[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Anyone Seen the New WordPerfect?

bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) (02/12/91)

Has anyone seen or used the new WordPerfect?  I sent in my clams for the
upgrade two weeks ago, and haven't heard anything.

I suppose I'll give them a call soon; I knew I should have declared myself
CEO of my own company...

Dave Hopper      |      /// The Amiga:      | The great strength of the total-
                 | __  ///                  | itarian state is that it forces
bard@jessica.    | \\\/// The Cybernetic    | those who fear it to imitate it.
   Stanford.EDU  |  \XX/ Revolution is NOW! |               --Adolph Hitler

mohabir@parc.xerox.com (Daniel A. Mohabir) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb12.121147.2343@portia.Stanford.EDU> bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) writes:
>Has anyone seen or used the new WordPerfect?  I sent in my clams for the
>upgrade two weeks ago, and haven't heard anything.
>
>I suppose I'll give them a call soon; I knew I should have declared myself
>CEO of my own company...

Yes, I have seen the new WordPerfect. I ordered the update on 2/5/91 (by credit card) and received the package on 2/11/91. Total of six days.

--
|******************************|*****************|********************|
|  Daniel A. Mohabir           |  Phone:         |  Amiga.            |

231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb12.121147.2343@portia.Stanford.EDU> bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) writes:
>Has anyone seen or used the new WordPerfect?  I sent in my clams for the
>upgrade two weeks ago, and haven't heard anything.
>
>I suppose I'll give them a call soon; I knew I should have declared myself
>CEO of my own company...
>
>Dave Hopper      |      /// The Amiga:      | The great strength of the total-
>                 | __  ///                  | itarian state is that it forces
>bard@jessica.    | \\\/// The Cybernetic    | those who fear it to imitate it.
>   Stanford.EDU  |  \XX/ Revolution is NOW! |               --Adolph Hitler

Boy, did I have some problems ordering the new update!  Here's the story:

After months and months of phone calls of "it'll be done in two weeks."
the release FINALLY was released a bit ago.  I ordered THE day they
sent it to the duplicators.  After 2 weeks of not seeing it, I called them back
and for some unknown reason, they HAD NO RECORD OF MY UPDATE PURCHASE!
I then fell into the "Hold on the line while I re-direct you" syndrome.
After I talked to 3 different people (and one of the operators asking the
entire room of phone salesmen) I was re-directed once again to the
REAL wordperfect company (the one that REALLY does the shipping, billing,
etc.)  I had to talk to a research dude to see if they had my order.  NO GO.

So I ended up ordering it direct from them, and in a week, it arrived.

But to make things worse, the original wordperfect update came to my door too!

I then had to call them back to find how I can credit my credit card for the
2nd charge.  I had to mail it back to them with a little letter.
What a hassle!

ANYTHING GOOD COME OUT OF IT?
yes and no.  The wordperfect update is really not much of anything (the
previewer doesn't work on my computer!), BUUUUUUUTTTTT  when I ordered
it direct from the shipping firm, they only charged me 15.50
and RUSH MAIL whereas WP charged 21.64!

Phil Dietz

---
 University of Nebraska          Phil Dietz                  //
 Computer Science          231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu       \\// out the
                           235b4271@fergvax.unl.edu        \/  Amiga!

34MASRB@CMUVM.BITNET (JOHN OBERMESIK) (02/13/91)

Yes, BTW, I am printing with it right now while I am on the NET and
formatting a disk (love this little multitasker).  Soaked me for 15.00
+ shipping.  You need a degree in chemical engineering to use the
page previewer, but the other new features are pretty good, mind you
I haven't had an update since 1987 (or a date since '81).  :).
One word of caution...I tried to make a macro with REPLACE and the
d*mned thing GURUED on me.  Seems to me they could have kept it two
more weeks (anyone see the movie Moneypit?).  The autorewrite is also
sort of buggy, but I'll keep it cause I need to save to I*M 4.2.  Has
anyone else had problems with the new version 4.1.12 (sorry don't have
the date, I always trash the HELP.WP file to pick up more room).  And
another thing, *WHY* didn't you guys at WP make it possible to have
the Status Line Codes in Set-up?  4.1.13 here we come.

John Obermesik
34MASRB@CMUVM.BITNET
"I call it thesis, she calls it feces."

cft@acsu.buffalo.edu (charles f thrailkill) (02/13/91)

	No...I haven't but I'd be interested to know what the upgrades are.

