[comp.sys.amiga.applications] HD crash? Please advice!

bjoerns@stud.cs.uit.no (Bjoern Stabell) (02/06/91)

I've had a very disturbing experience recently - my HD is crashed, or
so it seems. I'll give you all the details so you can figure out it
yourself:

(I have an Amiga 2000 with a 40meg HD, three partitions one 50 kB, one
2MB and one 40MB. I 'only' have problems with the larges partition.)

        It started when I was doing some compiling of a sprite proggy
with the Lattice C Compiler 5.04 - I got a guru each time... Then
suddenly, the source file was corrupt, i.e. I got only rubbish when I
loaded it into CED.
        So, the machine crashed again (with a guru) and when it
rebooted, I got an 'Error validating disk - key 64325 (something big)
allready set'. At this point I began suspecting something was terribly
wrong - I didn't backup the HD though (I DON'T HAVE A BACKUP OF THE
HD), and tried running MarkBad, but it came short - no errors on this
disk.
        Now the 'crash' came, when I booted again I got - 'Not a DOS
disk in unit 1' (which is where I have my HD of course). The Work-
partition didn't work... :(

That's the story so far, I have NO IDEA how to proceed next - I only
know a friend of mine (who also suffered a HD-crash) had to change the
whole disk after sending back and forth between him and the service-
men for half a year.

Please advice! :-) Will QuarterBack Tools do the job correcting the
corrupt disk? In advance - thank you very much!

--
----/    Bjoern  Stabell    \--Email: bjoerns@stud.cs.uit.no--
---|    Tunvegen 29 / B22    |----------//--------------------

In article <1991Feb6.122233.22559@hod.uit.no> bjoerns@stud.cs.uit.no (Bjoern Stabell) writes:

>        So, the machine crashed again (with a guru) and when it
>rebooted, I got an 'Error validating disk - key 64325 (something big)
>allready set'.
>
>        Now the 'crash' came, when I booted again I got - 'Not a DOS
>disk in unit 1' (which is where I have my HD of course). The Work-
>partition didn't work... :(

Well, this doesn't sound like a hardware crash, it's "only" software.
Some program has written garbage on some vital disk areas.

When you get a "Not a DOS disk...", then the "Root block" of that
partition is bad. It's not necessarily totally corrupted, a bad
checksum suffices to evoke this message. You definitely need
some expert who has deep knowledge of the file system. He should
be able to restore these data. There exist some tool programs
which might help with this job (Fixdisk or DiskSalve (the latter
is only applicable, when you have a *free* partition of at least
the same size available)), but I can't tell details which would
do the job automatically.