[comp.sys.amiga.applications] Help got an Amiga ???? it wants a disk

anderson@lynx.cat.syr.edu (Joseph Anderson) (04/05/91)

	I've got an Amiga (inherited); I'm a macintosh, sun, iris type so
	this is going to be a trip though I understand it is a 68000 chip.

	there is not system or any software for it (None)
	needless to say formatting a disk is goin gto be a problem.

	I will go under the hood and publish the internals but I do
	believe I need at least an operating system or compiler.

	We are talking about AmigaDos, AmigaC and AmigaAssembler

	I can't tell what model this thing is it just says Amiga with two parallel or subparallel checkmarks.

	Video works but has a hand on it asking for a disk.

	Babe I need software! or an OS and I'll write my own but at least
	some software and then when I find out what model it is, upgrad
	e boards and maps of rom and experiments with wild shit like...
	will a 68040/030 fit in there?

	can I hang it off my IRIS?
	\
	What about a camera interface?

	etc. etc. etc.

help help!
anderson@cat.syr.edu
.

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr4.233955.29696@rodan.acs.syr.edu> anderson@lynx.cat.syr.edu (Joseph Anderson) writes:

>	I've got an Amiga (inherited); I'm a macintosh, sun, iris type so
>	this is going to be a trip though I understand it is a 68000 chip.
>
>	there is not system or any software for it (None)
>	needless to say formatting a disk is goin gto be a problem.
>
>	I will go under the hood and publish the internals but I do
>	believe I need at least an operating system or compiler.
>
>	We are talking about AmigaDos, AmigaC and AmigaAssembler
>
>	I can't tell what model this thing is it just says Amiga with two parallel or subparallel checkmarks.

    Amiga 1000. The first important thing to know is how much ram you have.
When booting, the blue hand is asking for a Kickstart disk. Look for
Kickstart 1.3. Then, you will need Workbench 1.3. (Actually any version
of Kickstart and Workbench will do except for 2.0, so even 1.0,1.1,1.2 is
fine).

>	Video works but has a hand on it asking for a disk.

  In order to use any software from a power up, you will always need to
insert a Kickstart disk because you probably don't have the ROM chip
installed.
  You do not need to insert the kickstart after a warm boot though.

>	Babe I need software! or an OS and I'll write my own but at least
>	some software and then when I find out what model it is, upgrad
>	e boards and maps of rom and experiments with wild shit like...
>	will a 68040/030 fit in there?

  You can get a 68030 board, but it means you will have to remove or replace
the floppy drive (this is available from the company that make the 68030
Mega Midget Racer).

>	can I hang it off my IRIS?
>	\
>	What about a camera interface?

  Probably available somewhere.

--
David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN
  -- Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)