[comp.sys.amiga.applications] CommonTex

Dennis_Grant%CMR001.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca (01/31/91)

     I downloaded CommonTex from the amiga/tex directory of ab20 yesterday,
and I can't seem to get it to work. I set up all the files in their proper
directories, and I get the shell fine, put if I run VerTeX on any of the
included .tex files, I get errors, and when I dump the .dvi file to prt:
all I get is baud barf. (I have a MPS 1250 - an Epson FX compatible)

     How does one print out a .dvi file? What else do I need to download,
and where can I find it? Or: if someone out there has what I need, and
can send stuff over mail without going bankrupt, please send it to me
lharc-ed and uuencoded. (address is in the sig_)

     In either case, please e-mail me directly. My c.s.a relay is acting
up again, and I may not see a post.

     Thanx in advance,

  Dennis Grant   3rd year CS student at Le College Militaire Royal de St-Jean
  DETUD595@CMR001.BITNET
  How much do I love thee? My accumulator overflows!

cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) (01/31/91)

I have seen this program mentioned (PasTeX), is it just CommonTex under a
different name?  If not, where can I get it?  Are there ANY other TeX
packages available for the Amiga besides the CommonTex one?

Christopher Walton
cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu
n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu

dooley@utkux1.utk.edu (Kevin Dooley) (01/31/91)

In article <43239@nigel.ee.udel.edu> Dennis_Grant%CMR001.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca writes:

>     I downloaded CommonTex from the amiga/tex directory of ab20 yesterday,
>and I can't seem to get it to work. I set up all the files in their proper
>directories, and I get the shell fine, put if I run VerTeX on any of the
>included .tex files, I get errors, and when I dump the .dvi file to prt:
>all I get is baud barf. (I have a MPS 1250 - an Epson FX compatible)
>
>     How does one print out a .dvi file? What else do I need to download,
>and where can I find it? Or: if someone out there has what I need, and
>can send stuff over mail without going bankrupt, please send it to me
>lharc-ed and uuencoded. (address is in the sig_)
>
>     In either case, please e-mail me directly. My c.s.a relay is acting
>up again, and I may not see a post.
>
>     Thanx in advance,

>  Dennis Grant   3rd year CS student at Le College Militaire Royal de St-Jean
>  DETUD595@CMR001.BITNET
>  How much do I love thee? My accumulator overflows!

The .dvi file is in a generic 'device independant' vector (?)
graphics format.  Now you need a utility to convert it to whatever
device you actually have.  In this case you will want a dvi to epson
converter (I think there is one called dvitoepson, oddly enough).
There are a number of such utilities at ftp sites.  I suggest
looking into the drivers written by Nelson Beebe.  They are all
available in c-source code which is sufficiently well written
that I have gotten at least the postscript section running on
various different machines without serious problems.

cheers,  Kevin

kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) (01/31/91)

In article <43239@nigel.ee.udel.edu> Dennis_Grant%CMR001.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca writes:

>     I downloaded CommonTex from the amiga/tex directory of ab20 yesterday,
>and I can't seem to get it to work. I set up all the files in their proper
>directories, and I get the shell fine, put if I run VerTeX on any of the
>included .tex files, I get errors, and when I dump the .dvi file to prt:
>all I get is baud barf. (I have a MPS 1250 - an Epson FX compatible)
>
>     How does one print out a .dvi file? What else do I need to download,
>and where can I find it? Or: if someone out there has what I need, and
>can send stuff over mail without going bankrupt, please send it to me
>lharc-ed and uuencoded. (address is in the sig_)
>
>     In either case, please e-mail me directly. My c.s.a relay is acting
>up again, and I may not see a post.
>
>     Thanx in advance,

>  Dennis Grant   3rd year CS student at Le College Militaire Royal de St-Jean
>  DETUD595@CMR001.BITNET
>  How much do I love thee? My accumulator overflows!

a .dvi file is NOT, I repeat NOT a printable file.  "dvi" means Device
Independent, and is an intermediary file between TeX and a printer driver that
is tailored for a particular output device.

Thus, you need a printer driver for your printer.  This printer driver
will read in the .dvi file and output a file suitable for sending to your
printer.

				-- Kevin --

Kevin Klop		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!kevin
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

	``Be excellent to each other.''
		- Bill and Ted's most excellent adventure

Disclaimer: _I_ don't know what I said, much less my employer.

harris@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) (02/01/91)

cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) writes:

>I have seen this program mentioned (PasTeX), is it just CommonTex under a
>different name?  If not, where can I get it?  Are there ANY other TeX
>packages available for the Amiga besides the CommonTex one?
No, CommonTeX is a different package.  I tried it and couldn't get it
to work, so in that respect, PasTeX is better.

PasTeX is available from abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov (128.155.23.64).
Unfortunately, most of the docs don't seem to have been translated
from German, yet.

>Christopher Walton
>cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu
>n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu
Rik.
--
Rik Harris - rik@sola.fcit.monash.edu.au or harris@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au
who died of administration on the 20th of December 1990