here is your chance to justify getting AmigaTeX (or the PD
version)...  MuTeX is a macro package (with MetaFont fonts) that produces
beautiful pages of music via TeX.  I have seen the output, but don't
currently have it on my system due to the fact that music is not
my forte.  Tomas Rockiki, author of AmigaTeX, will provide MuTeX
on one of his AmigaTeX PD disks (or I think that it can be downloaded
from BIX) I believe, or it could be ftp'd/email'd from on of the
many archive sites.

As a side bonus, Radical Eye Software just started shipping a new
version of AmigaTeX that allows PostScript graphics to be pulled in
and rendered on any Amiga compatible printer!  He currently uses
post.library to provide this functionality and the output looks
great on my HP DeskJet printer...  If you liked scribe, you'll
love TeX.

>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

I love the album and I hope to see quotes from it engraved in the
new products you are working on.  :-)

Loren J. Rittle
--
``The Amiga continues to amaze me--if I had not been told that this video was
  created using the Amiga and Toaster, I would not have believed it.  Even

--

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (04/26/91)

>In article <20949@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>I'm trying to track down a program capable of doing a decent job of desktop
>music publishing.  It doesn't have to actually play anything, just let the
>user write music and get hot looking printouts (hopefully publication
>quality, PostScript if possible) as reasonably as I can with text and graphics
>in ProPage or PageStream.  Anyone know if such a puppy exists on the Amiga
>yet?  Many thanks in advance, email or post the answers as y'all see fit.

Dave,

  If you're a TeXnical type, you can use the MuTeX package and dvips to
generate very nice postscript music output. It wouldn't have a hot user
interface on it though. There's a good PD TeX available for the Amiga
called PasTeX, it's on ab20.larc.nasa.gov. It was cross-compiled to
assembler by GCC on a Sun 3 and then assembled on an Amiga. Tomas
Rockiki's TeX for the Amiga does have a very cool user interface, is
fully Arexx-programmable, and has excellent support. This coupled with
MuTeX might be what you are looking for. In fact, it should be possible to
write a program to allow you to write music on the screen, generate MuTeX
output from that, and send it to TeX via Arexx. Hmmm. Another project...

>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

@utrcgw.utc.com:mark@ardnt1 (mark) (04/27/91)

  I am forwarding this for someone here at work.
  Replies or questions can be sent directly to him or
  to me and I'll forward them to him.

--Mark

| Mark Stucky                         | Email:                               |
| United Technologies Research Center |   mark%ardnt1@utrcgw.utc.com         |
| East Hartford, CT.                  |   mast%utrc@utrcgw.utc.com           |

on Fri, 26 Apr 91 13:14 EDT,
"William R(ay) Brohinsky" <RAYBRO%HOLON@utrcgw.utc.com> said:

Mark, please forward this:

In article <20949@cbmvax.commodore.com> Dave Haynie writes:

Dave> I'm trying to track down a program capable of doing a decent job of
Dave> desktop music publishing.  It doesn't have to actually play anything,
Dave> just let the user write music and get hot looking printouts (hopefully
Dave> publication quality, PostScript if possible) as reasonably as I can
Dave> with text and graphics in ProPage or PageStream.  Anyone know if such
Dave> a puppy exists on the Amiga yet?  Many thanks in advance, email
Dave> or post the answers as y'all see fit.

<l-rittle@uiuc.edu> Loren J. Rittle responds:

Loren> The following would not have been suggested, but you did state that
Loren> the program doesn't have to play the music... :-)

Loren> Well Dave, here is your chance to justify getting AmigaTeX (or the PD
Loren> version)...  MuTeX is a macro package (with MetaFont fonts) that produces
Loren> beautiful pages of music via TeX.  I have seen the output, but don't
Loren> currently have it on my system due to the fact that music is not
Loren> my forte.  Tomas Rockiki, author of AmigaTeX, will provide MuTeX
Loren> on one of his AmigaTeX PD disks (or I think that it can be downloaded
Loren> from BIX) I believe, or it could be ftp'd/email'd from on of the
Loren> many archive sites.

