[comp.sys.amiga.audio] where can I find _music_ for st/nt?

pnelson@tymix.Tymnet.COM (Phil Nelson) (05/23/91)

OK, now that I have "Experiment IV", I am looking for music. It looks like
this one is going to work, only crashed twice so far (doesn't like 'SAY').
This is a big improvement on the music programs from a few years ago. I have
Deluxe Music, Sonix, SoundScape and Quasaround, all sitting on the shelf.
X4 really works, and with dnet (at 4800 baud I get a few errors, but dnet can
handle them). The only thing I _really_ don't like is the music I have found
so far. It's all some kind of syntho-pop-metal-cyber-rap-max-headroom (I mean
the stuff I found in the st-nt dir on ab20). This is impressive stuff, but
I'm too old to listen to it all day long.

Does anyone know if I can get (or create) something more, shall we say,
old-fashioned? Maybe some Bach? Mozart? Chopin? Has anyone heard of those
guys? :-) How are these noisetracker-soundtracker modules created? Can I
get a program that will let me transcribe from sheet music?

Please excuse my ignoramousness on this subject & Thanks for any info...

--
Phil Nelson @ BT North America Inc. [ames|pyramid]!oliveb!tymix!pnelson

	He who answers before listening-
                that is his folly and his shame.        -Proverbs 18:13

kkrueger@zeus.unomaha.edu (05/26/91)

In article <447@tymix.Tymnet.COM>, pnelson@tymix.Tymnet.COM (Phil Nelson) writes:
> OK, now that I have "Experiment IV", I am looking for music. It looks like
> this one is going to work, only crashed twice so far (doesn't like 'SAY').
> This is a big improvement on the music programs from a few years ago. I have
> Deluxe Music, Sonix, SoundScape and Quasaround, all sitting on the shelf.
> X4 really works, and with dnet (at 4800 baud I get a few errors, but dnet can
> handle them). The only thing I _really_ don't like is the music I have found
> so far. It's all some kind of syntho-pop-metal-cyber-rap-max-headroom (I mean
> the stuff I found in the st-nt dir on ab20). This is impressive stuff, but
> I'm too old to listen to it all day long.

There are several reasons why the music all sounds like sythomusic.  For one,
the Tracker programs lend themselves to more of a freeform writing style.
Transcribing sheet music into the Trackers is hell because it is hard to
determine time signatures, note length, etc.  Secondly, the Amiga plays pretty
good syth music because, after all, it is a synthesizer.  As far as being too
old (or too sophisticated) to listen to the music, I believe it is a matter of
preference, not sophistication.  I am a 25-year-old graduate student, and I
like a good chunk of the music.  OK, some of it is really bad and a bit dippy,
but there are some *extremely* (IMHO) good songs such as Dirt, Bridge, and
Cream of the Earth.  Besides, these songs contribute to the body of music.  If
you want Mozart, there are many London Symphony recordings on CD which sound
1000x better than your Amiga could possibly produce.  Computers do a lousy job
of putting subtle inflections in music.  There are a number of high school
musicians who can play Mozart without missing a note, but Itzhak Perlman sounds
a lot better.  Playing classical music on a computer is, I think, a bit
insulting to the music.  I've heard it, and I'd rather hear the high school
student.

--
Sign below.  Type hard, you are making thousands of copies.
Kurt Krueger | BITNET:   kkrueger@unoma1           |        //\