[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Is there a MacDraw-a-like for the Amiga?

gefrank@sdrc.COM (Frank Glandorf) (02/28/91)

Is there something like the Macintosh's MacDraw for the Amiga?
Just a basic figure drawing application like you might draw on
graph paper with rulings. It would be nice if it supported text,
full page output and ilbm.

reeves@dvinci (Malcolm Reeves) (02/28/91)

From article <866@sdrc.COM>, by gefrank@sdrc.COM (Frank Glandorf):

> Is there something like the Macintosh's MacDraw for the Amiga?

Surely there must be something better than MacDraw!!!! given the
slight edge the Amiga has in performance.

nguyent@balboa.eng.uci.edu (Thien Nguyen) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Feb28.060109.19701@herald.usask.ca> reeves@dvinci writes:
>From article <866@sdrc.COM>, by gefrank@sdrc.COM (Frank Glandorf):
>>
>> Is there something like the Macintosh's MacDraw for the Amiga?
>
>Surely there must be something better than MacDraw!!!! given the
>slight edge the Amiga has in performance.

I haven't seen one that is out yet!  There is Professional Draw and
ProVector.  New Horizon is supposed to be coming out with Graphic Designer
which is very much like Mac Draw.

nj@magnolia.Berkeley.EDU (Narciso Jaramillo) (03/03/91)

gefrank@sdrc.COM (Frank Glandorf) writes::

> Is there something like the Macintosh's MacDraw for the Amiga?

I'm sure people have mentioned the popular commercial object-oriented
drawing programs--ProDraw is supposed to be quite nice.  Here's a plug
for my current pet project:

I'm currently designing an object-oriented drawing program to be
released as freely-redistributable software.  If anyone has any nifty
ideas that they want to see incorporated into it, or any interface
suggestions, please feel free to send me mail.  It will have an ARexx
interface and a standard way of adding tools, so anything really fancy
probably won't be directly built-in, but please send me suggestions
anyway.

Basically, I'm doing it because (1) trying to make an OOD easy enough
for novice users to learn quickly but extendable and streamlined
enough for expert users seems like an interesting interface design
problem, and (2) I don't know of any reasonably full-featured freely
redistributable OOD packages; the only one I've seen on the Fish disks
is mCAD way back in the #80s somewhere, which is pretty far out of
date.

nj

In article <27CF618D.27514@orion.oac.uci.edu> nguyent@balboa.eng.uci.edu (Thien Nguyen) writes:
>In article <1991Feb28.060109.19701@herald.usask.ca> reeves@dvinci writes:
>>From article <866@sdrc.COM>, by gefrank@sdrc.COM (Frank Glandorf):
>>>
>>> Is there something like the Macintosh's MacDraw for the Amiga?
>>
>>Surely there must be something better than MacDraw!!!! given the
>>slight edge the Amiga has in performance.
>
>I haven't seen one that is out yet!  There is Professional Draw and
>ProVector.  New Horizon is supposed to be coming out with Graphic Designer
>which is very much like Mac Draw.

	I'd recommend using PageStream! It is easy to learn,
gives excellent printout quality, imports EPS and ProDraw,
supports Bezier Curves and rotation, etc.
	The cost isn't as cheap as it could be, prob. $175 via
mail-order or so.
	-- Ethan

	Upon leaving office, Ronald Reagan began renting an
office in the penthouse of the Fox Plaza, the Los Angeles
high-rise used as the location for the terrorist movie "Die
Hard".

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar4.191305.10911@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	I'd recommend using PageStream! It is easy to learn,
>gives excellent printout quality, imports EPS and ProDraw,
>supports Bezier Curves and rotation, etc.
>	The cost isn't as cheap as it could be, prob. $175 via
>mail-order or so.
>	-- Ethan

$175.00 is _remarkably_ cheap for a professional-level DTP
package.  If we don't get used to paying fair price for good
software, there won't be any more good software.

Thom Cleland
tcleland@ucsd.edu
Friends don't let friends use MS-DOS

In article <17198@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) writes:
>In article <1991Mar4.191305.10911@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>>
>>	I'd recommend using PageStream! It is easy to learn,
>>gives excellent printout quality, imports EPS and ProDraw,
>>supports Bezier Curves and rotation, etc.
>>	The cost isn't as cheap as it could be, prob. $175 via
>>mail-order or so.
>>	-- Ethan
>>
>$175.00 is _remarkably_ cheap for a professional-level DTP
>package.  If we don't get used to paying fair price for good
>software, there won't be any more good software.

	My point was that for a MacDraw clone, it isn't a cheap
price. For a DTP it is a great price.