[comp.sys.amiga.applications] plotter support

an353@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Adam Benjamin) (04/07/91)

A friend just gave me a Heathkit plotter and I was wondering what (if any)
programs use a plotter??
it hooks to the parallel port and I believe it emulates an HP plotter.
I am interested in hearing the name of any program PD or Commercial that
supports the plotter.
Also if you have any other neat ideas for using this plotter, let me know!
I am already working on a grey scale digitizer that should cost around
$15 dollars. (sure it will be slow, but who cares?)
Thanks in advance...
     //
   \X/  Adam B

--
    //                           | "Keyboard not responding
  \X/ an353@Cleveland.freenet.EDU|  press ESC to continue"

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/09/91)

In article <9104061830.AA09326@cwns9.INS.CWRU.Edu> an353@cleveland.Freenet.Edu writes:

>A friend just gave me a Heathkit plotter and I was wondering what (if any)
>programs use a plotter??
>it hooks to the parallel port and I believe it emulates an HP plotter.
>I am interested in hearing the name of any program PD or Commercial that
>supports the plotter.
>Also if you have any other neat ideas for using this plotter, let me know!
>I am already working on a grey scale digitizer that should cost around
>$15 dollars. (sure it will be slow, but who cares?)
>Thanks in advance...
>     //
>   \X/  Adam B
>

>--
>    //                           | "Keyboard not responding
>  \X/ an353@Cleveland.freenet.EDU|  press ESC to continue"
> Yes, another AMIGA fanatic      | ^PC logic in action ^^

  Aegis Draw 2000

--
David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN
  -- Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (04/09/91)

tn353@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Adam Benjamin) writes:

>I am interested in hearing the name of any program PD or Commercial that
>supports the plotter.

SuperPlan (spreadsheet) (both graphs, with pretty good control of
positioning and annotation, and 'word' slides of just text).  XCad
(basically anything you draw; also allows you to define your own text fonts,
so it can be pretty powerful for text stuff, but s_l_o_w at rendering text).
Ultradesign (As with XCad; text seems to render faster, and has more built-
in fonts, but the version I looked at didn't seem to allow defining your
own fonts).  Several other PD cad programs I don't use, so I don't remember
the names.  Your own program (outputting HP-GL commands is really pretty
easy; folk do it from BASIC programs all the time).  I understand ProDraw
also supports HP-GL output (it sure should if it doesn't ;-)   --  General
comment:  I expect plotter support for any 'object' type drawing/drafting/
cad program, and also for graphics for spreadsheets (because plotters make
such nice presentation graphics...).  I'd expect HP-GL output for any
printed circuit design program, also, along with Gerber support.

>Also if you have any other neat ideas for using this plotter, let me know!
>I am already working on a grey scale digitizer that should cost around
>$15 dollars. (sure it will be slow, but who cares?)

Well, how about a program that would do screen and iff dumps in color ;-)
(Not only slow but probably would wear out the plotter pretty fast!)

p.s. -- I'd be interested in the digitizer (scanner) if it includes
software...Lessee, say 100 pixels per second, 1000000 pixels, that's
only about three hours.  Good batch job for overnight.  You thought about
doing it in color?

Tom Bruhns
tomb@hplsla.hp.com