[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Best print quality to dot matrix printers

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug Dyer) (02/08/91)

I have a panasonic 1124, and prowrite3.1,

  Now, prowrite is a GREAT word processor but the only descent output
is using its NLQ mode (elite font).  What software out there can take
advantage of my printer (or epson-lq) for graphics, multi-font?

  The prowrite normal with smoothing print modes is awful.   I wondered
if it was the tolerance and density slides in the printer preferences,
but toying around with those never changed anything.

  How does pagestream do?  Could Prowrite use my printer's other built-in
fonts (or perhaps a different point size of elite)?

--
2B|!(2B) => ?
ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu

C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) (02/08/91)

In Message-ID: <12981@hubcap.clemson.edu>
          ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug Dyer) said:

>I have a panasonic 1124, and prowrite3.1,
>
>  Now, prowrite is a GREAT word processor but the only descent output
>is using its NLQ mode (elite font).  What software out there can take
>advantage of my printer (or epson-lq) for graphics, multi-font?

   You might try pushing the density up higher... this can be done in WB Prefs
or you can adjust it in the Page Setup... requestor in Prowrite.  Then, with
the density set higher, set the reduction to 50%.  Then Select All and enlarge
the fonts to a point size that is double the normal size.  This may or may
not work.  The Prowrite manual mentions this technique in one of the sections
on printing... check the Using Prowrite section, the Reference section, and
the Printing Considerations Appendix C.  It's in there somewhere.

| Baird McIntosh | c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet |
|    "K I L L   T H E   R A T !"  -- seen on a sign at a pro-Gulf_War rally |
|                                                                           |

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug Dyer) (02/08/91)

OK, fixing some things will give better quality, but not much.  So I went on
a rampage to find stuff.  Most (probably all) was found scattered around on
abcf20.  I collected lots of fonts (all ended up being postscript) and a
GREAT driver for epsonq series (even uses a 68020,30 if you got it).

All of these are in a directory at hubcap.clemson.edu:
pub/amiga/incoming/FONTS&DRIVERS

If anyone has anything to add there (such as fonts for prowrite, drivers, etc)
PLEASE upload them.  Lets see what we got here.  I didn't seem to find enough
stuff, but I'm sure you guys have loads of junk youd like to share???

Anyway, is there any possibility of prowrite using the other builtin fonts
on the panasonic (script, courier, prestige,...) on the same page?

Bye,
and thanks for the help :)
Doug

--
2B|!(2B) => ?
ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu

m0154@tnc.UUCP (GUY GARNETT) (02/08/91)

Pagestream produces excellent quality print to dot-matrix and laser
printers.  The new version (2.1) imports ProWrite format files
directly (you used to have to save as ASCII).

PageStream is a desktop-publishing package; it works as well as the
better packages on other platforms.  Pagestream is *NOT* a word
processor; using it to print out correspondence is (in my opinion) a
waste of time.

Many of the Amiga's graphics wordprocessors print out the documents
using the Preferences printer drivers.  The result is poor to
mediochre quality output.  Pagestream uses its own printer drivers for
supported printers, and produces excellent quality print-outs.  I have
a NEC P7 (24 pin dot-matrix) printer in-house.  Output resolution is
very high (360x360 dpi) and the print is of good quality.  Although
the resulution is very high, it is not laser quality; the mechanics of
the dot-matrix printer limit the output --- the dots are fuzzier and
larger  than a laser printer.

I have used a laser printer with Pagestream (HP LaserJet).  If you
have enough memory in the printer, the output is of good quality.
Output can also be set to a service bureau in PostScript format for
printing on an imagesetter.  The results are again, very good.

If all you want is better output from your word-processor, PageStream
is overkill.  It has a learning curve, and will cost you a lot of time
(printing 360x360dpi in a 2.5Mb Amiga takes several minutes per page;
longer if the page is more complex.  More RAM would help this
situation, however).  If you need a desktop publisher, it is one of
the best available.

Wildstar

rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) (02/09/91)

In article <12981@hubcap.clemson.edu> ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug Dyer) writes:
>I have a panasonic 1124, and prowrite3.1,
>
>  Now, prowrite is a GREAT word processor but the only descent output
>is using its NLQ mode (elite font).  What software out there can take
>advantage of my printer (or epson-lq) for graphics, multi-font?

Sounds a lot like the results I get with Excelence 2.0 and an
MPS-1000, only the printer's natural NLQ mode is acceptable.

>  How does pagestream do?  Could Prowrite use my printer's other built-in
Wonderful.  Not quite a postscript laser printer, but it really
looks good.  There's something to be said for custom print drivers.

Rick