[comp.sys.amiga.applications] DVI to Postscript???

anderson@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (Brent James Anderson) (02/27/91)

Anyone know where I can get a utility to convert the DVI files generated with
PasTeX (from abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov) to a Postscript file I could dump to a
LaserWriter?

BTW: How does one dup an ASCII file (ie: Postscript code file) directly to
the printer port on a Mac?  There's no command line to use COPY or file
redirection like in Unix/Amiga/PC????

BTW2: Perhaps I should just ask if anyone has a DVI to HPLaserjet converter
because that's what most of the PC's are connected to in my immediate vi-
cinity and the HPIII's would probably have the same quality output as
a LaserWriter (???) and I imagine COPYing a straight HPGL file to the printer
port on an IBM is much easier than on a Mac.

BTW3: I don't really have a preference as to whether it's a Unix executable
or Amiga executable I just need some way to do either of the above.

Thanks,
-Beej

hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de (Georg Hessmann) (02/27/91)

In article <anderson.667648547@mrcnext> anderson@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Anyone know where I can get a utility to convert the DVI files generated with
>PasTeX (from abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov) to a Postscript file I could dump to a
>LaserWriter?

On UNIX, you can use 'dvips'. It is PD. Available via ftp.
May be, someone will port it to the AMIGA.

>BTW: How does one dup an ASCII file (ie: Postscript code file) directly to
>the printer port on a Mac?  There's no command line to use COPY or file
>redirection like in Unix/Amiga/PC????

With Word 4.0, load a postscript file, select it and select in print formats
(with option shift ..) postscript. Now print the text.

>BTW2: Perhaps I should just ask if anyone has a DVI to HPLaserjet converter
>because that's what most of the PC's are connected to in my immediate vi-
>cinity and the HPIII's would probably have the same quality output as
>a LaserWriter (???) and I imagine COPYing a straight HPGL file to the printer
>port on an IBM is much easier than on a Mac.

I'm not sure. May be, the printer driver of PasTeX will work also for
HPLaserjet in the DeskJet (no opt) modus. (?)

>BTW3: I don't really have a preference as to whether it's a Unix executable
>or Amiga executable I just need some way to do either of the above.
>
>Thanks,
>-Beej

	Georg.

--
  hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de		hessmann@unipas.uucp

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (02/28/91)

>hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de (Georg Hessmann) writes:

>>BTW2: Perhaps I should just ask if anyone has a DVI to HPLaserjet converter
>>because that's what most of the PC's are connected to in my immediate vi-
>>cinity and the HPIII's would probably have the same quality output as
>>a LaserWriter (???) and I imagine COPYing a straight HPGL file to the printer
>>port on an IBM is much easier than on a Mac.

>I'm not sure. May be, the printer driver of PasTeX will work also for
>HPLaserjet in the DeskJet (no opt) modus. (?)

I'm a total (almost) novice at PasTeX, having gotten/seen it for the first
time about 10 days ago, but am successfully using DVIPrint from the
distribution with my LaserJet IIP.  I found some additional .pk font files,
and find it prints nicely at 300 dpi, as well as at 150 dpi with the
fonts in the distribution.  I use the  "4" option for the DeskJet, NOT
the "3" option, which printed garbage.  I didn't fight success:  I didn't
bother to try to find out why the "3" screwed up.  It was something like
any white space at the front of a graphics 'row' was condensed in mode "3",
so pixels were shifted in bands.  "4" works fine, so far.

BTW, I'd appreciate pointers to fonts and font information.  How about
Helvetica-type fonts?  What all do I need to do to install them?  Are
the .tfm files as standardized as the .pk files?  Though I can print all
the doc files, I'm just starting to learn about TeX commands and defintions
and writing my own TeX-formatted documents, so try not to confuse me too
badly ;-) --  I'm only at about chapter 10 of Knuth's TeXbook.

Tom Bruhns
tomb%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com

stephane@Chucla.CAM.ORG (Stephane Laroche) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb27.122440.17824@forwiss.uni-passau.de> hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de (Georg Hessmann) writes:
>In article <anderson.667648547@mrcnext> anderson@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>Anyone know where I can get a utility to convert the DVI files generated with
>>PasTeX (from abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov) to a Postscript file I could dump to a
>>LaserWriter?
>
>On UNIX, you can use 'dvips'. It is PD. Available via ftp.
>May be, someone will port it to the AMIGA.

dvips is written by the same person who wrote AmigaTex (T. Rockiki,
Radical Eye Software).	You might to ask him about an Amiga version
(in comp.text.tex for example).

>>BTW2: Perhaps I should just ask if anyone has a DVI to HPLaserjet converter
>>because that's what most of the PC's are connected to in my immediate vi-
>>cinity and the HPIII's would probably have the same quality output as
>>a LaserWriter (???) and I imagine COPYing a straight HPGL file to the printer
>>port on an IBM is much easier than on a Mac.

On Unix, try the dvijep driver at science.utah.edu.  It works quite well
on Laserjet II.

>>-Beej
>
>	Georg.
>  hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de		hessmann@unipas.uucp

--
 Stephane Laroche   | Email: stephane@Chucla.CAM.ORG
 +1 514 277-8605    |	     Montreal, Que.,  Canada