[comp.sys.amiga.applications] SQL RDBMS for the Amiga

a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (01/24/91)

> saunders@refine.enet.dec.com writes:
>
> Anyway, the point of this post (finally ;-), is that I have been working on
> one myself.  I plan on releasing it as shareware ($20-$50).  It will have a
> command-line interface, a graphical query front end, and possibly a QBE
> option.  It will include screen entry forms, report generator, and a 4GL.
>
> Just to let you know.
>
>         - Kyle

Okay, now you've done it - you've got me curious. Please forgive me if this is
a rrrreeeeeaaaaallllllyy basic question, but...
What is RDMBS? And also, perhaps you could tell me what those other
things are too. :-)
-Ron Tarrant
a976@Mindlink.UUCP

saunders@refine.enet.dec.com (Kyle Saunders) (01/25/91)

I have heard several people comment on the fact that no real RDBMS exists,
especially an SQL one.  A couple people have said that there are a few being
worked on.  A guy named Adam Hill, I believe, has either used one or seen it.
I would guess it going to be commercial.  Is it?

Ron_Tarrant@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (01/25/91)

> Alexander Stockdale writes:
>
> I'll save you a quarter Ron:
>    RDBMS = Relational Database Managament System
>    QBE = Query By Example
>    "graphical query front end" = an alternative to the CLI for entering
>    queries to the database.
>    "screen entry forms" = a graphical alternative to the CLI for entering
> data into the database.
>    "report generator" = a piece of software which issues queries to the
> database and formats the results according to the users specifications
> (usually to produce reports).
>    "4GL" = 4th generation language

Hmmm, sounded more enticing when it was acronyms. Thanks.
-Ron

bruce@zuhause.MN.ORG (Bruce Albrecht) (01/28/91)

>In article <4555@mindlink.UUCP> a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) writes:
>> saunders@refine.enet.dec.com writes:
>>
>> Anyway, the point of this post (finally ;-), is that I have been working on
>> one myself.  I plan on releasing it as shareware ($20-$50).  It will have a
>> command-line interface, a graphical query front end, and possibly a QBE
>> option.  It will include screen entry forms, report generator, and a 4GL.
>

>Okay, now you've done it - you've got me curious. Please forgive me if this is
>a rrrreeeeeaaaaallllllyy basic question, but...
>What is RDMBS? And also, perhaps you could tell me what those other
>things are too. :-)

RDBMS = Relational DataBase Management System.
4GL = 4th Generation Language
--

bruce@zuhause.mn.org