[comp.sys.amiga.applications] WP 4.1.12 feature == bug

Anthon_Pang@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) (03/29/91)

> jmarvin@oracle.com writes:
> [...]
> 4.  Try & save, go ahead, just try.  You can't with hypenation
> disabled.  If you don't turn on hypenation, you will lose your
> work.  If you didn't know that, you might end up with the
> "Exit WP?" requester.  Once you get here, you have lost your
> work.
>
> 5.  Auto-backup does not help.  Once you get to the "Exit WP?"
> prompt, your backup files are deleted.
> [...]

Try hitting F1 (Cancel) at the Exit WP? prompt...

jmarvin@oracle.com (03/29/91)

I just lost four hours due to a Word Perfect "feature" that I want
to share with others.  May this never happen to you!

How to lose all your work in WP:

1.  Import an ascii text file.  A program listing would do nicely.

2.  When WP tries to hypenate your comment delimiters, click on
the button that says "disable" hypenation.

3.  Do lots of work (and be prepared to lose it all).

4.  Try & save, go ahead, just try.  You can't with hypenation
disabled.  If you don't turn on hypenation, you will lose your
work.  If you didn't know that, you might end up with the
"Exit WP?" requester.  Once you get here, you have lost your
work.

5.  Auto-backup does not help.  Once you get to the "Exit WP?"
prompt, your backup files are deleted.

6.  I called customer support.  They said that's how it's supposed
to work, but they had no idea why.  I said it's not a feature, it's
a bug.  They said it's an enhancement request.  Then they said they
had heard that a 5.0 port was rumored to be in the works.

Yours,

* John W. S. Marvin             * There are times when the wolves *
* Oracle Multimedia Development * are silent, and the moon is     *
* jmarvin@us.oracle.com         * howling...                      *