[comp.sys.amiga.audio] Multitasking intuition mod player.... here it is!

muzzle@cs.uq.oz.au (Murray Chapman) (04/21/91)

Hi there

OK! For all those who have been whingeing that there isn't an intuition based
module player that doesn't crash when you use the serial port..... you are
wrong!

WHERE IS THIS PROGRAM???? Right under your nose!!!!! ab20 has a file called
"/amiga/music/tools/Module-Master-1.7.dms", but as it is over 500K long, I
guess that not many people have bothered to download it to check it out!

The actual program itself is only 15K long, but with powerpacker.library
and req.library, it comes to about 30K.... been using it for and hour
with azcomm without a crash, but I'm no amiga guru on vertical blank
interrupts or the like, all I know is that it works!!!!!

Someone who knows more than me may want to disassemble it and make sure
or prove me wrong....

I will upload it to ab20 as /amiga/incoming/MM.lzh, so all those who don't
feel like downloading 500+ K of stuff can grab it quickly.... I was up til
3am this morning getting this beast.  The rest of the 500 K was taken up
by modules, all of which are available at ab20.

DOC FILE FOLLOWS:

                                Module Master
                          'The Amiga Music Machine'
                                 Version 1.7

        Module Master is a music module player that supports many of the
        popular module formats. It will run from Workbench or CLI, and
        multitasks well with most programs, So you can play music in the
        background. It was designed to be easy to operate and yet still
        have many good features. It is being improved all the time, so
        if anyone has any suggestions or ideas please let me know.

                                   FEATURES

                Plays SoundTracker 15 & 31 instrument Modules.
                         Plays NoiseTracker Modules.
                        Plays Future Composer Modules.
          Fast Foward & Rewind to find a particular point in module.
                       Ability to Turn Looping On & Off.
                           Auto Stop at end of Song.
            PAL switch for playing modules written on PAL machines.
                                 Sleep Feature.
        NEW-->   DeCrunches Modules crunched with Power Packer.
        NEW-->              User selectable Scopes.
        NEW-->   Multi-Play Feature to play a list of Modules.

                                   OPERATION

        Fast Foward & Rewind Operate only in Pause or Play Mode, and do
        not operate with Future Composer Modules (yet).

        When Loop is highlighted, the Module will loop until STOP is
        pressed.

        If a Module sounds like it is playing too fast, it was probably
        written on a PAL machine, so press the PAL switch to correct
        the speed.

        The Sleep gadget will let you close the window of Module Master
        so you can leave music running and not have the big window in
        your way, while doing other things.
        After pressing Sleep, just press Wake-Up to return to the Main
        window.

        You can drag the Main window by pressing on the Module Master
        title graphic.

        The Scopes Gadget toggles the Scopes Display on & off.

                                   MULTI-PLAY

        When in the File Requester, holding down the shift key will let
        you Multi Select. The Modules will play in the order you pick
        them, not the order in the requester. After selecting your list,
        hit play to start playing the list. To skip a selection, press
        stop and then press play again.

                                CRUNCHED MODULES

        You may crunch your modules with Power Packer to save disk space.
        The player will un-crunch them upon loading.

                                  INSTALLATION

        This program uses the Req.Library & the PowerPacker.Library,
        supplied on this disk in the libs directory. So if you move
        this program, you must have the 2 libraries in the libs
        directory of your boot disk.
        If installing on a Hard Drive, Be sure to move the libraries.

                                 FUTURE VERSIONS

        Future Versions will play 8-channel songs (even on NTSC), if people
        start writing 8-channel songs. I Have the 8-channel replay almost
        working on NTSC.

        Plans are in the works to add many other features.
        So watch for new versions.

        I Have included some of the better modules from my collection
        on this disk for your enjoyment. I did not write the songs, but
        if I did I could not have done a better job. Keep writing great
        music guys! Sorry for not including the name's of the people
        who wrote the songs, but I don't know where some of the modules
        come from.

         Any Comments or Suggestions, Leave me a message at:

                                   UTOPIA BBS
                              (407) 655-3561 24hrs.

                                        Thanx, See Ya Next Version!

                                                Night Vision

END OF DOC

One feature not mentioned in the doc is that if you are multitasking MM, and
another program calls "DisplayBeep()", then you can JUST hear it..... try it
with a comms prog... it works with azcomm!!!!  If MM is loaded but not actually
playing anything, then the sound channels are free for other programs (unlike
intuitracker)

+^o^+^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-+-o-+
|   | Murray Chapman                          muzzle@cs.uq.oz.au       |   |
| o |                                                                  | o |
|   | University of Queensland      "I'd rather have a bottle in front |   |
| o | St Lucia, Queenland            of me than a frontal lobotomy"    | o |
|   | AUSTRALIA                               - Mel Brooks             |   |
| o |                                                                  | o |
+^-^+^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-------------+---+
                                                          \__          | o |
                                        Hate that! ----->    +^-^-^-^-^-^-^-

lordbah@amusing.UUCP (Jeff Van Epps) (04/24/91)

MM 1.7 has its own modes of crashing.  Sometimes it locks up the machine,
sometimes it won't respond to input, etc.  Things like using power packed
modules, selecting multiple modules to play, using the sleep button, etc.
can usually cause some form or other of crash.

