[comp.sys.amiga.applications] amiga laser light show

cshort@nmsu.edu (Spmg*d, Lord of Potted Meat Product) (02/08/91)

hi

i an amiga fanatic with a lasers as a hobby. stumbling around amazing computing
back issue index, i find: Vol 3 No 2, Feb 88

Laser Light Shows With the Amiga, by Patrick Murphy

DOES ANYBODY HAVE THIS ARTICLE

please please, post or send it to me or whatever

thanks

chris

cshort@nmsu.edu
computing research lab
new mexico state university
las cruces, nm

m0154@tnc.UUCP (GUY GARNETT) (02/08/91)

In article <CSHORT.91Feb7210310@haywire.nmsu.edu> cshort@nmsu.edu (Spmg*d, Lord of Potted Meat Product) writes:

>hi
>
>i an amiga fanatic with a lasers as a hobby. stumbling around amazing computing
>back issue index, i find: Vol 3 No 2, Feb 88
>
>Laser Light Shows With the Amiga, by Patrick Murphy
>
>DOES ANYBODY HAVE THIS ARTICLE
>
>please please, post or send it to me or whatever
>
>thanks
>
>chris
>
>cshort@nmsu.edu
>computing research lab
>new mexico state university
>las cruces, nm

Yep, and I have also met the man.  Patrick was one of the early
members of the DC area Amiga user group; I have seen his setup and
software, and can tell you a little about it.  At one time he was
selling the software (maybe with some hardware) to other interested
parties.

Patrick used an Amiga 1000 with the audio output filter hack; he
pulled the unfiltered audio out to two extra jacks on the back of the
machine.  This he ran through his amps and into the X and Y inputs of
a laser galvo.  Waveforms output to the L and R sound systems became
the X and Y displacements for the galvo.  Patrick's original software
was written in AmigaBASIC; it allowed you to draw a figure on the
screen, built it up as a waveform, and sent it off to the audio
hardware.  The software got more and more sophisticated as Patrick
added more neat features (multiple buffers, laser writing, and so on).

If you have an A500, 2000, or 3000, the audio filters are switchable.
The signal at the audio out jacks are line level, ready to go into
your galvo.  You can then play with software to let you control the
laser.  It can be done with AmigaBasic, or a simple C program will
let you control the audio hardware (check out the Amiga Hardware
Reference Manual from Addison-Wesley).  I will check around and see if
I can find Patrick's address, and any more information.

Wildstar