[comp.sys.amiga.audio] Amiga + MIDI guitar

job@uk.ac.cam.cl (John Bates) (06/04/91)

What equipment do you need to use a midi guitar with an amiga?

Obviously something under the pick-ups. What else is needed?

I'd lurve some insight here.

Love

Jobby
xx

dgold@basso.actrix.gen.nz (Dale Gold) (06/06/91)

job@uk.ac.cam.cl (John Bates) asked:
> What equipment do you need to use a midi guitar with an amiga?
>
> Obviously something under the pick-ups. What else is needed?

MIDI guitar usually refers to an instrument that is designed to act as
a MIDI controller.  However, you can get kits to get a normal electric
guitar to do the same thing.  I don't know how succesful they are.

The MIDI guitar functions in the place of a synth keyboard, and may or
may not have its own sound module.  You can use it just like any synth
to drive all the synth modules you can afford to buy.  To use it with an
Amiga (and its sound samples) you'd best get some good sequencer software.

Cheers,
Dale
dgold@basso.actrix.gen.nz
Korokoro, New Zealand

cuddihyd@cshl.org (David Cuddihy) (06/19/91)

In reference to MIDI-controllers for guitar, the thing I hear most commonly
about is a MIDI-tracker, which you simply plug the guitar into(Instead of an
amp or whatever). It simply decodes the analog signal, tries to guess what
frequencies are occurring, and sends that off to a MIDI-processing chip that
turns it all into MIDI data. The only complaint I hear about these(like by
people like Trevor Rabin etc...) is that they can be slow, hence if you do
some super-fast run where more than one note is sounding, it could lose track
and start dropping notes but that was many years ago. They're probably better
now. I think you can pick one up for around $600 but I wouldn't bet on that.
I don't have any information on brands or anything like that.

			Have fun,
   		 	-.Davevad

ele9110@cdc835.cdc.polimi.it (Massimo Oluzzi) (06/20/91)

antonello@promind.UUCP (Antonello Biancalana) writes:

>> What equipment do you need to use a midi guitar with an amiga?

>What you need is a MIDI converter for guitar or you can buy a synth
>guitar.
>I know that Korg, Shadow and Roland made some good MIDI converters that
>i had to test on my electric guitar.
>A thing that be considered is the quality of the MIDI converter.
>Some MIDI converters have a lot of delay on their response, so when you
>pluck your strings, you can hear to the sound after a little delay (Ugh!).

Does anybody have informations about CASIO midi guitars (MG-510 and PG-380)?
(I mean informations both from a technical point of wiew - conversion delays -
and from an acoustic point of wiew - when using it just as an electrig guitar).

Thanks to you all.
					Massimo Oluzzi
					ele9110@cdc835.cdc.polimi.it

whitcomb@aurs01.UUCP (Jonathan Whitcomb) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.114614.3891@cdc835.cdc.polimi.it> ele9110@cdc835.cdc.polimi.it (Massimo Oluzzi) writes:

>Does anybody have informations about CASIO midi guitars (MG-510 and PG-380)?
>(I mean informations both from a technical point of wiew - conversion
>delays - and from an acoustic point of wiew - when using it just as an
>electrig guitar).

I have a Casio MG-510, and it's a love-hate relationship.  As a basic
guitar, it's very good.  It's a Stratocaster copy, with a humbucker
pickup in the bridge position, and a switch that shuts off one coil.
The pickup selector is a 5-way switch.  It plays quite well, and
sounds very good... the humbucker is very ballsy, and the other pickups
are clean and sweet.  There is one volume control and one tone control
for the audio out.  Hardware is average... sealed, Schaller type heads
and a standard (spelled C-H-E-A-P) tremolo bridge.  Actually, the
bridge is my only complaint with the guitar... like any standard strat,
it is a bear to keep in tune after you use the tremolo bar.  It seems
rather short sighted to put such a bridge on a guitar designed for
MIDI pitch tracking.  The neck has a good shape, an ebony fingerboard
and large frets that play nicely.  Give the guitar section a B+.

The MIDI section consists of a MIDI pitch tracking pickup, internal
audio to MIDI circuitry, and various switches, knobs and microswitches.
There is a MIDI volume control pot.  The 3 MIDI switches on the front each
have three positions.  The output selector switch selects guitar out,
MIDI out, or both.  The octave selector can choose low, middle and high
octave out.  The final switch uses two positions to select pitch bend
styles (smooth or glissendo), and the third position changes the MIDI
output to Program Change.  This means you can select the program
change number by playing different notes on the guitar... a nicely
imlemented feature.

Another nice feature is a built in guitar tuner.  Two LED's indicate
if you are sharp, flat, or on pitch, and it automatically adjusts
for each string... no swithes.

In back there are two banks of micro switches that allow you to
select the basic MIDI channel for mono mode, or allow you to set
each string to have a its own sequential MIDI channel.  There is
also access to the 9 volt battery.

There are two outputs:  guitar and MIDI.  There is also a jack for
the optional external power supply.  The MIDI section has an on/off
switch.

I give the MIDI electronics section a B.  My main gripe is that it
is difficult to switch between guitar and MIDI out in a live setting...
the switch is small, and right next to the other two, so it's hard
to quickly reach down and flick it to the right position without
hitting something else in the process.  As far as the number of
features in a small space, the logic is great.

And the big question is how well does the MIDI track the guitarist.
Give this section a C.  The delay is most noticable on the
lower strings, and when you try to play chords.  Higher pitches
track more quickly (which should be obvious to anyone with a
DSP background).

I find that I can't use the MG-510 as a synth controller for live
situations... the tracking is just too unpredictable.  However,
I can mix the synth and guitar sounds live to get some very
rich texture, because the ear picks up the attack from the guitar
signal, and doesn't perceive the slight delay for the synth to
kick in.  Don't try to use it live for synth signal only.

You can use the MG-510 with a sequencer, but I find I use the
quantize feature pretty often after I've recorded a new track
(I use Dr.T's KCS Omega on an Atari Mega ST4).  If you're handy
correcting slight timing errors with your editor, you should
not have a problem.

I got my MG-510 for $400 as a close-out special from Sam Ash.  For
that price it was more than worth it.  If you can find one cheap,
and don't need to use it live for synth sounds exclusively (unless
you mix it with guitar), I recommend you pick one up.

Jonathan Whitcomb                    UUCP: <whitcomb%aurgate@mcnc.org>
Alcatel Network Systems, Raleigh, NC                    Delphi: JBWHIT

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (06/23/91)

antonello@promind.UUCP (Antonello Biancalana) writes:

>I know that Korg, Shadow and Roland made some good MIDI converters that
>i had to test on my electric guitar.

There's also the Zeta Mirror Six, which is the best of the lot, by far.
I say this even though I was one of the people who created the thing.
It's a good guitar plus a good MIDI instrument, something not so true
of any of the other schemes.

>A thing that be considered is the quality of the MIDI converter.
>Some MIDI converters have a lot of delay on their response, so when you
>pluck your strings, you can hear to the sound after a little delay (Ugh!).

The primary design goal of the Mirror Six was that it should play just like
a guitar - and we came pretty damn close, in my opinion.  Check it out -
it's expensive, but it's neat.
--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us