But I haven't noticed the serial port causing it to crash ;-)

    Jeff Van Epps    uunet!amusing!lordbah

dlb28311@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (David Black) (04/25/91)

I dunno. For me, MM would be just about perfect if it weren't for...
(there's always something, isn't there?)... the way it fragments
chip RAM. Otherwise it works like a charm. _PLEASE_, someone tell
me where to get a nice module player that: A) Doesn't guru,
B) Plays PAL mods at the correct speed, all the way through.
C) Doesn't trash all your chip RAM after a few songs.
We have yet to see one that meets both seemingly sparse
requirements... I personally know several other people
who feel the same way. Let's hear what's out there, eh? Thanks!

David Black  University of Illinois Materials Research Laboratory          ///
             Internet: dave-b@uiuc.edu                                    ///
             Bitnet:   black@uiucmrl                                  \\\///
             Usenet:   uunet!uimrl7.mrl.uiuc.edu!black%uimrl.dnet      \XX/

apm@vipunen.hut.fi (Antti Miettinen) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr24.171033.23075@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dlb28311@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (David Black) writes:
>A) Doesn't guru,
>B) Plays PAL mods at the correct speed, all the way through.
>C) Doesn't trash all your chip RAM after a few songs.

Has anyone tried NoisePlayer V3.50? It has never gurued at me. About
the playing speed I dont know but most mods sound fine. I just tried
playing some modules and the amount of free CHIP was the same before
and after playing. It doesn't interfere with serial port traffic (I
have played modules while DNET is transferring files and I'm reading
news - all at 9600 bps).

You can find this program at least at nic.funet.fi via nonymous ftp.
The player is in pub/amiga/new.

--
apm@kata.hut.fi

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (04/26/91)

>In article <APM.91Apr25221552@vipunen.hut.fi> apm@vipunen.hut.fi (Antti Miettinen) writes:
>Has anyone tried NoisePlayer V3.50? It has never gurued at me. About
>the playing speed I dont know but most mods sound fine. I just tried
>playing some modules and the amount of free CHIP was the same before
>and after playing. It doesn't interfere with serial port traffic (I
>have played modules while DNET is transferring files and I'm reading
>news - all at 9600 bps).

Noiseplayer has never caused a guru for me. YAY!!

It doesn't play PAL modules on an NTSC machine at the right speed, though.
It also refuses to load several modules that other (buggier) programs
will load and play.

It doesn't have much of a user interface, either. I want a non-buggy
intuitracker, darn it!

But, for the time being, I am using noiseplayer and module master, as they
seem to be the best current module players. I prefer module master now
because it can at least play modules at the right speed. Module master
sucks up CPU cycles though; noiseplayer is much lower overhead.

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

ericpaul@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Eric Paul Armstrong) (04/26/91)

apm@vipunen.hut.fi (Antti Miettinen) writes:

>In article <1991Apr24.171033.23075@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dlb28311@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (David Black) writes:
>>A) Doesn't guru,
>>B) Plays PAL mods at the correct speed, all the way through.
>>C) Doesn't trash all your chip RAM after a few songs.

>Has anyone tried NoisePlayer V3.50? It has never gurued at me. About
>the playing speed I dont know but most mods sound fine. I just tried
>playing some modules and the amount of free CHIP was the same before
>and after playing. It doesn't interfere with serial port traffic (I
>have played modules while DNET is transferring files and I'm reading
>news - all at 9600 bps).

>--
>apm@kata.hut.fi

I went and ftp'd this. It does not play at the correct speed on NTSC
machines and seems to use the VBI.  Otherwise the player seemed to work
and work well other than the large and ugly window it leaves on the
workbench while playing.

----
Eric P. Armstrong 			ericpaul@matt.ksu.ksu.edu

cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matthew W Crowd) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr26.160412.6098@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> ericpaul@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Eric Paul Armstrong) writes:
>apm@vipunen.hut.fi (Antti Miettinen) writes:
>
>>In article <1991Apr24.171033.23075@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dlb28311@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (David Black) writes:
>>>A) Doesn't guru,
>>>B) Plays PAL mods at the correct speed, all the way through.
>>>C) Doesn't trash all your chip RAM after a few songs.
>
>>Has anyone tried NoisePlayer V3.50? It has never gurued at me. About
>>the playing speed I dont know but most mods sound fine. I just tried
>>playing some modules and the amount of free CHIP was the same before
>>and after playing. It doesn't interfere with serial port traffic (I
>>have played modules while DNET is transferring files and I'm reading
>>news - all at 9600 bps).
>
>>--
>>apm@kata.hut.fi
>
>I went and ftp'd this. It does not play at the correct speed on NTSC
>machines and seems to use the VBI.  Otherwise the player seemed to work
>and work well other than the large and ugly window it leaves on the
>workbench while playing.
>
>----
>Eric P. Armstrong 			ericpaul@matt.ksu.ksu.edu

I tried running some NoiseTracker modules on this, namely Blue.Monday,
and about half way through the module the sound suddenly turned
rampantly violent and into a load of static, soon followed the
disintegration of the bitplanes from my workbench and then the untimate
accolade, a GURU. This has happened to me on my PAL machine with Module
Master with almost every module, somehow I'm glad I'm not running a
terminal program in the background, after all, i probably wouldn't get
that so far as to load one!

matt.

NOTE : The scopes are the fanciest I've ever seen......

Jon_Wolf@amicol.UUCP (Jon Wolf) (05/27/91)

Here it isn't. Module Master fragments chip ram badly such that you cannot
get chip ram back in shape without re-booting. All it take to fragemnt chip
ram is load in more then one module.

-- Via DLG Pro v0.97b

                                </