[comp.sys.amiga.applications] MSH

ferry@chorus.fr (Ferry de Jong) (03/13/91)

Note this is cross-posted to three groups, (Sorry but I'm a bit desperate.)
and the follow-ups are guided to comp.sys.amiga.emulations.

System: A-1000 512KBytes DF0-DF2 Kick&Work V1.3

I have a problem with messydos. I use DF1: as a messydos drive using
the default Mountlist definitions (From the included Mountlist MSH:.)

The problem is that almost all disks (I formatted with messyfmt (Default
values.) ) get corrupted after copying some files on them... (Yes I did
re-insert the disk after formatting...)

copy df0: MSH: all (Messydisk has a read or write error RETRY/CANCEL)
copy df0: MSH: all (After a break a second try give MSH: device busy.)
copy s:startup-sequence MSH: (Insert volume unnamed in MSH: RETRY/CANCEL)
	Although the disk *IS* in the drive. (Re-inserting doesn't help.)

These are the most often seen symptoms. Others are corrupt 'list msh:'
output, or 'info MSH:' (Not a device) and list MSH: (States msh is an empty
file...)

Anybody can help me? Please e-mail or forward posted replies to me because
I can't read comp.* groups for a while.

Ferry de Jong (ferry@chorus.fr)

gok0840a@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (KULP, GO) (03/26/91)

I am having troubles installing messydos (MSH) onto my 3000.
I am using version 34.4, from comp.binaries.amiga (I think V90 or V91)
I have a section of my mountlist straight out of the sample mountlist
given with msh:

MSH:
	FileSystem = sys:l/MessyFileSystem
        Device = sys:devs/messydisk.device
        Unit = 0
        Flags = 0
        LowCyl = 0 ; HighCyl = 79
        Surfaces = 2
        BlocksPerTrack = 9
        Buffers = 5
        BufMemType = 1  /* messydisk needs no chip mem */
        BootPri = 0
        Stacksize = 4096
        Priority = 5
        GlobVec  = -1
#

I placed Messyfilesystem in my sys:l directory, and messydisk.device
in my sys:devs directory.  I then type mount MSH:  and I get the reply
that mountfile had an unexpected end of file.  MSH: is the last entry
in the mountlist.

I am assuming that when this works, I will be able to cd into the ibm disk,
and address the data files that are there.  That would be kinda neat.

I am also using the IBEM simulator for the '20 and '30.  This seems
to work fine for me, and required the mountlist like:

/* A sample mountlist entry for the IBM emulator */
/* Include this file within you mountlist */

IBMA:
	Device = devs:messydisk.device
	Unit = 0
	LowCyl = 0 ; HighCyl = 79
	Surfaces = 2
	BlocksPerTrack = 9
	DosType = 3

#

so, what am I doing wrong with the plain old MSH:, and what should
I expect from it, and has anyone else had any experience with
the IBEM emulator?  What programs will/not it run?

Also, was there an emulator called the Transformer or Translator which
would emulate the IBM for any Amiga?  Is that still available?

Thanks,

Geno, the Happy Camper

lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu (wayne wallace) (03/28/91)

Folks, post, don't email! Others (like myself) are quite interested in seeing
exactly how to run this software. The docs leave a bit to be desired.....

Wayne

rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar26.054601.4699@isc.rit.edu> gok0840a@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
>I am having troubles installing messydos (MSH) onto my 3000.
>I am using version 34.4, from comp.binaries.amiga (I think V90 or V91)
>I have a section of my mountlist straight out of the sample mountlist
>given with msh:

[mountlist example deleted]

At its best, MSH is very flaky on a 3000/2.0, in other words, don't
use it.  It hung my machine several times in the 1 hour I used it.
Try CrossDOS 4.?? that works great, although you have to pay $30 to
get a versiion that writes ms-dog disks.

Rick

patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) (03/28/91)

If your really interested in reading MSDOS disks then dash out and buy
Cross-Dos. Its nice and cheap (under $50 CDN) installs like a dream (point
and click) and works almost flawlessly. By almost I mean that the version I
have (which has been updated a couple of times, but I keep forgetting to send
in the registration) sometimes makes df0: think that the perfectly good disk
that is in there is duff. That was one of the first updated that fixed it,
but its so rare that I always forget :)

Cross Dos multitasks just great. I always have it active. When I want to read
an MSDOS disk I just pop it in and reference it as 'DI0:' instead of 'DF0:'.
Thats all there is to it.

---------------------------------------
| patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca |
| 'The Outbound' BBS Vancouver BC     |
---------------------------------------

harry@demon.co.uk (Harry Broomhall) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar26.054601.4699@isc.rit.edu> gok0840a@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
>I am having troubles installing messydos (MSH) onto my 3000.
>I am using version 34.4, from comp.binaries.amiga (I think V90 or V91)

   As far as I'm aware, MSH does not work with Amiga DOS 2.  (I would
be glad if someone was able to show me where an update can be found).
   The last info I heard from the author was that he was aware of the
problem, but not the reason.
     Regards,
          Harry.
:

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (03/29/91)

In article <17826@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) writes:
> In article <1991Mar26.054601.4699@isc.rit.edu> gok0840a@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
>>I am having troubles installing messydos (MSH) onto my 3000.
>>I am using version 34.4, from comp.binaries.amiga (I think V90 or V91)
>>I have a section of my mountlist straight out of the sample mountlist
>>given with msh:
>
> [mountlist example deleted]
>
> At its best, MSH is very flaky on a 3000/2.0, in other words, don't
> use it.  It hung my machine several times in the 1 hour I used it.
> Try CrossDOS 4.?? that works great, although you have to pay $30 to
> get a versiion that writes ms-dog disks.

