[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Weather Program

bryanh@amix.commodore.com (Bryan Harpel) (02/27/91)

   Does anyone know if there is a good amiga weather program or service
that provides up to the minute satellite pictures??  I was thinking of
something like Mindscapes Weatherbrief or something like that...

       Bryan

                                                           ///  Only
   - Bryan                                                ///   AMIGA
                                                      \\\///    Makes it
                                                       \XX/     Possible....
Bryan Harpel
UUCP: {rugters|uuwest|uunet}!cbmvax!amix!undrground!bryanh
INTERNET: undrground!bryanh@amix.commodore.com
         "You will die by my hand, For it is I who rule the land"

stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) (03/01/91)

Current satellite pictures are available for FTP at vmd.cso.uiuc.edu
in the phil.515.  They are in GIF format so you will need a GIF display program.
If you do not have direct FTP capability, you can still get to the files via the
Princeton FTP server.  Get and read the text files in this directory...
there is info on a weather discussion group as well as a service that can send you
national severe weather info (among other advisories), arriving in your
mailbox within minutes of their issuance.

Steve Masters  stevem@hal.CSS.GOV
ENSCO, Inc.
Melbourne, FL  32940
(407) 254 4122

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (03/01/91)

>In article <gXH1X1w163w@undrground.UUCP> undrground!bryanh@amix.commodore.com (Bryan Harpel) writes:
>
>   Does anyone know if there is a good amiga weather program or service
>that provides up to the minute satellite pictures??  I was thinking of
>something like Mindscapes Weatherbrief or something like that...

If you're handy with a soldering iron and have a shortwave radio there is
a PD/Shareware Wefax program/hack written by Dave Mc Mahan who is also
on the net. Drop him some mail if your interested...

All I have of his address is:

sun!apple!netcom!mcmahan (Dave Mc Mahan)

--
 -------------------------------------------------//-------------------------
 (ames att sun)!pacbell! ----> sactoh0!pacengr!americ!erk     Multitasking,

mcmahan@netcom.COM (Dave Mc Mahan) (03/08/91)

 In a previous article, undrground!bryanh@amix.commodore.com (Bryan Harpel) writes:

>   Does anyone know if there is a good amiga weather program or service
>that provides up to the minute satellite pictures??  I was thinking of
>something like Mindscapes Weatherbrief or something like that...

Sure, It's on my hard disk!  It is a weather fax (wefax) receiver program that
connects your parallel port to a shortwave radio or satellite down converter,
and then makes pretty pictures of the incoming data.  The program isn't yet
finished, but it DOES work!  I'm in the process of writing more features and
fixing bugs on it now.  E-mail me if you have interest.

It is available from me only, as I am the sole author.  It will save and
restore pictures in IFF format, but that has some problems due to the shared
library I'm using.  The next thing to do is write my own library routines
that do IFF save and restore of a SuperBitMap.

There is about $25 worth of parts involved which you have to put together.  I
have a couple of folks that have done this besides myself, and the results are
quite good.  The better your radio, the better your pictures.

>       Bryan
>
>Bryan Harpel
>UUCP: {rugters|uuwest|uunet}!cbmvax!amix!undrground!bryanh

   -dave

--
Dave McMahan                            mcmahan@netcom.com
					{apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!mcmahan