[comp.sys.amiga.applications] PasTeX - MetaFonts

dgold@basso.actrix.gen.nz (Dale Gold) (04/10/91)

I've just got PasTeX, and I'm really impressed by the results, although
I've had lots of trouble getting things working correctly in the fonts
department. I've learned a bit of German along the way though! A couple of
questions for the experts:

	1- I've heard of a version of Metafonts for the Amiga. Where can I
		find it? PD or commercial.
	2- As a TeX novice, I'm not sure if this will be worth my trouble.
		Would I find life easier with the commercial version of AmigaTeX?

Any suggestons will be welcome.

Dale Gold
dgold@basso.actrix.gen.nz

withers@nitmoi.enet.dec.com (George A. Withers) (04/10/91)

In article <7176.tnews@basso.actrix.gen.nz>, dgold@basso.actrix.gen.nz
(Dave Gold) writes:
>I've just got PasTeX, and I'm really impressed by the results,
although

I just want to add my voice to that.  Using 180dpi NECLOW setting, PasTeX's
output is the best looking proportional fonts my printer has ever done.  Far
better spacing and look than other things I've used.  Great job to Knuth and
to Georg Hessmann for the Amiga implementation.

>	1-I've heard of a version of Metafonts for the Amiga. Where can I
>		find it? PD or commercial.

Available from ab20.larc.nasa.gov (128.155.23.64) via anonymous FTP in the
incoming/amiga/TEX directory (at least it was, don't know after the reorg
thats been going on), is an archive MF2_7.lzh that is METAFONT for the Amiga
in the Public Domain.

I'm also a TeX novice and with the help of Stefan Becker and Georg Hessmann
I am up and running.  I'll try to pass along what they told me to help you
out.

First, when setting up METAFONT you get two executables along the same vein
as PasTeX, inimf and virmf.  virmf is the METAFONT for making fonts and inimf
is to make base files.  You'll need to make a base file to get started.  To
do this you'll need a mydevices.mf file (not really NEED it but it defines
modes for the printer types dealt with by PasTeX (previewer, NEC low-res,
NEC high-res, et al.).  The mydevices file should contain entries for each
printer (or mode) you are using, giving info such as DPI, etc.

An example mydevices file with entries for NEC lowres, NEC highres, and
Previewer is given at the end of this note.

You'll also need the CMBASES.MF file, any worthy TeX METAFONT archive should
have this.  I picked it locally from a DECUS tape.  Finally, you define an
assignment such as:

	AMIGA> ASSIGN MFBASES: TeX:Bases

Assuming you already have TeX: defined for PasTeX and you unpacked METAFONT
in the same directory.  Then to build a new base file, type:

	AMIGA> TeX:exe/inimf plain
	METAFONT C Version 2.7 <<mumble>>
	<output lines deleted>
	* \input mydevices
	<output lines deleted>
	* \input cmbases
	<output lines deleted>
	* \dump
	<output lines deleted>

This builds your base file.  Now you can make fonts.  Suppose you found
a font metafont file cmr10.mf.  This file would be added to the directory
TeX:MFinputs, you then change directorys to TeX:Fonts and type:

	AMIGA> CD TeX:Fonts
	AMIGA> TeX:exe/virmf "\mode:=neclow; mag:=magstep(1); input cmr10"

This would now build a magstep cmr10 GF font file and a TeX TFM font file.
You could replace the "neclow" with whatever device mode you had defined
in mydevices.mf.  NEC LOW (180dpix180dpi) also works on EPSON LQ printer
types (like my Citizen GSX140).  An option you could have exercised was to
add the command screenchars, as in:

	AMIGA> TeX:exe/virmf "\mode:=neclow; mag:=magstep(1); screenchars;
input cmr10"

This would cause a new screen to be built and each character would be displayed
on a grid as it was being converted.  Makes it slower but if you are trying
out a new font it saves some time in getting an idea what the characters look
like.

Now, in you TeX:Fonts directory, you have a file cmr10.180gf, GF format cmr10
at 180dpi.  To convert this file into the PK format (actually just a packed
version of GF), type:

	AMIGA> TeX:bin/gftopk cmr10.180gf

This creates a file cmr10.180pk, copy that file to you TeX:PK/180 directory,
delete the GF file (no longer needed), and you have created a new font!

If this verbose explaination was too long or inappropriate I'm sorry.  I just
had trouble getting through all of this (not able to read German) and thought
I'd try to save any net.readers from any hassle I got by.

>	2-As a TeX novice, I'm not sure if this will be worth my trouble.
>		Would I find life easier with the commerical version of AmigaTeX?

The number of $$$ in my wallet precludes me even thinking about the commerical
version.  If you have the means it has gotten rave reviews from people.  Some,
most even, proclaiming it the best TeX implementation they have ever worked
with.  It also gives everything at once.  Here you get PasTeX, then get MF2.7,
then go net.searching for LaTeX Style files, PK fonts, MF sources, etc.