	Could you please post a list of upgrades.

	Thanks

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (02/13/91)

I've received my upgrade.  Not much to it.  If you don't have AmigaDOS 2.0,
you probably don't need the upgrade.  I haven't figured out how to get the
previewer to work.  Something about printing to disk first, and then loading
up the printed file from within the previewer.  I can't figure out which
driver to use for preview.  Hmmm... maybe browsing through the documentation
again will turn up some clues.

Anyway, if you want to run WP under 2.0, you don't have any choice.  And for
$15 it was well worth it.  Unfortunately, what I REALLY NEED is to get WP
library working under 2.0.
--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
I loved the peace and solitude | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and

jmarvin@.oracle.com (John W. Marvin) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb12.203554.3044@hoss.unl.edu> 231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:
Horror story deleted...

>What a hassle!
>
>ANYTHING GOOD COME OUT OF IT?
>yes and no.  The wordperfect update is really not much of anything (the
>previewer doesn't work on my computer!), BUUUUUUUTTTTT  when I ordered
>it direct from the shipping firm, they only charged me 15.50
>and RUSH MAIL whereas WP charged 21.64!
>
>Phil Dietz

Ah, why doesn't the previewer work on your computer?  That's why
I ordered the upgrade!  And what kind of improved font support
is there?

* John W. S. Marvin             * There are times when the wolves *
* Oracle Multimedia Development * are silent, and the moon is     *
* jmarvin@oracle.com            * howling...                      *

231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb13.190203.29566@oracle.com> jmarvin@oracle.com (John W. Marvin) writes:

>Ah, why doesn't the previewer work on your computer?  That's why
>I ordered the upgrade!  And what kind of improved font support
>is there?

>* John W. S. Marvin             * There are times when the wolves *
>* Oracle Multimedia Development * are silent, and the moon is     *
>* jmarvin@oracle.com            * howling...                      *

Well, I THINK I have  a conflicting task.  Supposedly PopUpMenu craps
out Word Perfect's "Professional" programming....

I don't know what to think about WP.  It has a TON of powerful things, but
then it's only TEXT and it's SLOW.  Now if the ProWrite, WP, PageStream,
and CED were to merge.....you'd have THE best WP for any computer BAR NONE!

Phil Dietz

---
   FACT:  the Nebraska Cornhuskers                           Phil Dietz
          signed a contract to lose the        231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu
          big games!  Yes, it's true!                 Univ. of Nebraska

bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) (02/15/91)

Thanks for all the responses.  I finally did get the update, and as someone
said to me in e-mail, I figure I'd better learn TeX.

This update is a piece of cr*p.  WP should either 1) commit to full-time
support of the Amiga, or 2) at least commit to a decent support for the
existing version.  The Amiga has a 'bastard son' image over there that just
doesn't cut it.  I mean, I don't want them to think that they HAVE to support
the Amiga. ;-)

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb14.023306.6105@hoss.unl.edu> 231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:

>Well, I THINK I have  a conflicting task.  Supposedly PopUpMenu craps
>out Word Perfect's "Professional" programming....

Any program that does pop up menus on the Workbench screen has to
be very clever to cover most of the cases.  From our perspective,
it looks to be somewhere between difficult and impossible to cover
every last case.  So when you use such a utility, you must understand
that it may not work with all software out there.  That doesn't imply
anything about that software.  WordPerfect may be doing something
unusual, but perfectly legal.

>Phil Dietz

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.commodore.com

griffin@frith.uucp (Danny Griffin) (02/15/91)

231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:

>>I don't know what to think about WP.  It has a TON of powerful things, but
>then it's only TEXT and it's SLOW.  Now if the ProWrite, WP, PageStream,
>and CED were to merge.....you'd have THE best WP for any computer BAR NONE!

Slow?  No way.  If you want to see slow, try Microsoft Word for PC's.  Get
a coffee while it is reformating the next 75 pages because you made a change
on page 3.  What a pile of crap that program is!
--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

ragg0270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Alan Gerber) (02/15/91)

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) writes:

>In article <1991Feb14.023306.6105@hoss.unl.edu> 231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:

>>Well, I THINK I have  a conflicting task.  Supposedly PopUpMenu craps
>>out Word Perfect's "Professional" programming....

