[comp.sys.amiga.applications] PenPal and qmouse

drool@bisco.kodak.COM (Drool Rockworm) (02/04/91)

Anyone been successful using PenPal and qmouse at the same time?  I find
qmouse's ability to make the current screen the one where the mouse is at
without tapping very handy, but qmouse in general seems to hose up PenPals
Tool Box pointers.  Even quitting qmouse leaves hazzards when it comes to
printing.  I must boot and NEVER run qmouse for Pen Pal to work for me.
Any ideas out there?

NOTE: Please IGNORE the return address on this message if it says
nobody@kodak.com.  Use one of the return addresses specified below.

										<: Drool :>

|----------------------------------|
| There's so many different worlds |
| There's so many different suns   |
| And we have just one world,      |
| But we live in different ones.   |
|                                  |
|         - Dire Straits           |
|----------------------------------|

UUCP:	kodak!bisco!retreat!drool
ARPA:	retreat!drool@bisco.kodak.com

griffin@frith.uucp (Danny Griffin) (02/08/91)

retreat!drool@bisco.kodak.COM (Drool Rockworm) writes:

>without tapping very handy, but qmouse in general seems to hose up PenPals
>Tool Box pointers.  Even quitting qmouse leaves hazzards when it comes to

>UUCP:	kodak!bisco!retreat!drool
>ARPA:	retreat!drool@bisco.kodak.com

Stop using qmouse -- use dmouse instead.  qmouse will give you more
grief than what you've said.  See if your machine locks up/crashes
less often after you eliminate it.

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (02/10/91)

>In article <9102050634.AA05467@bisco.kodak.COM> retreat!drool@bisco.kodak.COM (Drool Rockworm) writes:
>Anyone been successful using PenPal and qmouse at the same time?  I find
>qmouse's ability to make the current screen the one where the mouse is at
>without tapping very handy, but qmouse in general seems to hose up PenPals
>Tool Box pointers.  Even quitting qmouse leaves hazzards when it comes to
>printing.  I must boot and NEVER run qmouse for Pen Pal to work for me.
>Any ideas out there?

Yes ! I have had the same problem which prompted me to search for the
ultimate mouse accelarator. The results of that search:

Get Machiii ! It's extremely configurable *AND* you can specify the program
to shut off such features as the sunmouse option (the one you are having
trouble with in Pen-Pal) by configuring it for a certain window or screen
name. It is also (as far as I know) the only mouse accelarator that you can
shut down with a script command. I would have stuck with qmouse if it could
have been disabled in a script file.

All in all I have to give it an A+ for a mouse accelarator/hotkey utility

A critique:

MachIII    A+
Qmouse	   B+
MachII	   B-
Dmouse	   C+
EasyMouse  C

(Anything else is just a mouse :-)

--
 -------------------------------------------------//-------------------------
 (ames att sun)!pacbell! ----> sactoh0!pacengr!americ!erk     Multitasking,

laughlin@fornax.UUCP (Bob Laughlin) (02/14/91)

In article <erk.1280@americ.UUCP> erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) writes:
>>In article <9102050634.AA05467@bisco.kodak.COM> retreat!drool@bisco.kodak.COM (Drool Rockworm) writes:
>>Anyone been successful using PenPal and qmouse at the same time?  I find
>Yes ! I have had the same problem which prompted me to search for the
>ultimate mouse accelarator. The results of that search:
>Get Machiii ! It's extremely configurable *AND* you can specify the program

    I've also noted several incompatibilities with QMouse and other programs.
These include: 1) does not work with DVideoIII. 2) QMouse's screenblanker
will kill a file transfer with JRCOMM 0.94 if the screen is blanked during
the transfer. 3) does not work with Bridge 6.0. (neither does DMouse).
I recall reading a few years ago somebody looking at the assembler souce
to QMouse and thinking it a bit unkosher in its register bashing.

   However I still use QMouse for one reason: It allows cycling through
ALL screens with LeftAmiga-M. And with a program called MiddleMouseButton
I can connect the MMB of my Boing mouse to LeftAmiga-M and cycle through
all screens with a mouse press. Very handy. I tried DMouse recently
and it did everything well, and probably in a kosher way, except the
screen cycling only works under some conditions (no other windows on
the screen etc.). QMouse does needs a QMouse QUIT option to use
in script files. Anyway I've ditched DVideoIII (the Director is still
much better) and no longer run QMouse's screenblanker.

   Does mach3 allow for some sort of screen cycling? and do you still
need to send in a shareware fee for a usable version?  Personally I
prefer a utility like QMouse/DMouse etc. to run from a script file.
A graphical interface is really not necessary.

--
 Bob Laughlin  laughlin@cs.sfu.ca

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (02/15/91)

[Qmouse vs Dmouse vs others deleted]

I recently started using ClockDJ instead of Dmouse, and I'm mostly happy
with it. It's easily configured from it's own menu, and it's clock
display is very small so a lot of WB space isn't wasted. You can shuffle
screens or windows with left-right or right-left combination of the
mouse buttons. This avoids Dmouse's need for having the pointer over the
background screen. There is one problem with this scheme that I just
found last night. Since the right-left combination shuffles screens, and
is also used for extended selection in menus by Workbench, ClockDJ winds
up disabling extended selection.

If toggling the screen vs. window mouse button sequence doesn't work,
I'll probably switch back to Dmouse.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com     or   blgardne%javelin@dsd.es.com

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (02/15/91)

In article <erk.1280@americ.UUCP> erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) writes:
>Get Machiii ! It's extremely configurable *AND* you can specify the program
>to shut off such features as the sunmouse option (the one you are having
>trouble with in Pen-Pal) by configuring it for a certain window or screen
>name. It is also (as far as I know) the only mouse accelarator that you can
>shut down with a script command. I would have stuck with qmouse if it could
>have been disabled in a script file.
>
>All in all I have to give it an A+ for a mouse accelarator/hotkey utility

I can't agree more.

Get MachIII.       Get MachIII.       Get MachIII.      Get MachIII.

I have used a couple of the mouse accelerators, but I needed to have different
configurations for WP, and SID.  I have been using MachII for almost 2 years
now.  I was looking at using Scriptit in combination with MachII, but it looks
like MachIII will do a lot of what Scriptit does.

--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
I loved the peace and solitude | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (02/20/91)

In article <2114@fornax.UUCP>, laughlin@fornax.UUCP (Bob Laughlin) says:

>I recall reading a few years ago somebody looking at the assembler souce
>to QMouse and thinking it a bit unkosher in its register bashing.
>
>   However I still use QMouse for one reason: It allows cycling through
>ALL screens with LeftAmiga-M. And with a program called MiddleMouseButton
>I can connect the MMB of my Boing mouse to LeftAmiga-M and cycle through
>all screens with a mouse press. Very handy. I tried DMouse recently
>and it did everything well, and probably in a kosher way, except the
>screen cycling only works under some conditions (no other windows on
>the screen etc.).

So use "Shuffle" off of Fish 229.  I use DMouse and Shuffle in conjunction
with one another, and I get an accelerator that is compatible with nearly
everything, while Shuffle lets Left-Amiga-M "shuffle" through all the
screens.  Works for me.   :-)

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || With.   Without.   And who'll       ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       || deny it's what the fighting's       ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       || all about?    -  Pink Floyd         ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||