[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Is MicroSmiths, Inc. in business anymore?

sutela@polaris.utu.fi (Kari Sutela) (03/05/91)

I have now written two letters to MicroSmiths, Inc. asking them about
updates to their TxEd+ editor.  I reported some bugs, too.  The last
letter was sent over a month ago, but I haven't received any response
from them --- in fact, I don't even know if they have received my
registration card which was sent almost two years ago.

Does anyone know if they are still in business?  Is there a more recent
version than mine (v 2.2 or v 2.02 --- the manual and the readme file
aren't unanimous about the version number)?  I know that they should
offer online support on BIX, but living on the other side of the pond I
can't afford a BIX-connection.

Thanks in advance,
--
Kari Sutela	sutela@polaris.utu.fi

reynolds@iastate.edu (Reynolds Jesse Leonard) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar5.133738.4115@polaris.utu.fi> sutela@polaris.utu.fi (Kari Sutela) writes:
>I have now written two letters to MicroSmiths, Inc. asking them about

>Does anyone know if they are still in business?  Is there a more recent

	Well, OXXI just sent me a letter saying something about how they had
taken over TxEd (or MicroSmiths, I think), and how they were coming out with
a new text editor which you could upgrade to...that's all I know.

	-Jesse

Jesse Reynolds  |  reynolds@iastate.edu
(Well, I'm still thinking about a sig...forgive me)

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (03/06/91)

sutela@polaris.utu.fi (Kari Sutela) writes:

>I have now written two letters to MicroSmiths, Inc. asking them about
>updates to their TxEd+ editor.  I reported some bugs, too.  The last

Charlie Heath announced on BIX that he is busy with other projects, and
other than a AmigaOS 2.0 related bugfix update due (much?) later in the
year, TxEd+ won't been seeing any upgrades in the near future. Oxxi has
sent a letter to all registered TxEd owners offering them a 1/2 price
upgrade to the new editor TurboText. A cover letter from Charlie was
included that basically said "if you need ongoing support, consider
upgrading to TurboText".

I'd suggest you contact Oxxi about the upgrade offer.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com     or    ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne

jgary@ms.uky.edu (James E. Gary) (03/06/91)

sutela@polaris.utu.fi (Kari Sutela) writes:

>I have now written two letters to MicroSmiths, Inc. asking them about
>updates to their TxEd+ editor.  I reported some bugs, too.  The last
>Does anyone know if they are still in business?  Is there a more recent
>version than mine (v 2.2 or v 2.02 --- the manual and the readme file

Sounds like you have the latest (and last) revision. Microsmiths announced
on BIX recently that they are not going to continue to upgrade TxEd+.
Charlie Heath has other projects to work on now (and I understand it
Heath == Microsmiths). He is recommended a new editor put out by OXXI
(TurboText, I think is the name), and OXXI is offering a reduced price
for register TxEd+ owners (around $50.00 I think). I received a letter
from OXXI to that effect. I don't know if they are handling international
sales differently. There was a demo version of TurboText posted to BIX,
but I don't know if it can be distributed further than that. TT looks
like a nice editor, certainly more full-featured that TxEd+, but it
is also quite a bit bigger -- probably too big for most people to keep
it resident, which for me at least was a nice feature of TxEd+. My
apologies for any inaccuracies in this posting -- I don't have the BIX
transcript nor the letter in front of me, so don't hold me to the price
above.

 James Gary, BA,MS,SWM      U. of Kentucky       jgary@ms.uky.edu
"Prosecuters will be violated."

sutela@polaris.utu.fi (Kari Sutela) (03/06/91)

Thanks to everyone who replied to my query.

jgary@ms.uky.edu (James E. Gary) writes:

>Sounds like you have the latest (and last) revision. Microsmiths announced
>on BIX recently that they are not going to continue to upgrade TxEd+.
>Charlie Heath has other projects to work on now (and I understand it
>Heath == Microsmiths). He is recommended a new editor put out by OXXI
>(TurboText, I think is the name), and OXXI is offering a reduced price
>for register TxEd+ owners (around $50.00 I think).

Great!  I have used the demo version of TurboText and it seemed to be a
very nice editor.  In fact, I was wondering whether I should buy it, even
though I already own TxEd+.

>I received a letter from OXXI to that effect.

Haven't received anything from OXXI, yet.  What's their address/phone#?

--
Kari Sutela	sutela@polaris.utu.fi

reynolds@iastate.edu (Reynolds Jesse Leonard) (03/08/91)

In article <sutela.668266957@polaris> sutela@polaris.utu.fi (Kari Sutela) writes:

>Thanks to everyone who replied to my query.
>
>jgary@ms.uky.edu (James E. Gary) writes:
>
>>Sounds like you have the latest (and last) revision. Microsmiths announced
>>(TurboText, I think is the name), and OXXI is offering a reduced price
>>for register TxEd+ owners (around $50.00 I think).
>
>>I received a letter from OXXI to that effect.
>
>Haven't received anything from OXXI, yet.  What's their address/phone#?

	Here's the gist of the letter that I received two or three weeks
ago from OXXI.  It says that it has many more features than TxED +, and
even has the capability (in a setup file) to emulate TxED.  It comes with
this file, so you can use it just like TxED from the moment that you get
it.  It also has an AREXX interface, a Hex editing window, programmer's
calculator (whatever that is), unlimited # of documents at once, outlining,
remapping of keyboard, menus, and all text strings (so I guess it can even
LOOK like TxED, if you want), and English, French and German text.
	The cost is $49.95 + $5 shipping for their "early-bird special",
which lasts until the program is released, at which point it will cost $69.95
for registered TxED owners.  The special costs $59.95 for non-TxEd owners,
(for the "early-bird special"), and the list price will be $99.95.
	The author is one of the guys that worked on ARP.  The envelope
also contained a letter from Charlie Heath, of Microsmiths, inc., endorsing
the product, and saying that he couldn't possibly start on an upgrade before
Fall of '91.

	The address for OXXI is:

	  OXXI inc.
	  P.O. Box 90309