[comp.sys.amiga.applications] A Spread Sheet.

bhgs@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (R. Holdom) (01/23/91)

Hi;
    I am looking for a spreadsheet program to keep track of grades, simple
finances, stuff like that.  Something with the functionality of Lotus123
would be more than adequate.  Any way, if any one is aware of a good
freely redistributable/shareware program of this nature I could ftp
from somewhere I'd like to hear about it.
                                                 Jon.

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) (01/23/91)

There's also Gold Disk Advantage  (or GD Home Office Advantage)
in the spreadsheet realm.  Good looking, works with the other
Gold Disk office product line, saves 1-2-3 files as well as its
own  (and Maxiplan?  forget).   I remember one particularly
annoying if obscure bug, but this was last year at my workplace
so it may well have been weeded out.  With GD it will certainly
be supported throughout the foreseeable future.

--
   //  / Thom Cleland                       / It is easier        /
  //  / tcleland@ucsd.edu                  / to get forgiveness  /

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (01/24/91)

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) writes:

>There's also Gold Disk Advantage  (or GD Home Office Advantage)
>in the spreadsheet realm.  Good looking, works with the other
>Gold Disk office product line, saves 1-2-3 files as well as its
>own  (and Maxiplan?  forget).   I remember one particularly
>annoying if obscure bug, but this was last year at my workplace
>so it may well have been weeded out.  With GD it will certainly
>be supported throughout the foreseeable future.

If you get Advantage, make SURE you get version 1.1. Version 1.0 cannot
handle any number over 6 (six) digits. Not being able to count isn't
exactly what I'd call an "obscure" bug. They finally did come out with a
free upgrade, but it took months.

The current annoyance is that it will not let you use commas to format
large numbers (ie 9,234,543,987). They say this has been added to the
list for future enhancements. Two or three more revs, and it could be a
very nice spreadsheet. As is, it's just adequate.

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com     or   blgardne%javelin@dsd.es.com

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (01/24/91)

In article <15888@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) writes:
>There's also Gold Disk Advantage  (or GD Home Office Advantage)
>in the spreadsheet realm.  Good looking, works with the other
>Gold Disk office product line, saves 1-2-3 files as well as its
>own  (and Maxiplan?  forget).   I remember one particularly
>annoying if obscure bug, but this was last year at my workplace
>so it may well have been weeded out.  With GD it will certainly
>be supported throughout the foreseeable future.
>--

I have actually spoken with the fellow who wrote this.  His comment
was that he was amazed at how easy it was to add and AREXX port, even
though he knows zilch about AREXX....  Also, he wrote it in Modula 2.
I'm  going to have to look at that language one of these days....

He's try to make a living off of this product.  You'd better believe
that Gold Disk is going to support it and release updates.

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.