An easier option for your first large volley of fonts is also to find an
archive somewhere that has the pk fonts already done for you.

As to documentation about TeX, everyone recommends the TeXBook by Knuth as
being THE source.  Myself, I haven't gotten to buying yet and a you can find
a suitable introduction in the free, net accessible, "A Gentle Introduction
to TeX", by Michael Doob.  There is also another free book about LaTeX called
"Essential LaTeX" but it doesn't go into the sort of detail that Micheal's
book does.  LaTeX also appears more intuitive.

Anyway, commerical if you can afford it but the public domain offerings are
a very feasible and powerful alternative.

>Dave Gold
>dgold@basso.actrix.gen.nz

 George A. Withers, Jr.                  |  "There is no life I know to compare
 Digital Equipment Corp., 97 Piper Road  |   with pure imagination.  Living
 Acton, MA   01720   AT&T: 508.264.2339  |   there you'll be free .. if you
 Addr: withers@nitmoi.enet.dec.com       |   truly wish to be."  - W. Wonka
      DISCLAIMER:  "Don't look at me!  I didn't do it!" (Krusty the Clown)

----------------cut here for example MYDEVICES.MF------------------------------
mode_def previewer = % Amiga Previewer
 proofing:=0;
 fontmaking:=1;
 tracingtitles:=0;
 pixels_per_inch:=100;
 blacker:=0;
 fillin:=0;
 o_correction:=.2;
 enddef;

mode_def neclow =  % NEC P6 Low Resolution
 proofing:=0;
 fontmaking:=1;
 tracingtitles:=0;
 pixels_per_inch:=180;
 blacker:=0;
 fillin:=0;
 o_correction:=.2;
 enddef;

mode_def nechigh =  % NEC P6 High Resolution
 proofing:=0;
 fontmaking:=1;
 tracingtitles:=0;
 pixels_per_inch:=360;
 blacker:=0;
 fillin:=.2;
 o_correction:=.6;
 enddef;

localfont:=previewer;
----------------------------------end of example MYDEVICES.MF------------------

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (04/11/91)

withers@nitmoi.enet.dec.com (George A. Withers) writes:

George, thanks for the help in running mf!  I'm bogged down in other things
right now, but expected to get back to it soon, so really appreciated the
step-by-step description.  There seem to be a bunch of us TeXnovices right
now...

>As to documentation about TeX, everyone recommends the TeXBook by Knuth as
>being THE source.  Myself, I haven't gotten to buying yet and a you can find
>a suitable introduction in the free, net accessible, "A Gentle Introduction
>to TeX", by Michael Doob.  There is also another free book about LaTeX called
>"Essential LaTeX" but it doesn't go into the sort of detail that Micheal's
>book does.  LaTeX also appears more intuitive.

I borrowed the TeXBook, and got started in it, but I think Doob's book is
much better for a novice (till you get to the point you really have to
know what's going on..., and maybe even then better in some ways).  The
"Gentle Intro" has helped me up the learning curve much faster.  In addition,
it's distributed as a .tex file, so you get a lot of examples along with it.
In fact, if you see something you like in it, just look at the
corresponding point in the .tex file and see how he did it.

Cheers,   Tom Bruhns  --  tomb@hplsla.hp.com

conan@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Faulkner) (04/11/91)

>	1- I've heard of a version of Metafonts for the Amiga. Where can I
>		find it? PD or commercial.
>	2- As a TeX novice, I'm not sure if this will be worth my trouble.
>		Would I find life easier with the commercial version of AmigaTe

you should be able to get mf_2.7 ( a metafont package) on abcfd20, which
if I am not mistaken the same place you got PasTeX.  I have talken (e-mail)
with the author of PasTeX, and he will work with you if you have any problems.

I think PasTeX is great, I have it completely integrated with Cygnus Ed. And
I am currently working on an Arexx LaTeX document builder interface with
PasTeX and CED.  It will allow you to select the document styles, layouts,
fonts, sections etc. and generate the correct LaTeX language.

Later,
--

Robert Faulkner                              conan@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
            ///                  Recursion:     Thinking

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (04/16/91)

Several folk have sent me email asking where to get "A Gentle Introduction to
TeX."  Since there may be more out there, here's a more public answer:
Send email to FILESERV@SHSU.BITNET with the single line

SENDME GENTLE

and you will get over a dozen parts in reply.  Cat them together and run
them through TeX to produce a .dvi file that will print into about
100 pages of manual.

You can also send the single line

HELP

to get more info on the SHSU fileserver.

Also, you may wish to try similar things with
archive-server@sun.soe.clarkson.edu, sending a single line help message
as above.  Also, try the same help message to MAILSERV@ymir.claremont.edu.
If this doesn't put you on the road to more TeX information than you can
stand, nothing will -- but of course there are more servers, too...
see comp.text.tex for an occasional Frequently Asked Questions sort of
posting with these and more...

Cheers,  Tom  --  tomb@hplsla.hp.com