[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Quarterback Tools

glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) (02/05/91)

I have just recently purchased Quaterback Tools, the version i received
was 1.0. After hearing that version 1.3* was out I asked the retailer I
got it from to get another one and see what version it was, it was
again 1.0. Is it a valid statement that QB Tools is up to 1.3*, my
version bombs under 2.0, and crashes on file recovery on partitons
greater than 20 meg.

Has anyone upgraded QB Tools through Central Coast Software ? Is there a
fee involved ? The retailer told me that if the program is so bug ridden
I should be able to get an upgrade just by sending the registration
card and/or a page from the manual.

thanks, Matt Crowd.

lcbrink@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Lee C. Brink) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb5.021222.10781@marlin.jcu.edu.au> glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) writes:

>Is it a valid statement that QB Tools is up to 1.3*, my
>version bombs under 2.0, and crashes on file recovery on partitons
>greater than 20 meg.

 The last time I checked (About a month ago) they were up to 1.3d.  I don't
remember how well it fared on 2.0 (I don't have 2.0 so I ignored the messages
concerning it), but the current version works fine on my 2500/20 with
the 2090A card (Partition sizes 7M/32M) w/o a hitch.  With the older versions
they frequently didn't work on large partitions, but MOST (Not all) of the
bugs are worked out.

>Has anyone upgraded QB Tools through Central Coast Software ? Is there a
>fee involved ? The retailer told me that if the program is so bug ridden
>I should be able to get an upgrade just by sending the registration
>card and/or a page from the manual.

  When you call the BBS number (I don't have it handy, but you can get it
from CCS), leave mail to the sysop telling them your name, registration #,
and that you want access to the Quarterback Tools support message base.  Within
24 hrs you'll have access.  On the BBS they discuss who's having problems
with what configurations as well as a trouble/bug report form.

     Lee

--
 Lee C Brink - Operator at NorthEast Parallel Architectures Center (NPAC)
 lee@nova.npac.syr.edu  -  Internet ; LBRINK1 - GEnie

ewilts@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb5.021222.10781@marlin.jcu.edu.au>, glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) writes:

> I have just recently purchased Quaterback Tools, the version i received
> was 1.0. After hearing that version 1.3* was out I asked the retailer I
> got it from to get another one and see what version it was, it was
> again 1.0. Is it a valid statement that QB Tools is up to 1.3*, my
> version bombs under 2.0, and crashes on file recovery on partitons
> greater than 20 meg.

My version of Quarterback Tools is 1.3a, December 2, 1990.  There are rumours
that a version later than this is out.  The release notes on the disk note
extensive fixes, especially depending on your specific configuration.
Specifically,  2090/2090A, Wordsync, Trumpcard, and Hardframe controllers all
experience problems under previous versions.  Really, there were MANY fixes.
You should get the latest version.

> Has anyone upgraded QB Tools through Central Coast Software ? Is there a
> fee involved ? The retailer told me that if the program is so bug ridden
> I should be able to get an upgrade just by sending the registration
> card and/or a page from the manual.
>
> thanks, Matt Crowd.

My copy came as version 1.3a.  My dealer offered to let me update my copy for
free if he gets a higher version in.  Just bring in your original, and he'll
copy over top.  I suspect this will be for the minor versions only, though.  If
a major version comes out for which there is a significant update fee, I will
go through CCS to get the update.  Ask your dealer what he'll do for you.

    	.../Ed

whicker@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (gary alan whicker) (02/06/91)

 My current version of QB Tools is 1.3a . I would definatly send in
 your registration card with a letter asking about an upgrade.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
o  "All dross of education and civilization slipped from me,       o
o   leaving only the primitive man, only the primordial soul,      o
o   red-taloned, ferocious." - Robert E. Howard                    o
o------------------------------------------------------------------o
o Gary Whicker | whicker@handel.cs.colostate.edu | AMIGA of course o

davis@soomee.zso.dec.com (Mark W. Davis) (02/08/91)

 I received version 1.0 when I purchased QB Tools.  Which, as previously
stated, was bug-ridden and useless.  I called the BBS number stated in
the README included with the software, registered with the BBS, and within 2
hours downloaded a copy of version 1.3a which has worked flawlessly
for me.(my largest partition is 140Mb).  I hear that there is a later version
available but have not taken the time to download it.

Mark