Loren J. Rittle recommends a package called MuTeX to Dave Haynie.

I feel that a few more comments on this matter are in order:
I am not familiar with MuTeX. I do know of 2 packages, one called MTeX by
its authors (a pair of German MS students who went on to other things before
finishing it, but released what they'd done) and MusicTeX by Daniel Taupin.

Of the two, MTeX needs LOTS of work before it will be useful. MusicTeX seems
to have it's roots in MTeX, and D.T. has done yeoman service in producing it,
but it still has problems.

Currently, some extreem work is being done on MusicTeX: DT seems to have
added the MTeX slur fonts to the latest release, which is dated in
March 91. Some of us on bix (I hesitate to mention names) are working
on spacing problems and general problems. I will be (someday Real Soon Now)
adding some more font characters, for such things as codas, DS al Fine,
and some articulations.

There is also a package called Smus2TeX, but it suffers a bit: it presumes that
you will have a grand staff (piano style) and makes no effort to move
notes between staves. Since MusicTeX defines the lowest note that a staff
can have to be only about 3 ledger-lines below (although it goes quite high),
this means that transposed parts will be miserable. Also, it is quite
hard for any semi-intellegent program to make anything out of DMCS, which
is currently the best thing for making SMUS scores (sadly enough.)

DMCS forces the upper voice to treble clef, the next one down to bass clef, and
the subsequent ones to treble. This is disasterous for string quartets,
renaissance music (it seems to ignore C clefs altogether, even tho DMCS's
internal file format keeps them, and the SMUS definition allows for them!).
This wouldn't be so bad if EA weren't responsible for the SMUS format in
the first place...

Back to MusicTeX: The best documentation for using it is not the notice.tex
included with the distribution, but rather the copious examples and source
for music.tex. Unfortunately (again) the comments are all in French or
German, and most of the macro names are French colloquialisms. Not too much
problem for your average European, I'm sure, but my languages are Latin, Forth,
C, TeX, and English (in roughly that order!)

Finally, the note placement algorithms are not up to the job. There is an
excellent article in the latest ACM mag on music-typesetting. Someone on
bix is looking into that, and whether it can be applied to MusicTeX.

As much as I like (love, sass) AmigaTeX, I wouldn't say that its time for
music setting has come. Soon...real soon....

raybro

drxmann@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dustin Christmann) (04/27/91)

In article <20949@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>I'm trying to track down a program capable of doing a decent job of desktop
>music publishing.  It doesn't have to actually play anything, just let the
[etc.]

GASP! This must be a prank post from someone who has gotten access to Dave's
account. Dave Haynie with a QUESTION? Impossible. Not the ultimate Amiga guru
and general cool dude. Not the man whose name is on my 2000's motherboard.

Really? This is a real post? My illusions are shattered...

:-) :-) :-) :-)

>--
>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

--
Thanx,					Internet: drxmann@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Dustin R. Christmann			Bitnet: DRXMANN@UTXVM

jon@chopin.udel.edu (Jon Deutsch) (04/27/91)

In article <47981@ut-emx.uucp> drxmann@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dustin Christmann) writes:
>In article <20949@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>I'm trying to track down a program capable of doing a decent job of desktop
>>music publishing.  It doesn't have to actually play anything, just let the
>[etc.]
>
>GASP! This must be a prank post from someone who has gotten access to Dave's
>account. Dave Haynie with a QUESTION? Impossible. Not the ultimate Amiga guru
>and general cool dude. Not the man whose name is on my 2000's motherboard.
>
>Really? This is a real post? My illusions are shattered...
>
>:-) :-) :-) :-)

It's a SOFTWARE question-  Give the guy a break!  :)

Well, the only music publishing package that *I* know of (which isn't
much) is Dr T's Copyist Pro.  I think it has some MIDI implimentation, but
I'm not sure to what extent.

