[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Electronic Dictionary

dsherif@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (Darin D Sheriff) (02/13/91)

     I have decieded that it would be a good idea to have an electronic
dictionary on hand (The type where you type in a word and it tells you
whether you got it right or not, and gives you the meaning) and was
wondering whether such a beastie was available for the Amiga.  If someone
knows of one kindly sing out.  Thank you.
--
Darin Sheriff; Amiga 1000 owner.        dsherif@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu
A computer: A machine that enables one to make twice as many mistakes

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (02/13/91)

Darin Sheriff writes:
>      I have decieded that it would be a good idea to have an electronic
> dictionary on hand (The type where you type in a word and it tells you
> whether you got it right or not, and gives you the meaning) and was
> wondering whether such a beastie was available for the Amiga.  If someone
> knows of one kindly sing out.  Thank you.

Time to plug ISpell... (Soon to be seen on comp.source.amiga, when Tad
gets around to it... :-)

Note: ISpell does not have definitions or meaning of words, but it
is a great spelling checker...

<From the UseNet Header of ISpell>
Subject: ISpell

Version: 3.1ljr [with ARexx Server Mode]

Long_Description:
Plainly speaking, ISpell is a spelling checker with a few features
you don't get anywhere else...
Most importantly, unlike the UNIX(tm) spell program, ISpell is interactive.

ISpell v3.1ljr can be used in two major modes:
1. Original Interactive Mode (does not require ARexx):
This mode will allow the user to interactively spell check and correct
a text document.    Regular expression lookup of word patterns is
possible.  All operations are *fast* because ISpell uses an in-
core hash table of words.  (It also eats *large* amounts of memory!
Ahh, the tradeoffs of software design.  This feature will not be
changed/fixed/whatever (at least by me...).)

2. New ARexx Server Mode (of course ARexx server mode requires ARexx):
This mode allows the end user to hook ISpell up to text
editors and other things that need a spell checking service.
Regular expression lookup of word patterns is also possible
in ARexx Server Mode.  This mode appears to be even faster than
the above mode, because ISpell stays in memory waiting for requests ---
the mumble, mumble (500K) hash file only has to be loaded into
memory once at startup time.
Currently supported ARexx commands:
Add, QuickAdd, Check, QuickCheck, FileCheck, Lookup, Version, Exit.
ARexx macros are provided for CygnusEd Professional v2.12 (and before if
you're lucky), mg3beta4 or later(Thanks Mike Meyer!) and the command line.

From man/readme.old:
``My eternal gratitude to the author of ispell -- I don't know how I
ever lived without it.  I received his permission to post ispell to
the net...'' - Walt Buehring [a long time ago]
Permission to freely distribute for non-profit use is hereby granted.
Fred Fish is welcome and encouraged to place this on a ><> Disk.

Loren J. Rittle
lrg7030@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri Feb  8 15:34:37 1991
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster *would not* be made to directly support the
  Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' -A scene at the

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (02/13/91)

Just got ISpell (Thanx)

an amiga adepts "first impressions"

1) FAST.. Needs RAM tho.. (Program + Dictionary = about .6 meg)
2) Easyto add words to the dictionary, but a REXX program could make it
   totally painless.

3) With CED (And others?) it Will check as you type stuff in.

PROBLEMS----

1) and the only one..

The Doc File in the uuencoded LZH file was Munged...  :^(
(SO i wonder if i could get just the DOC files again)

2) It is distrubuted with the OLD version of RUNBACK..
if ya use the New version everything gets piped to Null: twice.
(I think this Totally messs up somthing)

-------

The electronic theosurus (hay I can't figger out how to hook up ISPELL to
VLT eh..)

is an OK program... (a little over rated)
.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu
Willis F York

dtiberio@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb13.002554.10557@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dsherif@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (Darin D Sheriff) writes:
>     I have decieded that it would be a good idea to have an electronic
>dictionary on hand (The type where you type in a word and it tells you
>whether you got it right or not, and gives you the meaning) and was
>wondering whether such a beastie was available for the Amiga.  If someone
>knows of one kindly sing out.  Thank you.

  Yes, Darin. I know of a small dictionary program that stores as many
definitions as memory allows, although it is designed to 'grow' as you use
it. (It is not a commercial program). You can add new words by searching
through existing text files that you have laying around, etc. Right now
mine has 4,000 words that I have added, most of which are definitions from
school classes (psychology and Italian). Well, the group that makes it is
called "Total Production" (formerly known as Toto Productions). I am sure that
the author would be glad to send you a copy. His phone number is 2-3605.
The name of the program is VocabX 1.1.

>--
>Darin Sheriff; Amiga 1000 owner.        dsherif@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu
>A computer: A machine that enables one to make twice as many mistakes
>            in half the time.            --unknown--
>Disclaimer: It wasn't me.  It was Chucky.  He did it.

DavidTiberio SUNYStonyBrook2-3605 AMIGA TotoProductions DDDMEN

dtiberio@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (02/18/91)

In article <CIMSHOP!DAVIDM.91Feb15102642@cimshop3.uunet.UU.NET> cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:

>David> I am sure that the author would be glad to send you a copy. His phone
>David> number is 2-3605.

  Yes, that is my phone number. I live in a very small community, area code 1.

Actually, it is my school campus phone number, and Darin (who I was responding
to) lives on campus. When we first met, I told himn that I wrote a few programs
including a dictionary program so I could store my psychology vocabulary.
Obviously he either forgot, or he never realised my incredible programming
ability (but inability to actually RELEASE the programs) :).

DavidTiberio SUNYStonyBrook2-3605 AMIGA TotalProductions DDDMEN

dsherif@engws2.ic.sunysb.edu (Darin D Sheriff) (02/18/91)

>David> I am sure that the author would be glad to send you a copy. His phone
>David> number is 2-3605.
>
>                 ^^^^^^ - this is a phone number?

     Why yes it is.  The original poster lives a few buildings away from me
 here at the State University of New York at StonyBrook.  To make an on
campus call you dial 2-####.

In article <1991Feb17.191905.7558@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

>>David> I am sure that the author would be glad to send you a copy. His phone
>>David> number is 2-3605.
>>
>  Yes, that is my phone number. I live in a very small community, area code 1.
>
>Actually, it is my school campus phone number, and Darin (who I was responding
>to) lives on campus. When we first met, I told himn that I wrote a few programs
>including a dictionary program so I could store my psychology vocabulary.
>Obviously he either forgot, or he never realised my incredible programming
>ability (but inability to actually RELEASE the programs) :).

Yes I did forget that you had the program.  I plead the excuse that I was so
dazzled by your amazing programming ability that my brain rebooted thereby
losing all previous information. :)