[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Does CED now have QEDIT-like block shifting??

rfrost@spam.ua.oz.au (Richard Frost) (03/10/91)

I use QEDIT on an IBM at work, I believe one of its strongest points
is its ability to shift text in a block left or right to allow
quick and easy movement of code from one level of indentation
to another... ie

consider the code: ..

void test(...)
{
  /* quite a few levels of indentation ...later .. */

              if (blah)
                {
                   /* code thats in here is just itching to be
                   a function */
                }
}

To put the code into a function in CED one must do a columnar block cut and
paste it into a created function (quite laborious)... with
QEDIT, I'd just position the cursor in the first line of code,
type an ALT-L (which begins the highlight-block-a-line-at-a-time mode)
move the cursor to the last line of the code to be cut and hit the
grey '-' key on the keypad, cutting out all the highlighted code.

Next, I'd hit the grey '*' key and paste the code into my empty function
and proceed to move all the code LEFT until it was indented correctly
for that function, with shift-F7 (move text left).

Does CED have the ability to shift text WITHIN a HIGHLIGHTED BLOCK left
or right like this?. I now CANNOT write code quickly in any editor
which lacks this facility, its indispensable.

The new editor TurboText has this feature (it even has QEDIT emulation)
but is terribly slow (YES, I KNOW the IBM does not have bit mapped text
like the Amiga, thus the IBM has superior speed in purely text based
programs) but I reckon that with some smart blitter work I think CED
could easily be able to do this !!!

--
.---------------.------------------------------.-------------------------.
| Richard Frost | USENET: rfrost@spam.ua.oz.au | FIDONET:  3:680/805     |

231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) (03/10/91)

In article <RFROST.91Mar10014728@spam.ua.oz.au> rfrost@spam.ua.oz.au (Richard Frost) writes:

>I use QEDIT on an IBM at work, I believe one of its strongest points
>is its ability to shift text in a block left or right to allow
>quick and easy movement of code from one level of indentation
>to another... ie
>
>consider the code: ..
>
>void test(...)
>{
>  /* quite a few levels of indentation ...later .. */
>
>              if (blah)
>                {
>                   /* code thats in here is just itching to be
>                   a function */
>                }
>}
>
>To put the code into a function in CED one must do a columnar block cut and
>paste it into a created function (quite laborious)... with
>QEDIT, I'd just position the cursor in the first line of code,
>type an ALT-L (which begins the highlight-block-a-line-at-a-time mode)
>move the cursor to the last line of the code to be cut and hit the
>grey '-' key on the keypad, cutting out all the highlighted code.
>
>Next, I'd hit the grey '*' key and paste the code into my empty function
>and proceed to move all the code LEFT until it was indented correctly
>for that function, with shift-F7 (move text left).
>
>Does CED have the ability to shift text WITHIN a HIGHLIGHTED BLOCK left
>or right like this?. I now CANNOT write code quickly in any editor
>which lacks this facility, its indispensable.
>
>The new editor TurboText has this feature (it even has QEDIT emulation)
>but is terribly slow (YES, I KNOW the IBM does not have bit mapped text
>like the Amiga, thus the IBM has superior speed in purely text based
>programs) but I reckon that with some smart blitter work I think CED
>could easily be able to do this !!!
>

>--
>.---------------.------------------------------.-------------------------.
>| Richard Frost | USENET: rfrost@spam.ua.oz.au | FIDONET:  3:680/805     |
>.-------.-------^------------------------------^-------------------------|
>| O F F | A NEW life awaits you in the OFF WORLD colony, the chance to   |
>| WORLD | begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure !    |
>`-------' New climates, recreational facilities ...                      |
>| The custom tailored genetically engineered humanoid replicant designed |
>| especially for YOUR needs !!                          .... BLADERUNNER |
>`------------------------------------------------------------------------'

The secret is AREXX!  Anything can be done if used properly through an arexx
port.  Simply Block off your text and press, say, F10...easy and FAST!

Check out a file called something like devkit.zoo on a Fred Fish disk.  It
has 6 or so CED Arexx macros in it including a COMMENT block module.  I'm
sure this module can easily be modified to insert a tab/etc....

Phil Dietz

<<<=================--------- Cheap Ad ---------===================<<<
    Phil Dietz               SWL Lincoln         665 MEGS! 2 lines
231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu    (402)421-1963        AMIGA, IBM, MAC, GIFS
   "What a deal!  I bought an ENIAC for 5 bux, but can it play Tetris?"

sschaem@starnet.uucp (Stephan Schaem) (03/13/91)

 Are you kiding about CED? Do you actually use CED PRO?
 IBM editor dont offer anything near CED (or any other
 amiga editor or any kind of text editor I know, or dont know:-)
 Have you done internal CED macro? you can use a single
 key stroke to move line right or left and go to the next line...
 I could this way esayer to the way to describ, or am I wrong?
 I dont programe in C, but assembly if I want to put a part a
 code in 'REM' (100 lines or so) I can to it with on mouse click
 and one more or leess long key press.

 How can CED go faster in ANY way? it could use less system time
 but that it!
 You attack the wrong editor, I thing of hundreds of thing that
 can do for me that can find evenpossible on a IBM editor...
 (I scrolling text with ced in overscan hiresInterlace, I said
 overscan because I like to see the most possible:57 vertical lines
 and 84 horizontaly).{

 I 100% sure that CED can handle what you want alot better than other
 editor can.

						Stephan Schaem.

CED is a VERY rare product I'm 99% behind.

NOTE: I used PC for 7 month and got sike and quit the compagnie I was
working for! Not for the pay, not for the hours (no hours) just for
the tools they forced me to used!!!!!!!!!!!! (I was developing for the
amiga with those PC!)

Now everybody know how I fell about the PC world:-) they are cheap
THAT's FOR SURE!!!!

dhansen@amiganet.chi.il.us (Dave Hansen) (03/13/91)

>Does CED have the ability to shift text WITHIN a HIGHLIGHTED BLOCK left
>or right like this?. I now CANNOT write code quickly in any editor
>which lacks this facility, its indispensable.
With CED, merely make up a macro that consists of:
SHIFT-R (replace)
(old text):CTRL-J

then type a Yes for each prompt (for each line) and it will insert 3 spaces.
Similarly, flip old text and new text and it will delete leading 3 spaces.
You can get much more elegant with this than many 'fixed command' editors.

For example, if you want to do this to a highlighted region, set bookmark#1,
mark text for the region you wish to shift, cut, move to bottom of document,
set bookmark#2, paste, goto#2, do the above replace but answer turbo which
will do it until the end of the file.  goto#2, mark block to end of file, cut,
goto#1, paste.  You'd be surprised at how fast this works.

voice: (708)691-4747             Internet:dhansen@amiganet.chi.il.us