Unfortunately CrossDOS stacks up enforcer hits pretty bad.

I love enforcer!  It will do a lot to stop the arguments from different
software manufacturers stating that the "Amiga OS is buggy...etc. etc.".

Enforcer reports shuts them up fairly quickly...

> Rick

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 +--------+   ==================================================

DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu (03/30/91)

In article <patrick_meloy.3135@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca>,
patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) says:

>If your really interested in reading MSDOS disks then dash out and buy
>Cross-Dos. Its nice and cheap (under $50 CDN) installs like a dream (point
>and click) and works almost flawlessly. By almost I mean that the version I
>have (which has been updated a couple of times, but I keep forgetting to send
>in the registration) sometimes makes df0: think that the perfectly good disk

If you don't mind the long distance bill, you can call Consultron after
6PM EST and download the patches from their BBS. No registration is
required, and all upgrades so far have been free of charge.

I agree that CrossDOS is a great bargain -- I bought it mail order for
$17 (US). SUPPORT QUALITY SOFTWARE!

-- Dan Babcock

jcjust01@ulkyvx.bitnet (J. Crazyrat Justen) (04/03/91)

--

Get real!!  MessyDOS is one of the BEST packages I have for the amiga, and
it was FREE.  Don't waste your money and buy that stupid CrossDos package (I,

Check that sample mountlist entry that was included with the software.  I
think you'll find that one of the left comment things were left off '/*' on
one of your comments.

@jap

Joel C. Justen                       BIT : JCJUST01@ulkyvx.bitnet
Computing and Telecommunications           JCJUST01@ulkyvm.bitnet
University of Louisville             UUCP: ..!psuvax1!ulkyvx.bitnet!jcjust01
Louisville, KY  40292                      crazyrat@disk.uucp

#include <stddisclaim.h>

mtpins@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Firestar) (04/06/91)

From article <1991Apr3.102919.6@ulkyvx.bitnet>, by jcjust01@ulkyvx.bitnet (J. Crazyrat Justen):
> In article <17826@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) writes:
:> In article <1991Mar26.054601.4699@isc.rit.edu> gok0840a@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
:>>I am having troubles installing messydos (MSH) onto my 3000.
:>>I am using version 34.4, from comp.binaries.amiga (I think V90 or V91)
:>>I have a section of my mountlist straight out of the sample mountlist
:>>given with msh:
:>
:> [mountlist example deleted]
:>
:> At its best, MSH is very flaky on a 3000/2.0, in other words, don't
:> use it.  It hung my machine several times in the 1 hour I used it.
:> Try CrossDOS 4.?? that works great, although you have to pay $30 to
:> get a versiion that writes ms-dog disks.
:>
:> Rick
> --
>
> Get real!!  MessyDOS is one of the BEST packages I have for the amiga, and
> it was FREE.  Don't waste your money and buy that stupid CrossDos package (I,
> for one, did..and after using MessyDOS for the last year, I feel I was
> ripped off!)  To answer the original question:
>
> Check that sample mountlist entry that was included with the software.  I
> think you'll find that one of the left comment things were left off '/*' on
> one of your comments.

You apparently have never tried it on an A3000.  On my A2500, under 1.3, it
worked beautifully.  But it WILL NOT WRITE on an A3000 under 2.0.  (And
no one in their right mind is using 1.3 on an A3000).  It will read, more or
less, but it will hang if you try to write.

					Firestar

* Michael Pins (Firestar)     |   Internet: mtpins@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu     *
* ISCA's Amiga Librarian      |         #include <std.disclaimer>           *

bruce@zuhause.MN.ORG (Bruce Albrecht) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr3.102919.6@ulkyvx.bitnet> jcjust01@ulkyvx.bitnet (J. Crazyrat Justen) writes:
>In article <17826@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) writes:
>> In article <1991Mar26.054601.4699@isc.rit.edu> gok0840a@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
>>>I am having troubles installing messydos (MSH) onto my 3000.
>>>I am using version 34.4, from comp.binaries.amiga (I think V90 or V91)
>>>I have a section of my mountlist straight out of the sample mountlist
>>>given with msh:
>>
>> [mountlist example deleted]
>>
>> At its best, MSH is very flaky on a 3000/2.0, in other words, don't
>> use it.  It hung my machine several times in the 1 hour I used it.
>> Try CrossDOS 4.?? that works great, although you have to pay $30 to
>> get a versiion that writes ms-dog disks.
>>
>> Rick
>--
>
>Get real!!  MessyDOS is one of the BEST packages I have for the amiga, and
>it was FREE.  Don't waste your money and buy that stupid CrossDos package (I,
>for one, did..and after using MessyDOS for the last year, I feel I was
>ripped off!)  To answer the original question:

Actually, MSH is known to not work with A3000's running 2.0, and the author
has not been able to figure out why.  On the other hand, CrossDOS worked on
my 3000 just fine, and under 2.0, I never bothered with any of the CrossDOS
supplied mount commands and other utilities because it is compatible with
the standard Commodore utilities.
--

bruce@zuhause.mn.org