[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Scientific Software

toepke@cherokee.cis.ohio-state.edu (kevin michael toepke) (03/16/91)

I have a friend who is looking to but a computer and I am trying to convince him to buy an Amiga, but he *NEEDS* scientific software (like Mathematica and
statistical package). I do not know if any of these (or anything similar) are
available for the Amiga.
	Any recomendations would be appreciated.
	Please e-mail as I am not a regular reader of this newsgroup.
toepke@cis.ohio-state.edu
	Thanks. :{)

I   toepke@cis.ohio-state.edu		I Buy a real computer, Buy an AMIGA   I
I   snail mial				I disclaimer - I know not what I say  I
I     110 West 11th, room 825		I disclaimer - This is NOT an 	      I

mccreary@news.colorado.edu (MCCREARY SEAN) (03/19/91)

	I for one would like to see a list of these packages posted.  I am
currently in dire need of a good statistics package (e.g. SPSS) and will be
forced to purchase (gag!) a MessyDos computer if I can't find one for the
Amiga.  I already know that Maple is available for the Amiga, but I have yet
to find out from whom, exactly.  If anyone knows, please send me email.

					Sean McCreary

jea@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) (03/23/91)

Try these:
Maple Mathematics paackage from University of Waterloo
TeX Math and Text formatting from Radical EYe
AmigaVision from 7-seas Math visualization
XLisp Stat from ftp

Joanne ALbano
Center for Visual Science
University of Rochester

sdl@d74sun.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (03/25/91)

In article <12911@ur-cc.UUCP> jea@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) writes:

> XLisp Stat from ftp

XLisp-Stat has a lot of nice features.  There is a textbook on
LISP-STAT written by Luke Tierney, who developed it.  There is a
version of XLISP-STAT available on a Fred Fish disk also.
Unfortunately, that version only works with an accelerated (68020 or
better) Amiga; does anyone know of a 68000-based version?

--
Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation

sl242003@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jon Paul Baker) (03/25/91)

AMXLisp has lisp include files for AmigaDOS, etc and allows c-structs
and calling OS functions.  FF181 I think is the disk.  Works on a
plain-vanilla Amiga.

(I asked a Lisp Scheme Q in comp.sys.amiga.programmer about 2 days
ago.)

sdl@lyra.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar25.141119.13976@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> sl242003@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jon Paul Baker) writes:

> AMXLisp has lisp include files for AmigaDOS, etc and allows c-structs
> and calling OS functions.  FF181 I think is the disk.  Works on a
> plain-vanilla Amiga.

Yes, but XLisp-Stat/Amiga is not just AMXLisp with XLisp code added.
XLisp-Stat/Amiga is in Fred Fish disk # 385.  According to the
description, it is a port of Luke Tierney's original Mac version.  And
that version apparently needs a 68020 (anyone know why?).

--

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (03/27/91)

In article <SDL.91Mar24231506@d74sun.mitre.org>, sdl@d74sun.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) writes:

> In article <12911@ur-cc.UUCP> jea@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) writes:
>
> > XLisp Stat from ftp
>
> XLisp-Stat has a lot of nice features.  There is a textbook on
> LISP-STAT written by Luke Tierney, who developed it.  There is a
> version of XLISP-STAT available on a Fred Fish disk also.
> Unfortunately, that version only works with an accelerated (68020 or
> better) Amiga; does anyone know of a 68000-based version?

And unfortunately there are no 68000 PD/cheap stat programs.
SYSTAT basically gives away a decent system for both
MAC and MS-DOS.  There are a variety of PD, shareware,
courseware, studentware, and profware programs for both
MAC and MS-DOS.  For the Amiga, there is nothing <heavy sigh>

--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.bitnet
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu