[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Maple information request

jwwalden@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Darc Tangent) (03/07/91)

Does anyone on this newsgroup own Maple?  I'm interested in knowing what you
think of it in general and in comparison to other mathematics packages (esp.
Mathematica which I'm familiar with).  I've also heard about a new version of
Maple being released and I was wondering if it was coming out for the Amiga.
Furthermore, I'd like to know if they have an educational discount and what
the address for the company (university?) that produces Maple is.

Thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Darc Tangent			   "Giants are just like people, only bigger.
jwwalden@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu	    Much, much bigger!"
jwwalden@miavx1.bitnet			- the witch from _Into_the_Woods_

hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) (03/07/91)

In article <4145.27d51db9@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> jwwalden@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Darc Tangent) writes:
>Does anyone on this newsgroup own Maple?  I'm interested in knowing what you
>think of it in general............
>I've also heard about a new version of
>Maple being released and I was wondering if it was coming out for the Amiga.
>
>Thank you.
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Darc Tangent			   "Giants are just like people, only bigger.
>jwwalden@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu	    Much, much bigger!"
>jwwalden@miavx1.bitnet			- the witch from _Into_the_Woods_

The Mathematics Dept at The University at Albany uses Maple as one of its
primary pieces of software in an Amiga Computer Classroom where we offer
a full range of undergraduate mathematics courses. The latest version of
Maple is Maple V. It is now in its latest stages of beta testing and should
be available soon. Information about Maple may be obtained from Janet Cater
at Waterloo Maple Software,  jecater@daisy.waterloo.edu. I am not affiliated
with Waterloo maple Software. I am a user who happens to be quite content
with the product.
                                Herb

Herb Brown  Math Dept  The University at Albany  Albany  Ny  12222

bcphyagi@csunb.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (03/08/91)

There are a couple of other things Maple users (and potential ones) might
like to know:

There is a Maple mailing list for discussions.  Send email to
maple@daisy.waterloo.edu.

There is a USENET group, sci.math.symbolic, for discussion of symbolic
math packages.  As you might suppose, there are lots of Mathematica
types there, but the Maple people hang out there too.

Finally, if you're trying to convince your supervisor/professor/thesis
advisor/system manager to get Maple instead of Mathematica, take a look
at the paper "A Review of Mathematica," by Richard Fateman of UC Berkeley.
It is available from peoplesparc.Berkeley.EDU  by anonymous FTP, as
the LaTeX source file ~ftp/pub/mma.review.tex.
--
Stephen R. Walton, Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, Cal State Northridge
bcphyagi@csunb.csun.edu until my Suns come back up