>Any program that does pop up menus on the Workbench screen has to
>be very clever to cover most of the cases.  From our perspective,
>it looks to be somewhere between difficult and impossible to cover
>every last case.  So when you use such a utility, you must understand
>that it may not work with all software out there.  That doesn't imply
>anything about that software.  WordPerfect may be doing something
>unusual, but perfectly legal.

>>Phil Dietz

>     Peter
>--
>     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

I may be showing my ignorance, but here goes:
I tend to agree that this WP update is poor and poorly written. Another
"for instance" is the way fonts are handled on the previewer. You can
change the screen font in the program. But try changing back and forth
between fonts a few times. You will notice that more and more fonts
keep appearing in the font requester. Why? I have only very little
system programming experience, but it appears that each time you
change fonts a new copy of that font is copied into memory. So by
changing back and forth from within the program you can get an unlimited
number of copies of a font in memory. I've seen more than 10 "topaz
9" fonts to choose from in the requester. Jeezh, does anybody try out
these programs before they're released?

Regards,
Richard
gerber@rigel.astro.uiuc.edu

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb14.023306.6105@hoss.unl.edu> 231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:
>I don't know what to think about WP.  It has a TON of powerful things, but
>then it's only TEXT and it's SLOW.  Now if the ProWrite, WP, PageStream,
>and CED were to merge.....you'd have THE best WP for any computer BAR NONE!

That's what multitasking is for.  ;^)

--

231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb15.175734.7100@truevision.com> jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) writes:
>In article <1991Feb14.023306.6105@hoss.unl.edu> 231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:
>>I don't know what to think about WP.  It has a TON of powerful things, but
>>then it's only TEXT and it's SLOW.  Now if the ProWrite, WP, PageStream,
>>and CED were to merge.....you'd have THE best WP for any computer BAR NONE!
>
>That's what multitasking is for.  ;^)
>
>--
>Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
>I loved the peace and solitude | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and
>so much, I invited my friends. |  \X/ balances /_\   |   /_\  |  Mass Sarcasm."

Yeah right, 37 megs of programs to do a report.  Well we might as well throw
in TeX (both commercial and PD versions), ed, edit, Excellence, a
BridegeBoard, IBM WORD, IBM GRAMMAR CHECKER, IBM WP, and to top it off
vi and emacs.

Boy now we can get something done! (well as long as you have that
10 Giga-GooglePlex Megs RAM expansion.)

:-)  The correct smilie

Phil Dietz

---

jap@convex.cl.msu.edu (Joe Porkka) (02/16/91)

ragg0270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Alan Gerber) writes:

>peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) writes:

>>In article <1991Feb14.023306.6105@hoss.unl.edu> 231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:

>>>Well, I THINK I have  a conflicting task.  Supposedly PopUpMenu craps
>>>out Word Perfect's "Professional" programming....

>change the screen font in the program. But try changing back and forth
>between fonts a few times. You will notice that more and more fonts
>keep appearing in the font requester. Why? I have only very little
>system programming experience, but it appears that each time you
>change fonts a new copy of that font is copied into memory. So by

This is a bug in the AmigaOS. Its possible to avoid the problem, most
of the time.

It sound like they are using the OpenDiskFont() function as it is
documented in the 1.3 RKMS.
They probably should have caught on that there was a memory leak.

By the way, you can get those extra fonts to go away by trying
to allocate  a lot of memory -> ie. they get purged normally by
library Expunges. (If you do a "loadwb -debug" you get a hidden menu,
to the right of the normal workbecnh menus. Pick the "flush" item)

perley@trub (Donald P Perley) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb14.180710.25606@portia.Stanford.EDU>, bard@jessica (David Hopper) writes:

>This update is a piece of cr*p.  WP should either 1) commit to full-time
>support of the Amiga, or 2) at least commit to a decent support for the
>existing version.  The Amiga has a 'bastard son' image over there that just
>doesn't cut it.  I mean, I don't want them to think that they HAVE to support
>the Amiga. ;-)

I just got a newsletter from WP.  It had a lot of space touting the advantages
of using WP under a GUI (graphical user interface), but didn't mention
amiga as one of their versions running under a GUI.

I spent a little time trying to use the previewer.  The first thing I noticed
is that there isn't a horizontal scroll bar, so you can't preview the
right edge of a page.  The "50% manification" on the menu is disabled
unless you have the 2.0 operating system, so you can't even view the page
with "greeked" letters.

If anyone knows an easy way around this, like maybe a 4 point font(?), please
post.

-don perley
--
perley@trub.crd.ge.com