There are probably more that I am unaware of, but maybe that's enough.

       X-------------------+--------------+-----------------------X
       |  |   |\       |>jon@brahms.udel.edu<|  "For my 2 cents,  |
       | \|on |/eutsch |>>-----------------<<|  I'd pay a dollar" |
       X------+--------------------+--------------------+---------X

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/29/91)

In article <20949@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>I'm trying to track down a program capable of doing a decent job of desktop
>music publishing.  It doesn't have to actually play anything, just let the
>user write music and get hot looking printouts (hopefully publication
>quality, PostScript if possible) as reasonably as I can with text and graphics
>in ProPage or PageStream.  Anyone know if such a puppy exists on the Amiga
>yet?  Many thanks in advance, email or post the answers as y'all see fit.

  I have been working on a font that will do this! It prints out the staff
along with each note, so the font does take up all of the character codes.
The hard part is deciding which notes go to which keys. Also, FED is not my
favorite program, but it is the one I have....

>--
>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

givler@cbmvax.commodore.com (Greg Givler - Product Assurance) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr29.163405.7669@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>In article <20949@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>I'm trying to track down a program capable of doing a decent job of desktop
>>music publishing.  It doesn't have to actually play anything, just let the
>>user write music and get hot looking printouts (hopefully publication
>>quality, PostScript if possible) as reasonably as I can with text and graphics
>>in ProPage or PageStream.  Anyone know if such a puppy exists on the Amiga
>>yet?  Many thanks in advance, email or post the answers as y'all see fit.

Well, there is The Copyist, DTP by Mr. T's Software, It takes MIDI files
and produces very good output. You can do the editing by hand, but that
is very difficult and tedious. DMCS is what I use for scoring, it has some
limitations though. But for the money DMCS is pretty good. The problem with
The Copyist, DTP is that it is expensive, about $300.

>>--
>>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>>   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>>      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.
Greg Givler                        | Q-Link: GregGivler
Analyst - Systems Evaluation Group | CompuServe: Greg Givler 76702,647
Commodore Product Assurance        | GEnie: G.Givler
215-431-9100                       | The NET: givler@cbmvax.commodore.com
  "I was raised to be Charming, not Sincere" - Prince Charming to Cinderella
                     Into The Woods -- Lapine/Sondheim

vinsci@nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) (05/07/91)

I know there's another package as well, in addition to Copyist and the
TeX macro packages. I saw it in Commodore's boot at Amiga'90 in
Cologne.  What little I saw of it seemed very good, the package was
clearly made for professional music typists. I would have bought it
myself, but my sporadic usage would not have justified its price (it
wasn't exactly cheap). Some weak memory signal tells me it was put out
by a German company, but the name is gone.

  Maybe someone else remember seeing this and can tell us where it is
available. Perhaps someone organizing the Commodore display boot for
that show would be able to help you out as well. I tried looking
through the archive, but didn't find anything (I'm sure they had
flyers...)

-- Leonard

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) (05/07/91)

     I realize that this will only apply to a fraction of Amiga users, but for
my needs it works quite well: I have my sequencer record whatever song I'm
working on and have it play it back to me until it sounds exactly right.  Then
I save it as a MIDI file, and transfer it (via AMAX-II) to Macintosh disks.
      At this point I can use Finale (A VERY pricey but impossibly perfect
notation program with a learning wall... not curve... wall) to make printer-
quality output on a campus LP.  Mind you it takes a bit of wizardry to get
it into format that I can just dump a PostScript file out to a LaserWriter,
but the output looks beautiful.

