[comp.sys.amiga.audio] recommendations

dwells@polaris.cognet.ucla.edu (David Wells) (06/19/91)

I'll be getting an A3000 with the trade-up deal, and I'd like to get
it set up for music.  However, I'm just getting into electronic music,
so I don't know what's good, or even what features I should be looking
for.  I'd like to interface with MIDI equipment, perhaps digitize (16
bit) and play back sounds, and write music.

Any suggestions on hardware and software?  Are there other interesting
things that can be done - like what is a music language used for?

thanks,
dwells

ewilts@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca (Ed Wilts) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun19.005452.14756@cognet.ucla.edu>, dwells@polaris.cognet.ucla.edu (David Wells) writes:

> I'll be getting an A3000 with the trade-up deal, and I'd like to get
> it set up for music.  However, I'm just getting into electronic music,
> so I don't know what's good, or even what features I should be looking
> for.  I'd like to interface with MIDI equipment, perhaps digitize (16
> bit) and play back sounds, and write music.
>
> Any suggestions on hardware and software?  Are there other interesting
> things that can be done - like what is a music language used for?

For starters, to get into MIDI, you need a MIDI interface.  Basically all of
these are the same; some have serial passthrus or multiple outs, but no
one interface stands high above any other.  My own is home-built; it has 2 MIDI
ins (switchable) which is something that no commercial interface has.

For software, "write music" is too vague.  There are two basic methods for
writing music; one is known as scoring (write the music on a staff); the other
is known as sequencing (write music by playing it live).

Scoring packages are few and far between.  Sonix is very low-level and DMCS is
moderately buggy, no longer supported, but otherwise quite usable.  Both let
you play back using internal voices or output to MIDI (Sonix is very limited
though).  On the high end, there is Dr.T's Copyist.  It has no playback
capabilities but can convert to formats that other packages can read for
output.  The printed output from Copyist is supposed to be quite good.

Sequencing packages are become plentiful, and many good choices are available.
I use Dr. T's KCS 3.5, which probably has the best editing capabilities of all
the packages available.  It's come a long way since it was first released a few
years ago (it's available on other platforms as well; the vendor has a solid
reputation in the music industry).  You should also consider Music-X, Bars &
Pipes, and MasterTracks as alternatives.  All have their strenghts and
weaknesses.  None of these are copy-protected (KCS used to be key-disk
protected, but this was removed in the 3.5 upgrade).

If you are more into experimentation at this stage, you may want to consider
Tiger Cub; it's an excellent introductory low-cost package, and you can upgrade
it to KCS later.

For sampling, 12-bit and 16-bit samplers are just starting to hit the market,
but traditional 8-bit has been out for quite some time and is relatively
inexpensive.  For high-end sampling, consider some samplers from (say) Akai or
Roland; check out the music stores for these.

For recommendations on MIDI keyboards, samplers, or those other nice toys,
check out rec.music.synth.  [My personal setup is a Roland HP3500 digital piano
coupled with a Roland CM-64 synthesizer).

--
        .../Ed     Preferrred:  Ed.Wilts@BSC.Galaxy.BCSystems.Gov.BC.CA
Ed Wilts            Alternate:  EdWilts@BCSC02.BITNET    (604) 389-3430