[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Problems with PasTex

mfg@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Gordon) (01/25/91)

I am having great problems with PasTeX and, being a total novice when it
comes to TeX, have no idea what may be wrong.  I have assigned TeX: to the
top of the directory tree, set the environment variables TEXINPUTS etc but
the example command in doc/short_reference (virtex &plain story.tex) dies
immediately with the incredibly helpful error message `fatal format file
error; I'm stymied`.  Does anyone know which file this is refering to and
does it mean it couldn't find the file, the file is corrupted or what?

Also, does anyone know of any reasonable documentation for setting up and
using PasTeX?

Thanks
Michael
--
							 _   _   _    _   _
Michael Gordon - mfg@castle.ed.ac.uk OR ee.ed.ac.uk	| |_| |_| |__| |_| |

nick@uni-paderborn.de (Martin Koch) (01/28/91)

mfg@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Gordon) writes:

>I am having great problems with PasTeX and, being a total novice when it
>comes to TeX, have no idea what may be wrong.  I have assigned TeX: to the
>top of the directory tree, set the environment variables TEXINPUTS etc but
>the example command in doc/short_reference (virtex &plain story.tex) dies
>immediately with the incredibly helpful error message `fatal format file
>error; I'm stymied`.  Does anyone know which file this is refering to and
>does it mean it couldn't find the file, the file is corrupted or what?

The Problem is, that the TeX.mem File in DVI-configs doesn't match to the
.fmt File You are using. You have to recompile the Formatfile with initex.
Or copy it from a friend, whose version is working. To work with initex you
need at least 1.5MB Main Memory. You also need a good Book about TeX.
To get the formatfile You need the Files:
hyphen.tex
plain.tex
tex.mem
no invoke initex with
initex
type \input plain.tex
\dump
this crates a formatfile named plain.fmt.Now You can use this fomatfile.

To crate a LaTeX fmt-File, you need
tex.mem
lplain.tex
lfonts.tex
hyphen.tex

You invoke initex again and you type:
\input lplain.tex
\dump.

>Also, does anyone know of any reasonable documentation for setting up and
>using PasTeX?

If You can read German, Try TeX- eine Einfuehrung from N.Schwarz.
otherwise try D.E. Knuth --- The TeX-Book (This is the Author of the Programm!

>Thanks
>Michael
>--
>							 _   _   _    _   _
>Michael Gordon - mfg@castle.ed.ac.uk OR ee.ed.ac.uk	| |_| |_| |__| |_| |
>							| . . . .      . . |
>I spilt spot remover on my dog and now he's gone! 	|_________|~~|_____|

--
Bye ;-)
       //\      Martin Koch ---  email to: nick@uni-paderborn.de

djohnson@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Darin Johnson) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan28.111708.19313@uni-paderborn.de> nick@uni-paderborn.de (Martin Koch) writes:
>>Also, does anyone know of any reasonable documentation for setting up and
>>using PasTeX?
>
>If You can read German, Try TeX- eine Einfuehrung from N.Schwarz.
>otherwise try D.E. Knuth --- The TeX-Book (This is the Author of the Programm!

TeX books are easy enough to find.

However, the question is on PasTeX.  I just set this up last night, and
everything works great.  However, English documentation is pretty scarce.
Is there anyone who has translated the docs - especially the showdvi docs?
(I could have a friend translate these long documents for me, but I'd rather
keep the friend)

A couple of questions.  Does flip really save space in fonts, or just save
the space that would have been used by directory entries?  How does the
speed compare to other PD TeX's?
--
Darin Johnson
djohnson@ucsd.edu

GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Ives Aerts) (01/30/91)

The version of PasTeX I assembled works fine: I can compile my text
and preview but I can't print it !!!!!! What I'm doing now is uploading
it to the main frame and print it out on our laser printer there.
Anyone out there who managed to print with PasTeX ?
      Ives Aerts          |           IBM definition SY-34378
GUTEST8@BLEKUL11.BITNET   |    A signature consists of sequences of
GHGAEAB@BLEKUL11.BITNET   |  non-blank characters separated by blanks.

hessmann@r2d2.fmi.uni-passau.de (Georg Hessmann) (01/31/91)

In article <16096@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> djohnson@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Darin Johnson) writes:
[...]
>However, the question is on PasTeX.  I just set this up last night, and
>everything works great.  However, English documentation is pretty scarce.
>Is there anyone who has translated the docs - especially the showdvi docs?
>(I could have a friend translate these long documents for me, but I'd rather
>keep the friend)

Yes, Thomas Tavoly has done this (thanks again!). I will
put next week my last beta version of PasTeX to ab20...

This will include:
 - TeX 3.1      (with improved speed and better configuration possibility)
 - ShowDVI      (previewer, V1.07)
 - DVIprint     (printer driver, V1.07)
 - flib         (Font-Library-Manager V1.03)
 - SpecialHost  (program to include IFF pictures in the text)
 - german docs  (for all programs)
 - english docs (for all programs exept for virtex/initex)
 - newest macro files (plain.tex, lplain.tex, ...)

>A couple of questions.  Does flip really save space in fonts, or just save
>the space that would have been used by directory entries?  How does the
>speed compare to other PD TeX's?

Yes flib saves space for directory entries and because of the unused bytes
in the last block of every file (average 256 bytes for every file).

I don't have compared my TeX especially with other PD TeX's. But it is
faster than an old version of Common-TeX. I have compiled it with
LC 5.10a and -O option. And I have 5 critical procedures translated
to assembler. Both, virtex and initex are pure, so that the startup
time is a little bit faster.

>Darin Johnson

	Georg.

--
  hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de		hessmann@unipas.uucp

hessmann@hal.fmi.uni-passau.de (Georg Hessmann) (01/31/91)

In article <91029.162347GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be> GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Ives Aerts) writes:

>The version of PasTeX I assembled works fine: I can compile my text
>and preview but I can't print it !!!!!! What I'm doing now is uploading
>it to the main frame and print it out on our laser printer there.
>Anyone out there who managed to print with PasTeX ?

Yes, I can :-)

What's your problem? Fonts, Memory, ... ?
What printer do you have?

	Georg.

--
  hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de		hessmann@unipas.uucp