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "I'm not God...  |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     |    I was just    |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    |       misquoted!"|
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      |   -Dave Lister   |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  |    RED DWARF     |
\---- DEB110@PSUVM.PSU.EDU  D.BISCHOFF on GEnie  THIRDMAN on PAN -----/

gt1619a@prism.gatech.EDU (James is just this guy, you know...) (05/07/91)

	Does anyone know if there's a patch to use Suberbase Pro 4 under 2.0?
The reason I ask is that I have a friend down the hall with a 500 that wants
to move up to a 3000 and he brings by his software to see how it runs on my
3000. Suberbase 4 Pro was really flaky and the forms editor didn't work at all.
Then again I was pushing the buttons and I don't even know how to use Superbase,
but I do know tse
but I do know that it shouldn't crash like it does.

-Thanx.
James D. McIninch
School of Applied Biology
Georgia Institute of Technology, Box 31619
Atlanta, Georgia 30332
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt1619a
Internet: gt1619a@prism.gatech.edu
*   The goal: to design CAD/CAM software and hardware for the creation   *
*             of living things...                                        *

leeuw@fwi.uva.nl (Jacco de Leeuw) (05/14/91)

vinsci@nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) writes:

>I know there's another package as well, in addition to Copyist and the
>TeX macro packages. I saw it in Commodore's boot at Amiga'90 in
>Cologne.  What little I saw of it seemed very good, the package was
>clearly made for professional music typists. I would have bought it
>myself, but my sporadic usage would not have justified its price (it
>wasn't exactly cheap). Some weak memory signal tells me it was put out
>by a German company, but the name is gone.

>  Maybe someone else remember seeing this and can tell us where it is
>available. Perhaps someone organizing the Commodore display boot for
>that show would be able to help you out as well. I tried looking
>through the archive, but didn't find anything (I'm sure they had
>flyers...)

>-- Leonard

I think I know what package you mean. I've got one of these flyers in
front of me. It's a special reprint from a german magazine, "Amiga Magazine",
Ausgabe 8/1990. The program is called "NotaScript", I'll try to sum up some
of the facts:

(First the pictures: B/W hi-res (A2024?) screen-dumps from the program.
 Difficult to describe for me as a non-musician. I could try to scan it
 and post it?)

- All text in German (yuck!). Maybe there's an English version out now?
- Examples: pressing key 'v' = 1/4 note, tail(?) of note up, 'V' tail down.
  'a' = 1/8 note up, 'A' = 1/8 note down etc. (German: viertel, achtel)
- Placing and removing notes, letters and symbols with cursorkeys.
- Max. format of paper: A3.
- Rastralsizes not limited. E.g. Rastral nr.2 = 1,880 mm.
- User-interface is like a direct dialog. Everybody can use it
  in one day (hmmmm... :).
- With an additional program you can make your own symbols.
- WYSIWYG-principle.
- Macro's.
- Advanced transposition, reversing of the tails possible.
- Text: 2 fonts, 3 sizes and 24 styles each.
- Prints on: 24 dots matrixprinters, inkjetprinters and laserprinters
  (with HPGL emulation) and plotters.

Planned additions (maybe already done?):

- PostScript.
- MIDI-input.

(Something I missed: HEARING a note when you place it. That's why a friend of
 mine still uses DMCS, and then transfers it to the Copyist for additional
 editing and printing).

Info:        NotaScript, DM 7000 (I think around $3500)
             NotaScript Jr, DM 998
Distributor: Feuchtlinger & Gleichauf Musikverlag GmbH
             Postfach 110240 / Niedermuenstergasse 2
             8400 Regensburg 11
             Germany
             Tel. 09 41/5 30 05
             "Ansprechpartner": Herr Kern
             Fax: 09 41/ 5 43 39

Remember, I have no connections with this company. I've just typed in
some of things from the flyer as a service to all of you outthere...

Jacco de Leeuw (leeuw@fwi.uva.nl)

PS. Just one more quote :)
    "Bach und Beatles waeren froh gewesen, haetten sie NotaScript gehabt."

--
Jacco de Leeuw            | Email: leeuw@fwi.uva.nl
J.C. van Wessemstr. 54    | Department of Computer Science